• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 530 with Exporer kit

A
Mar 4, 2008
It lives. I want to thank Mike again for all his help. The bike is now at a local Dealer for his open house. Every one who enters is really excited to see it.

Pics of KTM with explorer kit 001.jpg Pics of KTM with explorer kit 005.jpg Pics of KTM with explorer kit 008.jpg

I

IQOUTLAW

Sep 10, 2008
missed the local show!

So... I missed the local showing of the explorer kit. This thing really intrigues me though.

ANyone got any time on the seat?

whats it like when you gotta run down a stretch of asphalt?

oN ICE?

Any feedback would be great! The 530 looks banging!!!

MAXXI

S
Nov 27, 2007
So... I missed the local showing of the explorer kit. This thing really intrigues me though.

ANyone got any time on the seat?

whats it like when you gotta run down a stretch of asphalt?

oN ICE?

Any feedback would be great! The 530 looks banging!!!

MAXXI

Sweet ride, Adrenaline! Digging the White plastic. I am thinking more and more about one of these kits.

Speaking of experience with running the twin axis ski and a screw-in studded track on pavement/ice, it is easy as running across dry sections of trail in the early/late season. Balance and roost the track to break loose the carbides on the ski and be smooth with the throttle to carry you over/through the section with even momentum. Too much gas and the ski starts to loose traction, let off a little and the ski hooks back up again as the weight transfers. It is a little harder without the studs since, many times, the carbides have more cut into the pavement than the bare track has traction. It is probably different with the light weight bikes and manual clutch. How many miles of ice/asphalt are you thinking of riding with the explorer?

Last edited:
A
Mar 4, 2008
does anyone know hard numbers on how much kit adds to weight of bike?

The weight is all in the back witch kind of sucks. When I rode mine you really can't tell were the weight is. It turns on a dime witch was suprising. I need more seat time to give it a real apprasial of what this thing is like. As far as total weight added, I'm guessing 25lbs, But its all in the back. We are supposed to get more snow this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers so I can ride this thing a little more.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Mike should chime in and correct this bit I *think* it is a 28# add. Remember the addition is not only in the rear, but the front has lost unknown weight and that weight loss is transferred to the rear of the bike.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
hard #s

does anyone know hard numbers on how much kit adds to weight of bike?

I weighed my kit when I installled on my rmz250. the rear wheel is the same weight as the subframe and drive hub ***. so you add 62lbs to the rear of machine (track and frame assy.) front wheel and ski are close never weighed them though.. sub 300lbs total either way even with 450s:D

A
Mar 4, 2008
I weighed my kit when I installled on my rmz250. the rear wheel is the same weight as the subframe and drive hub ***. so you add 62lbs to the rear of machine (track and frame assy.) front wheel and ski are close never weighed them though.. sub 300lbs total either way even with 450s:D

Great info thanks!!!

S
Nov 27, 2007

Did you mean 26# or 62# difference? That would be a truck load. Usually I spend $100 to loose one pound of weight not the other way around!!

Dec 4, 2007
pa
Mike should chime in and correct this bit I *think* it is a 28# add. Remember the addition is not only in the rear, but the front has lost unknown weight and that weight loss is transferred to the rear of the bike.

when you subtract all parts,,, it adds 50lbs to the bike,,,, and in the snow a little extra weight helps for traction. ride one,,, and you will be hooked!

Premium Features