• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Ski-Doo Summit/Freeride Driveline Updates and 2017 Belt Durability Improvements

brpcare

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
May 26, 2014
Hey Everyone,

As you may recall, for 2018 BRP announced changes to Ski-Doo REV Gen4 snowmobiles proven to increase drive belt durability – these are recapped here:
- New gearing (Summit and Freeride)
- New belt
- Better cooling in CVT compartment - New Clutch cover with improved flow
- Revised PTO and MAG engine mount
- Revised CVT Calibration
- Finned fixed pDrive sheave
- Frame reinforcement (directs air flow for better cooling) on mountain sleds

Also, as promised earlier, we are updating you on steps we’ve taken for 2017 REV Gen4 owners that experienced early belt failure, and those are outlined below.

While the vast majority of 2017 owners did not experience an issue related to drive belt life, there was a considerable amount of buzz surrounding belts and heat last season. We want owners to know that Ski-Doo is being proactive and transparent in addressing any real or potential issue well before your next riding season. Furthermore, as the OEM it’s our job to deliver on our product promises - and that’s why we’re reaching out to you today.

For Summit 2017 REV Gen4 owners who’ve experienced early belt failure, BRP will provide, the following updates:
- Gear ratio change
- PTO Engine Mount Shims

Those updates will be available, at no cost for the customer, on both 154” and 165” platforms. Combined with the new belt, they will significantly improve belt life and lower driveline temperatures.

Note that other MY18 improvements shown below are backwards compatible and can also be installed on MY17 snowmobiles at the owner’s discretion. Contact your dealer for more information. In order of effectiveness:
1. Change gear ratio (warranty)
2. Install improved drive belt
3. Remove engine cover and modify CVT cover
4. Install shims on PTO engine mounts (warranty)
5. Update drive pulley fixed sheave
6. Install engine compartment reinforcement plate

Crossover and Trail sleds:

Even though most drive belt issues were related to mountain use, early drive belt failure can also sometimes occur on crossover and trail models in very specific riding conditions.

BRP has made the following options available on MY17 MXZ and Renegade, listed here in order of effectiveness based on our testing. These are available at the owner’s discretion:
1. Install improved drive belt
2. Remove engine cover and modify CVT cover
3. Install shims on PTO engine mounts
4. Update drive pulley fixed sheave
5. Install stiffer MAG engine mount
6. Install engine compartment reinforcement plate

Contact your dealer for more information on those upgrades.

As always, please free free to ask any questions here and we'll do our best to answer them.

Thank you!

- BRPcare

Last edited:
S
Feb 24, 2016
WA

5. Update drive pulley fixed sheave

What exactly is number 5? Is this something to do with the primary wobble?

Last edited:
I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Guess the splines on the secondary side are to make it possible to run a floating secondary with out having to remove the shaft from the chain side...??...

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
485d3f4abfe1b92cb5af4d4285c12b4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
plus a few other updates (wiring etc) its a start...

SHR can take you all the way with proper weighted/clutched/RPM sleds...

call for details-BJ

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
While I appreciate the information and effort BRP is supplying, it would be better if all info was supplied. Yesterday I was discussing the up-dates with my dealer and he informed me there are a number of other items to the up-date, injector screws being replaced, wiring harnesses, hoses being rerouted to name a few. Last year I was one of the engine failure victims and I would like to know what was the cause and what is being done to eliminate that problem. (rod bearing failure)

Premium Features