• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Knee Pads vs Cat knee pads pics on the 18

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I use knee/shin guards on myself too. But I've noticed knee pads on the sled can keep me get planted on the sled better and help manipulate the sled in steep downhill turns in the trees. Only thing I'm worried about on these is you will have to strip off the velcro on the seat side every time you take off the side panels. And I take off the side panels a lot. On my past sleds I've had to redo the velcro many times on these knee pads because the vecro backing glue comes off. And they were stationary with side panel removal. The skinz mount a little lower than the cat ones, so your knees might be right at the top or go over the skinz ones. Would have to see in in person to know for sure.

20900789_10155639297157661_8465729523913684581_o.jpg

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Some pics of the Cat knee pads. They cup in and hold your knee pretty good. Instructions don't even tell you what size drill bit to use. It's probably a 3/16 but I used an 11/64 which worked, and will probably keep the push pins in better over time. Only thing I don't like about them is Cat imprinted the ugly caution tags on them, and you aren't getting them off.

I also picked up Cat's new windshield bag. Looks like it will hold a good amount, and I can get rid of the google bag in front of the steering post and put a sno pro grate in there instead so it helps pull heat out from around the steering post.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i rip the cheap decals off there first thing, but i kinda like the print on the pads for some reason... looks factory.
very nice.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
A company called sledtred was/is (far as I know) making knee pads that are pretty much hydroturf with a thicker backing. Peel and stick. I ran them on my Axys last year, and they looked and worked great. They were around $60.

A buddy found them through instagram, if I see them post anything up for the ascender I'll post it up here.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
On a side note see you have the pro armor teather same spot I put it on my 14...how did you wire it up on the 18? Thanks!

I enjoy having the tether there. Easy to get to and stays out of the way most of the time. Only time I didn't like it there was when I came to an abrupt stop and up and over the bars I went. It doesn't pull out very well from that direction. Just breaks stuff lol.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Turned out pretty good. I used bumper coating. Holds on there well. Matte but slightly off color
picture.php

Looks good and the way to go. I like the skinz pads on my pc but same as you I have to re-glue the velcro.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Those pads look like they will hold the knees in place when going down hill. I like it.

Mountain Cat

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
Same as I did on the older sleds on the wires coming out of the kill switch button

Your sled looks great, my '18 Mtn Cat is sitting in my dealers warehouse in the crate. Hoping to pick it up sometime next month. What are your initial thoughts of the sled thus far?

Did you cut/splice/solder in the tether to the kill switch? Do you happen to have a few pics of what wires you tapped into?

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I just used butt connectors on the wires a few inches down from where they exit the throttle block. Then used black silicone self adhering waterproof stretch tape and wrapped the hell out of it. Done it on all my past sleds and never had any connectivity or moisture issues. I tried to solder it but it didnt hold well. Dont remember wire colors, but the trottle block is easy to take apart and look.

Premium Features