• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first ride on a Supercharged Nytro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, on Friday, while I was in Alpine Wyoming test riding a couple new suspensions for the Nytro I got a call asking if I would like to take out a pair of supercharged Nytros for a day of test riding. Obviously you never say no to this kind of opportunity.

The Yamaha rep dropped off a trailer with two new Nytros on it.

One had the new "OEM" MPI supercharger on it that puts out 5-6psi/175HP, and the other had the MPI Stage 2 Supercharger that puts out 15psi/280HP

For comparison..
Stock = 130 HP
OEM Supercharger = (+45hp) or 175HP
Stage 1 Supercharger (+90hp) or 220HP
Stage 2 Supercharger (+150hp) or 280HP

As many of you know one of the primary reasons that I choose the Nytro in the first place was my desire to be able to add forced induction to the engine down the road without worrying about grenading it in the process. Of all the mountain sleds on the market, the Nytro is hands down the most "boostable" sled out there.

I started off the day on the OEM SC sled.
From the moment that I started the engine and moved the first 10ft off the trailer I could tell there was a significant difference. One of the things I have really had to work on with my SE was throttle control, learning to place my thumb exactly in the right spot to get the Nytro to do what I want. Given time your thumb "learns" exactly where it needs to be to get the sled to creep along at 3mph in the parking lot as you come around the from one side of the trailer to the other. Placing my thumb in the same position resulted in the sled moving faster and more vigorously than I expected. In short, I was surprised.

The engine has a more robust solid sound to it. Not that the normally aspirated Nytro sounds bad, but its a lighter more hollow sound than with the supercharger on it. This one is hard to describe, but the engine sounds denser, more beefy, and this is NOT an exhaust sound, but the mechanical sounds coming from the front of the sled. In short, its a very pleasant sound!

It only took me a few minutes to make the adjustment from my aspirated sled to this supercharged one. The power is absolutely SILKY SMOOTH from minimum throttle to Wide Open. There is no place on the power band that feels lacking, and the power is always right there. No delay, no hesitation at all. You push on the throttle, and as the engine itself spins up so does the power in a really linear manner. More than anything else it feels like you have a 4th cylinder running, as though the whole engine was pulled and replaced by a bigger, stronger, harder pulling engine.

I can't say how many times I have thought that what my Nytro needs more than anything else is another 30-40hp. When I am in fresh powder I often run the engine at WOT, and wish I had a little bit more. When I hill climb, I am running at WOT and wish I had a little bit more to call on. This OEM Supercharger that Yamaha has MPI building is EXACTLY what the stock Nytro needs.

The extra 45hp is PERFECT for all normal recreational "FUN" riding.!!
I don't think there is anyone who owns a stock Nytro that would be unhappy with the performance of this SuperCharger, unless your into big time hill climbing, or running in very deep powder on a regular basis. For general riding/boondocking this sled was a JOY TO RIDE. It's hard for me to convey how nicely behaved the extra power was.

Top speed was right at 90mph as well, which makes it no slouch.

Now, let me contrast that with the MPI Stage 2 Supercharger.

HOLY COW, what a HUGE difference!
The Stage 2 sled was a totally different ride.
While the two sleds were basically identical, the performance couldn't have been more different!
This thing had a visceral power to it that was begging you to let it loose.
It WANTED to take off.
It was like being on a thoroughbred horse that wanted to run, but you were pulling in the reigns and holding it back.

Pick your line on the mountain, point the nose, push the throttle and HOLD ON FOR THE RIDE, because she was going up, with or without you!! When you opened up the throttle, you HAD TO HOLD ON or the sled would take off without you. Seriously, the pull from the acceleration was awesome. It felt like the sled was going to take off out from under you and leave you behind (which it did for me once when I made the mistake of hitting the throttle at the wrong moment).

At 90mph, with both sleds side by side, I could throttle up the engine to 100% and just leave the other sled behind like it wasn't even there.

For the 4 hours or so that we rode these two sleds today in Island Park, we never found a mountain that we could open up the Stage 1 to 100% for a long climb. The hills we were playing on were just TOO small. The darn sled would be accelerating all the way up the mountain and we would have to let off on the throttle well before max boost was ever achieved. This engine has some serious legs and wants to be in the STEEP and DEEP where it can breath deeply and really run. Mostly what was happening was a long series of short blips to the throttle all the way up the hillside. This sled would be perfect for a place like Cooke City with huge open hillsides of chest deep powder!

I had never been on a sled that could pull a wheelie before, and its a heck of a sensation to hit the throttle and feel the front end of the sled come up and off the ground. With only 2 full seasons of riding behind me, I could get into some serious trouble with this!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

One more thing that was really striking between the two sleds.
FUEL CONSUMPTION.

This came as a real suprise to us today. The stage 2 sled burned a LOT more fuel than the OEM one did. For the same day's riding, the stage one burned 2-3 bars more gas than the OEM did. I have not filled up the two sleds yet to know the exact number of gallons, but we had to call the day after only a few hours because we were down to two bars on the stage one and still had to get back to the trailer. I can clearly see why guys with the big blowers upgrade to the larger fuel tanks and often carry a spare can as well. That smile that you can't wipe off your face comes at the price of an extra few gallons of gas burned on every trip.

All in all it was a terrific day.
Both sleds were incredibly fun to ride, and both behaved VERY differently.

My guess is that Yamaha is going to sell a TON of the new OEM supercharged sleds!

And for those more seasoned riders who need the extra power, you can't beat the stage 2 kit from MPI. I have new found respect for those who can pilot that rocketship!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Only time will tell, but Yamaha certainly has all the bits and pieces to make a KILLER mountain sled if they set their mind to it.

For now, they seem to have left it up to the enthusiasts to find and assemble all the bits and pieces to make up that killer sled.

With the introduction of this new Supercharger and the new lightweight rear skid, they "appear" to be taking the first tentative corporate steps in the right direction at long last.

T

TheOneBigMike

Jan 31, 2010
Good to hear you had fun. I remember pretty much the same feeling my first time. With all their years of experience building four stroke mountain sleds, it should be interesting to see the new M1100T and the MPI supercharged Nytros competing to be the best of new wave four stroke power with warranty.

One thing I was wondering about the difference in the two sleds. Was it basically different tuning on the same supercharger? In other words could a person run it at warranty level until it runs out, then decide to turn it up without many changes or money (like highjacker box for M1100T) ?

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Only time will tell, but Yamaha certainly has all the bits and pieces to make a KILLER mountain sled if they set their mind to it.

For now, they seem to have left it up to the enthusiasts to find and assemble all the bits and pieces to make up that killer sled.

With the introduction of this new Supercharger and the new lightweight rear skid, they "appear" to be taking the first tentative corporate steps in the right direction at long last.
Sounds like you had a blast. Next year it will be my turn. So did you try the lightweight suspension? I love mine.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In other words could a person run it at warranty level until it runs out, then decide to turn it up without many changes or money (like highjacker box for M1100T) ?

If I understand the details the unit that MPI manufacturers for Yamaha is IDENTICAL, and is designed so that there is an upgrade path possible.

ORIGINAL POST EDITED TO REFLECT NEW INFORMATION.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What do you think the fuel burn on the OEM was, say compared to your own stock one for playing about the same way and time?

If I had had my stock SE on the same trip, I don't think I would have burned HALF a tank of gas for everything we did.

There is no doubt but that the supercharger consumes more fuel, and the bigger charger is hungrier than the little one.

Don't get me wrong here.
For the pure JOY that comes from this kind of power, I would spend another 2 gallons of gas IN A HEARTBEAT on every trip out for the rest of my life!!:face-icon-small-hap

The Nytro with the OEM Supercharger just brings that sled to life.
The added 45hp makes a HUGE difference in the sled's general ability to "GO".

I am really not kidding when I said EVERYONE would be happy with the extra power that that kit delivers.

And this isn't to say that there isn't a great turbo solution that delivers similar results. Maybe there is, but I have no experience on any of them yet. What I know, first hand, is that the Yamaha Supercharger WORKS, and it works REALLY WELL.

Running up and down the trail, climbing small chutes, playing in the trees, running through the meadows, were all MORE FUN for me with the smaller supercharger than with the larger one.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As far as fuel economy goes, I was riding last weekend and my motor sputtered at 38 miles. So around 5 mpg. This was at 13psi.
Wow.
5mpg is SERIOUSLY low mileage.

Do you carry a LOT of extra gas, or just not use the sled for any real distance rides??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now go try a turbo sled, you'll never buy the super charger. The turbo gives you the fuel mileage back with more power on top.

M5
The Turbo vs. Supercharger debate will never end and can't be won by either side.

The Turbo is more efficient in building horsepower per unit of fuel, no argument, but beyond that point the differences get bigger and bigger.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sounds like you had a blast. Next year it will be my turn. So did you try the lightweight suspension? I love mine.
Yes, but with the extra power from the superchargers it wasn't a fair comparison against a stock sled. The power to weight ratio was SO different that I didn't notice the suspension at all. My focus was totally on the throttle all day.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Yes, but with the extra power from the superchargers it wasn't a fair comparison against a stock sled. The power to weight ratio was SO different that I didn't notice the suspension at all. My focus was totally on the throttle all day.

So who is installing the supercharger on your sled and when? It's only$$$$. After reading your review. I cant wait for next year.:nod:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
If I understand the details the unit that MPI manufacturers for Yamaha is smaller than the stage one, and is designed so that there is NO upgrade path possible. I think Yamaha was pretty specific in that requirement to MPI. Seems like I recall him telling me it was a smaller supercharger that wouldn't allow you to change the pulley diameter to try and spin it up any faster.

NOT true. The kit we sell Yamaha uses the same supercharger as the stage one. The difference is one has an intercooler and one doesn't. We have upgrade kits in stock and ready to ship. It includes an intercooler; re-flash of your GEMS controller, cold air intake and all necessary hardware to complete the switch. It’s actually an easy change out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
NOT true. The kit we sell Yamaha uses the same supercharger as the stage one. The difference is one has an intercooler and one doesn't. We have upgrade kits in stock and ready to ship. It includes an intercooler; re-flash of your GEMS controller, cold air intake and all necessary hardware to complete the switch. It’s actually an easy change out.

WELL HOT DAMN!

I STAND CORRECTED!

Looks like YOU CAN UPGRADE the OEM YAMAHA SUPERCHARGER KIT to a full blown STAGE ONE!

M
Jan 14, 2004
With a super you are making boost right from the get go which takes fuel theres no way around it because its mechanical, once the pulleys speed up they make boost and you need the fuel to keep from going lean so you end up wasting a lot of fuel when you don't really need to be on it and could be just cruising, with a turbo you can ride it almost like a stock sled till you want the jam and then whack the throttle, its a way more practical solution in the end. On an easy day I can get 60 miles out of my stock 7 gallon tank. On a hard day I can still get 50 miles while making 240 hp when ever I want it.

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
zoomweapon.jpg

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
With a super you are making boost right from the get go which takes fuel theres no way around it because its mechanical, once the pulleys speed up they make boost and you need the fuel to keep from going lean so you end up wasting a lot of fuel when you don't really need to be on it and could be just cruising, with a turbo you can ride it almost like a stock sled till you want the jam and then whack the throttle, its a way more practical solution in the end. On an easy day I can get 60 miles out of my stock 7 gallon tank. On a hard day I can still get 50 miles while making 240 hp when ever I want it.

M5

yes, you are makign boost from RPM one...but...

if you were on a treadmill, would the boost be enough to take flight?

or

If you were on a track stand, would you be able to tune your boost....

Sorry, could not resist...had a flashback moment...

Premium Features