• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hm turbo better than boondocker?

M

Muldonc

Dec 2, 2011
BC
Thanks Die Hard, perhaps I misunderstood SH, will ask about it tomorrow or test it at various elevations and see what happens with the current sled set up. Hmmmm, sounds like a road trip to me!! :face-icon-small-hap

First method cheaper, second more fun.

M

Muldonc

Dec 2, 2011
BC
Checked into the clutch weight issue and the man says no need to change for elevation. My misunderstanding, he was talking about changing the weights when I wanted the 240 hp. The only thing mechanical or requiring thought in doing the hp switch if your kit has the large injectors. HM still have a few tricks up their sleeves?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Thanks Die Hard, perhaps I misunderstood SH, will ask about it tomorrow or test it at various elevations and see what happens with the current sled set up. Hmmmm, sounds like a road trip to me!! :face-icon-small-hap

First method cheaper, second more fun.
Nothing says you can't still test at all elevations...

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Well I put an expensive liquid filled auto meter guage on my HM kit, I'll have to go into the Vipec and download what it says for boost, my guage is reading 7 lbs. I'll keep you posted on if there is a varience. Now I did personally see a HM sled at 6 lb on pump gas, run neck and neck with a silber on Ave gas 10 lb. IMO,The water to air intercooler is what makes the difference, this is why alot of Turbo drag cars have an ice box to cool the air. Denser the air, the better. The Vipec is just a nice expensive addition to make the sled a Pull the Rope and play. My turbo was installed at home, 3 pulls and sled started and ran great out of the box, we just had to adjust the primary weights that come with the kit. Very smooth no turbo lag.

Cold air+More Timing = More power period! The old setup(Piggyback) to the standalone setup is an actaul 2 psi power difference. Ive proven it on every build so far.

C
Dec 18, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I have never asked BD about engine rebuild intervals. I sold my last sled with 3200 plus miles (M8 RG 12psi) still running strong.
Properly tuned BD sleds run very strong and long! The vipec sounds very interesting. When one woooops my azz I will think about shelling out another $2500 on a $7500 kit(Canadian Prices)

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Id have to see it to believe it. If anyone around the bighorns is running a hm turbo let me know. Id be curious to run with one.

DURAMAXX has one his real name is Anson we are heading up in the morning. IT is cool but it does have a slight low end bog. Shane need to send him some tunning but we have been ridding and fixin A arms everyday it seems. PM him and ride.

M

Muldonc

Dec 2, 2011
BC
What sold me on the HM was its an all in one kit, the cooler intake air = more power and other benefits that come with cooler air, Av gas cheaper and easier for me to get than race gas when I go to 240, nice n neat under the hood, just pull n go. Down side costs more but I hope you get what you pay for. In the future the vipec or similar will be the norm for turbos on sleds, takes the thinking out of our ride. There will be further advances in this technology making me wish I waited a few more years. LMAO, not!!!

Personally, tuning on the hill is no longer fun, takes up riding time, thats what HM et al are for when they put their kits together. The vipec should allow them to do this no matter where you live if there is a problem with the initial tuning. We spend enough time repairing our self inflicted damages and our egos.

P

pinit

Nov 26, 2007
white sulphur springs montana
ok so here is some food for thought i have a db kit on a 12 pro ebc. i have a 7 psi actuator if i set my boost at say 5 psi i still get 7 psi in the gage and max recall so now i could say im getting an extra 2 psi on my gage ;) right. no it defalted to the actuator. also if you try and boost it to 14 pounds with a 7 psi actuator it has a hard time doing it effectively. I gess what im getting at is its more the just your gage or ebc or computer. but if you take two sled set them to the same boost and same clutching different turbo supplier i think they will be dam close. that being said here is some more factors not looked at back in the 90 i bought a 99 670 summit x band new my cousin bought same sled same dealer sametime both untouched mine would beat his considerable everytime did not matter who was riding what sled. so it could be someone got a friday at 5 sled

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I agree pinit. Im sorry but i dont think any kit will just destroy another kit at same boost levels unless other factors come into play. Worn out motor, bad clutching, fat rider, Bad tuning, etc. etc. But Hey i can be proven wrong. I believe i have a pretty well running boondocker kit. I would love to make the turbo days in cooke but im on call that week. But a true test would get 2 pros. 1 with one kit, the other with another kit. Set it up exactly the same, same suspension, same track, same clutching, same boost with same gauge in same location. Then run them thru the ropes.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
On a 2 stroke, you will have boost pressure 2 places, before/in the engine, and in the exhaust pipe.
Different turbos will give different actual engine boost. A small turbo will create more pipe pressure, ie lowering actual boost in the engine compared to a larger turbo. With the same pressure on the compressor side.
So psi for psi is only a comparison on the same turbo/kit.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I agree pinit. Im sorry but i dont think any kit will just destroy another kit at same boost levels unless other factors come into play. Worn out motor, bad clutching, fat rider, Bad tuning, etc. etc. But Hey i can be proven wrong. I believe i have a pretty well running boondocker kit. I would love to make the turbo days in cooke but im on call that week. But a true test would get 2 pros. 1 with one kit, the other with another kit. Set it up exactly the same, same suspension, same track, same clutching, same boost with same gauge in same location. Then run them thru the ropes.

Boost really doesn't mean anything though. It is more of a measure of backpressure from your motor and turbo kit... The actuall amout of air (CFM not pressure of air) is what matters. Take a regular little 2860 internal gate put it at 6psi, then take a bigger say 3076 and put it at 6psi boost they are not even gonna be close the bigger turbo is gonna detroy it.
Now put an effecient W/A intercooler on it, a Tial housing and external gate, More efficient Billet compressor wheel, Ceramic ball bearing senter section, Run more timing and leaner AFR's with the Vipec..... The list can go on and on how one kit can be better and more efficient then another.

Not saying that the BD and HM won't be close but saying that if you just set all turbo kits at the same Boost and there gonna be even is wrong... There are just so many factors that play into a turbo kit.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

On a lighter note I think I am going to Turbo days and going by you on the way... how about I pick up your sled and and compare it to the HM sleds for you:face-icon-small-hap I might have to ride yours a couple days before hand to get used to it though:face-icon-small-win lol

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
Boost guage reading vs Vipec reading

Anyways my 14 year old Autometer (Pro Comp) liquid filled gauge reads half a pound less than the reading off he Laptop when we downloaded a pass, so that's pretty close in my books, I made several passes at different boost levels and the gauge is fairly accurate. FYI

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The variable vane turbo is a far more efficient turbo than a standard turbo. There is a book out I picked up in a performance shop called real world performance turbo charger systems u might want to pick it up there is a lot of useful information in it about boosting. Its on 4 strokes but u can still get a lot of info like compresser mapping and how different turbos do different things its good reading.Me I'd never run a turbo without an external wastegate I love the variable vane turbo but there problematic but they spool fast jmho

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
The variable vane turbo is a far more efficient turbo than a standard turbo. There is a book out I picked up in a performance shop called real world performance turbo charger systems u might want to pick it up there is a lot of useful information in it about boosting. Its on 4 strokes but u can still get a lot of info like compresser mapping and how different turbos do different things its good reading.Me I'd never run a turbo without an external wastegate I love the variable vane turbo but there problematic but they spool fast jmho

What do you mean by "far more efficient"??? If you mean better spool or smoother power then maybe... But overall efficient power it is the opposite... The vanes in the exhaust side of the turbo become very restrictive in a VVT compared to normal turbos and ecspecially external gated turbos.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Boost really doesn't mean anything though. It is more of a measure of backpressure from your motor and turbo kit... The actuall amout of air (CFM not pressure of air) is what matters. Take a regular little 2860 internal gate put it at 6psi, then take a bigger say 3076 and put it at 6psi boost they are not even gonna be close the bigger turbo is gonna detroy it.
Now put an effecient W/A intercooler on it, a Tial housing and external gate, More efficient Billet compressor wheel, Ceramic ball bearing senter section, Run more timing and leaner AFR's with the Vipec..... The list can go on and on how one kit can be better and more efficient then another.

Not saying that the BD and HM won't be close but saying that if you just set all turbo kits at the same Boost and there gonna be even is wrong... There are just so many factors that play into a turbo kit.

Boost is the only thing you can keep the same to compare these 2 kits. They both run different turbos.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Boost is the only thing you can keep the same to compare these 2 kits. They both run different turbos.[/QUOTE

I think you missed what I was trying to say

Yes I know they use different turbos.... What I am trying to say is because they use different turbos the result is gonna be different at the same boost... You had stated earlier that you think all kits at the same boost will be the same power.... I disagree

Premium Features