• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

alpine nytro "heat"

M
Dec 29, 2008
hey guys quick question, i just got a front mount nytro built, love it, but does that turbo throw heat! i took the head light out, added 3 more big vents, there lots of air flow, but it still it trying to melt the plastic where my 12v plug was, any answers for me?

(or is this a disadvantage to having a front mount?)

G

GRINreeper

Jan 5, 2010
Kelowna B.C.
What about a vent kit like they use on Simmons Propane beasts. Climbmax uses one on his sled. not really sure if that applies to alpine kits or not.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
venting

Not sure what you would have but I saw one last week that had massive venting in the panels that would be on the inside of each of your knees, big vent between steering post and guage pod too. That's one of the few draw backs of a front mount from what I've heard. Rear mounts need extra venting up there too.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
huummmm what kinda kits is it? u know where a guy can find it? or the name of it?

The vent kit comes as part of the turbo kit, you might have to custom design something to fit yours. Maybe cal Chad at CR racing and talk to him about possibly designing something for you.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Had same issue last year with my Nytro...my turbo is below my gas tank...but after a hard pull, my intercooler would be too hot to touch...this year, I went with a Skinz Air Frame hood...now the intercooler is barely warm to the touch...and the heat is noticably better under hood...

Standing next to the sled after a pull you can feel the heat coming up...but that is NOTHING compared to the very warm plastic from last year...

Here is a pic of it...

Picture165Medium.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Get as much venting as you can to let the heat out, or you will have lot's of melted plastic or worse. You have to deal with that on a front mount. Contrary to what others are saying, you don't need extra venting on a rear mount, not on MCX anyway. Not sure who makes it but I saw one Alpine front mount with a big screen vent on the left side, maybe phone Alpine and ask them. I am surprised that whoever built it wouldn't have dealt with the venting as it's not good for business if you build a turbo and it burns down :face-icon-small-sho

M
Dec 29, 2008
hes a well know cat turbo guy, makes some pretty sick cats but never a yamaha turbo, so theres a lil bit of a learning curve, ill take some pics and set them up see what u think, maybe u'll have a better idea of what im dealing with! other than that the sled is SICK!!!!

M
Dec 29, 2008
oh yes and the air frame hood i looked at but......................... but i love to play in the trees and well we all know what happens when u do this.... its just a matter of time before u smoke one, i don't think that air frame hood would hold up well, or am i wrong?

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
oh yes and the air frame hood i looked at but......................... but i love to play in the trees and well we all know what happens when u do this.... its just a matter of time before u smoke one, i don't think that air frame hood would hold up well, or am i wrong?

I live in NW MT, and all we have it tree riding...10feet apart is a "line" for us...

I have banged it across branches...ran on that bumped the frame came up and broke my finger last week...so it takes a BIG hit...when I took the hood off to fix my sub frame, I had about a cup of needles drop out of the screen...

It is pretty tough stuff...I am not the most gentle with my gear :)

have had the sled roll over, no issues...hit trees with hood no issues...

you can worst case, always buy another skin for it...

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Looks to me like you have lots of room for cooling air to get in, you just need to add more venting for the hot air to get out.

Last edited:
Heat Solution

When the kit is installed you need to remove the 12Volt plug and cut out a portion of the Tank shroud. You will also need to place heat tape on the Left hand side of the hood and left hand of the Tank. The Heat Stack from the turbo will direct heat out of the 12volt location, as well you can add a 4" Diameter vent on the side of the tank shroud to help heat Exhaust. Attached are pictures of what we have done give todd or dean a call for any questions. 250-8044334

Nytro Heat Pic #2.jpg Nytro Heat.jpg Nytro # 3.jpg

Premium Features