• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built Gen 4 clutching review

D

Daniel475

Mar 12, 2012
Gibsons BC
I got in contact with David from Rooster Built to test out on of their clutch kits and to be honest I couldn't be happier. The kit includes two springs one for primary and one for secondary , a new helix and aswell 15 grams overall weight to the primary , my brother has the same sled but without the clutch kit so we could run side by side tests to see how much better the clutch kit made my sled, snow conditions were nice and deep lots of long pulls and tree slaying , we pulled clutch covers off and right away you could tell the difference in temperature , my brothers was boiling the water mine was not even close to the same temperature, I could touch mine with my hands , also the sled back shifts way smoother and maintains rpm much better , we found a nice big hill and put them to the test and the track speed was by far superior to the stock 850 clutching ! Just thought I would give my review on these clutch kits I couldn't be happier ! I was really getting sick of burning belts every couple rides !

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I got in contact with David from Rooster Built to test out on of their clutch kits and to be honest I couldn't be happier.

Took a moment to go take a look at their products
http://roosterbuilt.com/

logosidebarbw.png

As of right now they are NOT advertising a Clutch Kit for the 850?

I find a 800 E-Tec kit, but no 850 kit.

Is yours a PRE-PRODUCTION unit?

Rooster Built

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
The mountains of WA, OR, ID, BC
Thanks for the report Daniel!! Reports like that make it fun to do what we do. For those wondering we sent a small number of kits out to some previous customers that now have 850's to get feedback and Daniel was one of them.

We are now offering a limited number of kits for the remainder of this season and will be in full swing at the beginning of next snow season.

We are not on top of our website like we should be. Thanks for the reminder Chris!!

S
Dec 12, 2007
I got in contact with David from Rooster Built to test out on of their clutch kits and to be honest I couldn't be happier. The kit includes two springs one for primary and one for secondary , a new helix and aswell 15 grams overall weight to the primary , my brother has the same sled but without the clutch kit so we could run side by side tests to see how much better the clutch kit made my sled, snow conditions were nice and deep lots of long pulls and tree slaying , we pulled clutch covers off and right away you could tell the difference in temperature , my brothers was boiling the water mine was not even close to the same temperature, I could touch mine with my hands , also the sled back shifts way smoother and maintains rpm much better , we found a nice big hill and put them to the test and the track speed was by far superior to the stock 850 clutching ! Just thought I would give my review on these clutch kits I couldn't be happier ! I was really getting sick of burning belts every couple rides !

Do you have the clutch cover cut or any foam removed? Just wondering. or straight up stock?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Anymore info on the specifics of this kit? Spring rates, helix info? Was it tested w/ the new recommended gearing? I'm thinking of trying this kit w/ ZRP weights.

Rooster Built

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
The mountains of WA, OR, ID, BC
The Rooster Built clutch kit includes:
-Helix
-Primary Spring
-Secondary Spring
-Adjustable weight kit
Cost is $350 plus shipping

We have tested our kits with the stock gearing and feel that it works well for the majority of our customers and our combination. However we may advise a gear change in certain instances based on riding elevation and/or rider size. Please keep us posted on your results if you try the ZRP weights. Thanks!

Last edited:
Premium Features