• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walker Evans Air Shocks - Questions

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I have had a chance to buy several sets of these shocks in the past and I've always passed them up. But I have a few lower cost builds going on and think that I may give these a shot.

Performance? How do these work? I always see guys swapping them out for coils of Floats, are they really that bad?

Customizable? When rebuilding, can you customize them to your riding style?

How do they compare to other air shocks?

These are going on a ZX mod and a 1M mod if I purchase. Considering the older chassis technology, I want to put on better than average shocks so the sleds shine in places where they fell short originally.

Thanks

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The current coil over WE's are 10X better than the old WE's from the Dragon's. But that being said, they don't handle a very aggressive rider. The backs bottom out too easily and the fronts don't rebound fast enough. There are options to revalve them but I haven't tried that. I just decided to go to Exit X1's and haven't been disappointed.

I think Polaris setup the WE's (coil version) on the Pro's to be a light weight shock that "rolls over" easily to help make side hilling a breeze on the Pro. But beyond that, they just don't perform well. They do get most people by if they don't have the coin to upgrade.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
They worked for me after adding pressure. They came really soft from the factory and needed additional pressure to keep from collapsing so easy. I changed over to W/E coil-overs for a better ride and feel after 4 years with the airs. I just didn't trust an air shock in really cold temps, if the seal blows your riding out on your belly.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
They are completely different from "air shocks" like Floats and Ryde-FX.

Rebuildable, yes... They must be handled carefully off the sled so you don't scratch the shafts... Pitted or scratched shafts will leak.... handle carefully and dont ride on rocky dry trails... Best to put SPG neoprene covers on them for use.

Contrary to many thoughts... they are a good, lightweight MOUNTAIN shock...not for pounding trails or taking big drops.

Fastrax has great valving packages and uses a lighter oil in them.

I don't recommend these for really cold weather... say, much below zero.

They are the lightest shocks out there to boot.

Good luck.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My bad Reeb, I didn't ready the question well. Take the negative things I said about the coil overs and multiple it by 10. The air WE's are total garbage. I remember how excited I was to try them out when I ordered my 2007 D7. The sled rolled and dived way too much. There was no rebound and the sled sagged worse than it should of. If I was looking at buying a used sled and someone "added" these to it, I would come into the negotiation because I know I would be upgrading as soon as I bought it.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
They are completely different from "air shocks" like Floats and Ryde-FX.

Rebuildable, yes... They must be handled carefully off the sled so you don't scratch the shafts... Pitted or scratched shafts will leak.... handle carefully and dont ride on rocky dry trails... Best to put SPG neoprene covers on them for use.

Contrary to many thoughts... they are a good, lightweight MOUNTAIN shock...not for pounding trails or taking big drops.

Fastrax has great valving packages and uses a lighter oil in them.

I don't recommend these for really cold weather... say, much below zero.

They are the lightest shocks out there to boot.

Good luck.

Bumping this back to the top. Any reccomendation for who's the best to rebuild these? My Nytro project might be ridden a dozen times a year(if it ever gets done) and weight is my primary concern. Weighed a WE air shock and reg Float 3 back to back and the WE shocks are .5 lb lighter each. Pretty significant difference IF they can be rebuilt into a somewhat decent shock.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I would also like to try a set of these for a project with the weight being the factor. Is there any one who can also shorten these to fit an older sled.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I have these on my Dragon 860 still, front and rear. They can be shortened without cutting if the tech knows what they are doing.

I had Fabcraft / Mike revalve mine and later picked up a set with the adjustable Fabcraft chambers that had been shortened, had him lengthen them back out to stock (half an inch or an inch IIRC). Definitely work better than stock when revalved, got rid of the diving front end, and the rear rides great.

That being said, I am not sure Fabcraft is set up to do them at this time, he moved the shop, and stuff may not be set up yet...

I'm sure there are other guys out there who can revalve them for your riding style... just not sure if it is worth it for a pound or two. Unless you can get them cheap and can get someone local to work on them for reasonable and avoid shipping...

I am still running them on the front of the Dragon but I think they need pumped up and local dealer wanted $40 just to give them a shot of nirtogen last time around. 5 minute job... ouch...

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I bought a used set from the swapmeet and had Fastrax rebuild them. They are exactly .5 lb lighter each than a regular Float 3. I did not have the shafts drilled but probably will next time they need to be rebuilt. I'm curious to see how light the shock can get.

I haven't personally had one apart, but it appears that along with drilling the shafts, the fastener inside(14) could be titanium?

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Out of curiosity I ordered fastener #14 and it's just a standard Grade 5 3/8-24 bolt. Be easy to replace with Titanium.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have five ot the WE air shocks take offs in good shape if someone needs them, all are still charged and good to go and I have one that is minor damaged all are from 07 to 10 dragons. I also have complete 163 10 Dragon rear skid with WE air takeoff.
PM if interested
gwitch in wyoming

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Bumping this back to the top. Got a small metal lathe to play with so I might hollow the shafts and replace fastener #14 with a 7075 bolt just to see how light a shock can get.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Fast forward 4 years and finally got around to taking a shock apart since I need to shorten them. Very simple shocks.

The shafts are in fact solid aluminum, 1.125” x 7” & weigh 0.77 lbs w/o the bearing installed. Be easy to drop some weight if a person had the ability to drill out the shaft.
81A64BC2-0D10-4610-A9D5-6AE17DD07B6A.jpeg

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Finished these awhile ago. Shortened shafts and Ti bolts retaining the valves. Includes shock bushings from AC which are lighter. Using these on a 36” AC front end.
DC86C7E6-A075-4A12-9E13-B84A66139FE2.jpeg

Premium Features