• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

altitude sickness

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Okay, so every time I go to the mountains (9-11,000 alt), the first day, I get terrible headaches. After that, I'm aclimated and can concentrate on riding. I already take Acetazolamide a couple of days before the trip, but that doesn't seem to help. My question is this: anybody else have any ideas on adjusting to altitude? I even talked to the head of cardio at a Laramie hospital. She dispelled the myth about taking oxygen. That just starts your aclimation to altitude at the beginning again. Any home remedies? (Besides percocet and Jack Daniels)? The things we go through to get to the powder!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
get in better shape, hate to sound annoying for saying it, but you body is set to run sorta ok at low elevations, now it has to work twice as hard as it would when you go up in elevation, and its not used to it. Sorta like taking a poorly tuned sled from the low to high, it just amplifies the problem, i know most of us on here arent in the best cardio shape ever, but it is the best thing you can do ever. Most mountain riding is WAY harder than what most of us do on a day to day basis, so all of a sudden, your working way harder and have less air.

My advice?? start jogging or something, go out for like 20 minutes a day and just work around, your body will handle it a LOT better. trust me. I was a cross country runner in highschool, and when we went riding, i was the last one to be panting, or just tired in general. My riding buddies were both farm boys, and they are without a doubt way more physicaly stronger and could lift more for longer amounts of time then me, but they cant get any freakin air to there muscles, so then they are much less strong then I.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
getting in shape

No offense, but I'm already in good shape. I've been going to gym 4 times a week since 1985, eat right most of the time, don't smoke, etc. At 10,000 alt, even a cross-country runner will get out of breath digging out a 500 lb sled:D If anything, I work out even harder as a trip approaches. I make sure to do seated rows to simulate pulling against the handlebars. I notice how others adjust to altitude: waking up several times a night, pukin' for no reason, headaches, etc. :eek: All these things are your body trying to rev your system up to take in more oxygen. I've come to accept it as part of my mountain riding for the past 14 years. Just wanting to know what others experienced.:beer;

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
try to sleep at a lower elevation the first night, if you can stay below 7500 at night it should be better, when I still lived in Iowa I would get them when I stayed at Tog lodge, but not if I stayed in town.

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
Dam Dave is correct, try to sleep lower. In general it takes 1 day for every 1000ft of elevation you go up to get you back to normal. Most of us don't have that kind of time. I agree with you that physical fitness doesn't have as much to do with it as everyone thinks. I have only got it bad once and I was probably in some of the best shape of my life at the time.

As for home remedies... Hydration, Hydration, Hydration. I start pownding the water and fruits about 2 weeks before I go. Stay away from the barley pop as it dehydrates you. A good blood thinner also helps with the headaches, I take Excederine. Might be a myth but it seems to work for me.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Acclimate and hydrate are the only remedies I am aware of. Physical conditioning helps, but I believe the physiological aspects of altitude sickness are genetic and dehydration.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
If it is a two day drive from where you live try to sleep the first night as high as you can but less than 8000 ft. Eat lots and lots of carbs. Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and depressants and sleeping pills. But I am voting on hydration. I take a gallon of liquid with me and start forcing fluid early. Even with that I am hard pressed to keep my urine clear. I would moderate caffine, leave the beer home for at least the first ride to. You really dump moisture at altitude and you are working on the sled much harder. I had a non-gortex columbia shell and you could see water from sweat running down the inside. You might try taking a preventative asprin before you climb.

Maybe ask a sports doctor specializing in climbing?

Karl

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've been out with a few guys that suffer that same as you and it goes pretty hard on their trip. Like some have said try to sleep at a moderate elevation the first night out if possible. No caffine, lots of water,carbs, and take some potassium, calcium and magnisium supplements. Elk hunting one year we were spike camped at 9900 ft. and one the third day one of our guys got sick at around 11,000 ft. and barely made it back to camp. It was definatly due to the fact that his system could not handle it that day. He had been eating a lot of meat and drinking coffee and pop.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
The little hotty at the Tog check in desk told that Rolaids helps with the headache, I believe anything she says:D

M
Dec 4, 2007
Huron,South Dakota
alt sickness

You don't have a buddy thats a pilot do ya? if ya do try goin for a flight and if his plane will handel the alt. try goin up to FL 12000. bop around up there for an hr or so and see if you feel the same?? lay off the hammerhead spray plane turns, though, LOL . but I'm wondering if your not havin more cardi problems?? hows your bp?? maybe time for a ck up??

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
get in better shape, hate to sound annoying for saying it, but you body is set to run sorta ok at low elevations, now it has to work twice as hard as it would when you go up in elevation, and its not used to it. Sorta like taking a poorly tuned sled from the low to high, it just amplifies the problem, i know most of us on here arent in the best cardio shape ever, but it is the best thing you can do ever. Most mountain riding is WAY harder than what most of us do on a day to day basis, so all of a sudden, your working way harder and have less air.

My advice?? start jogging or something, go out for like 20 minutes a day and just work around, your body will handle it a LOT better. trust me. I was a cross country runner in highschool, and when we went riding, i was the last one to be panting, or just tired in general. My riding buddies were both farm boys, and they are without a doubt way more physicaly stronger and could lift more for longer amounts of time then me, but they cant get any freakin air to there muscles, so then they are much less strong then I.

Acclimate and hydrate are the only remedies I am aware of. Physical conditioning helps, but I believe the physiological aspects of altitude sickness are genetic and dehydration.

Yeap, spend a day or two at elevation and take it easy and drink lots of water.

My sister came out here last may, took her out riding in the snowies. She was living in Annapolis, MD... about 4 feet elevation. Being in the Navy she's in great shape, but after about 2 hours riding in the snowies she was definately feeling the altitude. So I'm not sold on the fitness part of it.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Google search for Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) and limit your search to .edu domains. Much information to be found. Also search for mtn climbing info on AMS, like Mt. Everest expeditions, or Nepal, etc.

Increase your water intake days before you go. Clear urine is the goal.
Drink plenty of water during the ride, 100oz might be a good target depending upon your size, ride style, length of day. I usually carry 70oz camelback plus a few 16-20 oz bottles.

Try to stay in Laramie, Centennial or Albany the first night before you ride.

It helps to ride from Albany the first day, then 2nd day you can go straight to Greenrock.

The effects of AMS may be more pronounced coming out of NE because sometimes it is colder here than in the mtns.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
no sleeping pills? whys that
this is a good topic , , just wanted to mention there is a great article about food and water intake in this months snowtech,, kind of the same subject .. anyhow they say fat protein and water. and double to tripple the calories per day intake ..
i dont know but i crave carbs alot when im sledding /shrug

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I have the same problem and usually make it worse by taking off for the mountains after work and driving all night to get there. Staying away from soft drinks the day before we leave helps, and lots of water and no caffine.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
The be-all, end-all remedy? MOVE TO GOD'S COUNTRY!

When you spend every day of your life at 5-6K foot, 9-10K is a walk in the park! Who wants to live in Nebraska anyway?:D

S
Nov 26, 2007
I'm with hydration. I have a lot of caffeine to make the drive out there the night before but I also get down at least a gallon and a half of water in that 20 hours. The first year I didn't go so heavy on the water and got sick the first day. The water definitely helps me, even with my caffeine intake during the drive. All of the water also keeps me eating much lighter because I usually feel pretty filled up. Keeps you away from the that greasy truck stop food thats been under the tanning lights for the past 3 weeks...

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
no sleeping pills? whys that
this is a good topic , , just wanted to mention there is a great article about food and water intake in this months snowtech,, kind of the same subject .. anyhow they say fat protein and water. and double to tripple the calories per day intake ..
i dont know but i crave carbs alot when im sledding /shrug

I don't know...always told that by a doctor I went camping with...maybe they have dipenhydramine (benedryl) that dries you out? That is certainly worth less that 2 cents....

Karl

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i was in the military for a while...when we had to do strenuous stuff at altitude, we were taught to stay away from caffine and conciously drink more water than we thought we could use...also to eat more protein and fats...stay away from sugars and simple carbs that digest fast and use up a lot of water to process it

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
ultimate cure

Yes! I agree with Moto Pscyh O about moving to the mountains! That is my ultimate goal. Kinda like Dan from this area. Live in the mountains in the winter, back here in the summer. I also heard that Wyoming doesn't have a State income tax! As far as staying in Laramie the first night..my wife and I did that once a couple of Christmas' ago. That was the sickest I've ever gotten!:( I might have to give up the tradition of having a beer at Foster's before we go up the mountain to our cabin on the first travel day:eek: It makes me feel a little better that there are more of you out there that get it too.;) Yes, those AMS websites have a lot of info. Thanks for all your input.

Premium Features