• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Soooo we built this Viper

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I think cat got the better deal, cat gave a chassis that isn't even new and Yamaha came in, setup and taught cat how to build engines, pretty nice deal for cat to get their hands on 2 stroke direct injection technology

mutley531

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton, UT
Has there been any indication from either manufacturer that Yamaha has shared any 2S DI technology? If so, that's great for Cat, I just haven't heard/seen anything indicating as such, other than personal speculation.

What I am hoping Cat gets from this is the Nytro motor to replace the Suzuki motor in all applications. I hope it gets turbo'd factory in sleds, and I hope it gets placed in the Wildcat UTV. I know the Wildcat has a great chassis, but the motor is not quite up to snuff compared to the CanAm Commander 1000 and Polaris RZR XP 900. If the Nytro motor was put in that chassis, even slightly de-tuned, I know what I would buy, and I am in the market. I'm tempted to wait and see if it happens. I know Yamaha is leery to improve their UTV products, based on lawsuits from people hurting themselves in the Rhino, so maybe this is their way to get back into the true sport UTV market. This is all my personal speculation. I would ultimately hope Yamaha would build their own competitive sport UTV, but I see this as a way for them to make a profit off the market without much corporate risk.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
It handles more like an 800 then an 1100.
I know the Cat guys don't love the deal because they feel Cat got the short end of it, but once the Cat guys see a boosted Viper run they will realize why Cat wanted the Yamaha motor.
I also have a feeling Yamaha would like to change a few things about the Cat chassis.

Hmmm dang it. . . dang it. . . dang it. . . . I want one. lol

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I think cat got the better deal, cat gave a chassis that isn't even new and Yamaha came in, setup and taught cat how to build engines, pretty nice deal for cat to get their hands on 2 stroke direct injection technology

Cat direct injection 600cc comes from synerject (orbital) , pretty much an adaptation from the optimax lineup from mercury...nothing to do with Yamaha. The new cat/yamaha sled will be fitted with synerject electronics and ECU.

vi-pec powersports

Premium Features