• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manual Chain Tensioner

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
The snopro 600 has an manual one, so you can get it at any cat dealer.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
convert

#2 2602-465 Plate, Ratchet $5.29
#3 0123-150 Nut $0.16
#4 1602-101 Screw, Cap $3.53
#21 1702-241 Arm, Tensioner - Assembly (inc. 22-23) $49.95

None of the parts are on back order

S
Nov 26, 2007
krom

You know anybody that has done that on a proclimb. From the picture there is a flat spot on the case for the adjuster. That spot for the adjuster on the proclimb case is angled. Like to see some pictures of someone that has done the adjuster from the 600 to proclimb 800.

S
Nov 26, 2007
krom

Looks like the 800 case has the flap spot so it should work. I was looking at the picture wrong. Is there enough material on the 800 case to make sufficient threads for the adjusting bolt.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Looks like part # 2 has a hole in it and that would be the threads for the adjuster bolt.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
To bad the adjuster didnt go in the cover. Not saying it wont work, just looking for some pictures of the install.

Having the adjuster on the cover is a pain in the a$$. My last sled was a Nytro and the adjustment bolt was in the cover. Could never see how tight the chain was or wasn't, had to use yamaha spec. Broke Two chains because of improper tension.

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Is it worth doing this? Does cat replace chaincases if they explode?

Yes Arctic cat has been covering the tensioners I have been breaking along with all other damage caused by the failures such as chain, gears and cover. Even gave me a spare tensioner to keep in the trailer so I had replacement parts to get me back on the hill. The support from Cat has been great in that sense, but still not much good to me when up on the side of the mountain somewhere and have to be towed off the hill on a brand new sled. I want a fix. And this is all I have found other then going to a full blown belt drive which in my mind is way too expensive. I know stock does not work, so I feel I have nothing to lose by trying the manual tensioner.

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Having the adjuster on the cover is a pain in the a$$. My last sled was a Nytro and the adjustment bolt was in the cover. Could never see how tight the chain was or wasn't, had to use yamaha spec. Broke Two chains because of improper tension.

Thats not much good either. Really hoping the dealer can just set the chain to spec with the new manual tensioner and be done with it. Pull cover off midseason to check tension. Thats the way it should be. Whether that is the case ill have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Thats not much good either. Really hoping the dealer can just set the chain to spec with the new manual tensioner and be done with it. Pull cover off midseason to check tension. Thats the way it should be. Whether that is the case ill have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

The manual tensioner does not mount in the cover. It's in the chain case itself.

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
Yes Arctic cat has been covering the tensioners I have been breaking along with all other damage caused by the failures such as chain, gears and cover. Even gave me a spare tensioner to keep in the trailer so I had replacement parts to get me back on the hill. The support from Cat has been great in that sense, but still not much good to me when up on the side of the mountain somewhere and have to be towed off the hill on a brand new sled. I want a fix. And this is all I have found other then going to a full blown belt drive which in my mind is way too expensive. I know stock does not work, so I feel I have nothing to lose by trying the manual tensioner.

Are the techs putting in new auto tensioners or can you ask them for the manual tensioner?

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
The cat techs are replacing the broken auto tensioners with the same factory auto tensioner from arctic cat. They can not warranty an arctic cat part and replace it with an aftermarket part, as far as I know. I bought the manual tensioner myself and having them install it to ensure proper chain tension on install, and will keep my new auto tensioner as a back up. Hope I dont need it.

G
Jan 18, 2012
anyone completed this project yet. would really like to see some pictures of this setup. been told that im someone that might want to invest some time and money into such a thing. would just really like to see some pictures of the process and or finished setup and project
-challanges
-helpfull hints for the install.
thanks guys

Premium Features