• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 IQR Build

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Bought an 05 iqr with 797, 121 track, otherwise your typical race sled. I pulled out 797 to drop 860BB in it. Bought engine plate, bent support, alum. throttle bodies. Going to entend it to 144 or 146 depending on what track i can get for cheaper. Re-valve front suspension for mtn. and some other goodies. Ice age rails powdered white with white wheels. We'll see how it turns out. This is what i have already!

Grant

076.jpg 080.jpg 082.jpg 084.jpg 086.jpg 090.jpg 092.jpg

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
Looks sweet were did u get the hood and side panels also what u planning to do to the front end I'm trying to decide what I wanna do

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Stock panels and hood, sanded, primed and painted. Im thinking of a custom bumper for the front. Just extending some tube off the exisiting nose tube. Im keeping the iqr front susp, and putting on white powder pros.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
How is this project coming along Grant?

So far so good, I have the engine in and running, tunnel extension on and looking good. All im waiting for is my new chaincase, and my axle with drivers to finish it up. Since it is STILL snowing out here, i will have it all dialed before next season open! Will post all pictures soon!

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Its all DONE, Finally.

Here it is all Finished up. An 05 IQR 797 with a 121. I pulled the 797 for an 03 800 VES SLP Special. Using the Polaris race straps and 1-1/5" spacer, I ground out the chaincase side shock tower for the oiler, slightly modded the steering post to clear the VES and welded in a bent over engine support to clear the VES and spark plug on the Clutch side. I modded the SLP race twins to bend down and under the side to side support and out to clear the hood. Installed an 03 oil bottle, Brads carb adapters to clear the jackshaft and some other wiring and cable mods. I installed 144 Ice Age rails, 8in wheels and a 146 Assault track. Lowered and set back the skid 3/4" and installed all new bearings and a new chaincase. And HERE IT IS!!

004.jpg 010.jpg 018.jpg 043.jpg 056.jpg 153.jpg 159.jpg

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So what do you think about your sled? Has it been worth it? I have a 2005 with a 440 and it is a fun sled but it has me wanting more. I was thinking of a 800 VES motor but it seems the pipes would be very expensive. I want to stretch it to 136" maybe 146". I'm just afraid it will be a money pit and it looks like they are not carrying much value from what I've seen for sale. I like what you have done though.

By the way, we are still riding Vail Pass.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270828

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
So what do you think about your sled? Has it been worth it? I have a 2005 with a 440 and it is a fun sled but it has me wanting more. I was thinking of a 800 VES motor but it seems the pipes would be very expensive. I want to stretch it to 136" maybe 146". I'm just afraid it will be a money pit and it looks like they are not carrying much value from what I've seen for sale. I like what you have done though.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270828

I think it was worth it, I bought it with a 797, traded that straight for an 800 VES and got to work. Paid 2500 for it, it was never raced or abused, and im in it for around 3500-4000 now and it was worth every penny. If you like jumping your 440 with a 121, you'll completely love jumping an 800 with a 136-146. You can get out alot more with a 146 and still rock it all day in the powder. I don't have a ton of ride time yet as i took it out to test it and now im getting the jetting/clutching dialed. Everyone that has one stretched tells me its worth all blood, sweat and tears shed. I've noticed quiet a few for sale with all types of engines and they seem to sell good with decent prices. Im not planning on selling mine, i plan to beat the **** out of it, rebuild it and do it again. Its my OH **** sled, did i really just do that? Anyways Hows VP looking, i need to rock this thing before all the snows gone. By the way I pretty sure i've seen you up on Tiger before? I believe it was April...

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
\QUOTE=BugIto;2740547]So what do you think about your sled? Has it been worth it? I have a 2005 with a 440 and it is a fun sled but it has me wanting more. I was thinking of a 800 VES motor but it seems the pipes would be very expensive. I want to stretch it to 136" maybe 146". I'm just afraid it will be a money pit and it looks like they are not carrying much value from what I've seen for sale. I like what you have done though.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270828[/QUOTE]
002.jpg My 08 is paid for and I traded parts off for the tunnel extension, got the massive FIII coolers from the local dump, track I scored brand new 141x2" for $250 and sold off my IQR 600 motor to fund my Cat 720 big bore thats going in it(these cat motors are really cheap to build)

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
I saw a guy with an M1000 motor in an IQR, Thats what i want. Maybe my next build......

I dont have the Layback motor in mine its the older 98 Zr 600 small block with the 720 D&D kit, I just picked up a Layback 720 thats on its way and going to try make that fit also, the M1000 you need tons of fab work and I believe that guy also turbo'ed that sled. With the motor layed back that much in that chassis would be insane for handling. I will be posting pics soon with the motor in all finished up. But those older 720s have crazy power for such a tiny motor.

Premium Features