• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D8 leans to left all the time!!

Does Your D8 lean to the left

• Total voters
W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
My 08 feels like it sags to the left also. It has fox floats and an SLP pipe. I pump the left shock up a little more and it seems to fix the problem.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
The only time mine (08 D8) leans to one side or the other is when I have a bent a-arm. They bend in funny ways if you still run the stockers. If you twist them by hitting something just perfectly it's really hard to notice that they are bent, but that could be the cause for some. I really notice when it's up on the truck rack through the back window. Doesn't take much of a bend to lean it to one side or the other. Not sure what to say if that's not the case. I have noticed the bars always seem bent to the left sitting on it tho. Looks like it's due to the way the steering post is designed.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Look under the hood the motor is offset, it is left of center. I noticed this a couple years ago. I am certain that it is just enough to put sag in the left side.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
interesting!

I thought it was just mine. I have hit some sh%$ real hard, and managed to bend holz a-arms(left side) on jump landings, also put my knees through the dash area and bent steering hoop, bend the stock handlebars, and also kinked tunnel side on left in foot bed area, but it always has leaned a little left. I think it is a combo of light weight exhaust systems and the motor being shifted to the left for clutch clearance.
I am going to mount my nfpi system on the right to compensate for the weight loss. Who really cares if it leans, wether I am on the trigger or not this is the best handling, easiest to manuver sled I have ever ridden by far.:wine::wine::wine:

S
Jan 19, 2008
middle earth (WYO)
Just talked with a gal in saratoga wyo rides a 09 600 rmk and she has the same pull to left problem. her guy rides doo and road hers last weekend and had no idea how bad it was now wants her to get something else ( doo ) she thought hers was only one!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I felt it on mine as well. 08 D8. Found this:

Misccellphonepictures044.jpg

Got er welded/gusseted, feels better now? Haven't ridden it but it doesn't flex nearly as much as it did when leaning on the sled, side to side with the sled on the floor. I doubt this is the cause for everybody, but it was part of mine. Getting my shocks redone as well, see how it feels this winter.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Any chance it's a combination of the IQ being a super easy chassis to lay over and the inertia of the spinning clutches pulling the sled to the left? Seems logical to me...IMO, that's why it's so much easier to maintain a sidehill to the left compared to the right.

And yes, I understand this wouldn't be the case when the sled is sitting flat on flat ground in the shop, but that's not where it's experienced...you feel it leaning to the left when in motion. Funny how if you're looking for it, your mind will make you see it :)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
SWINGARM OFF BY 3/8" TO ONE SIDE

Any chance it's a combination of the IQ being a super easy chassis to lay over and the inertia of the spinning clutches pulling the sled to the left? Seems logical to me...IMO, that's why it's so much easier to maintain a sidehill to the left compared to the right.

And yes, I understand this wouldn't be the case when the sled is sitting flat on flat ground in the shop, but that's not where it's experienced...you feel it leaning to the left when in motion. Funny how if you're looking for it, your mind will make you see it :)

Last winter I had (2) guys (different sleds) p.m. me saying that the front swing-arm (rear susp) was actually off , as in kicked to one side by 3/8"

???????????

Anybody else ever check theirs????

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I felt it on mine as well. 08 D8. Found this:

Misccellphonepictures044.jpg

Got er welded/gusseted, feels better now? Haven't ridden it but it doesn't flex nearly as much as it did when leaning on the sled, side to side with the sled on the floor. I doubt this is the cause for everybody, but it was part of mine. Getting my shocks redone as well, see how it feels this winter.

that'l do it....:spider:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
They all are heavier on the left due to the engine being to the left side and not centered. Add a lighter pipe/can combo and it is more noticeable, add the fact that the IQ Raw chassis is easy to lay on either side compared to the Edge chassis. It all adds up to more weight on left side of chassis.

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
I'm with Kraven on this one, in that the FTA is tweaked, or a combination of FTA and the RTA are bent. The torque arms take a heck of a beating in the rear suspension, and it's hard to tell if they're bent while in the sled. One way to check if this may be the case is when you change hyfax, the old ones should be worn equally, esp. just below and behind where the FTA bolts to rails. The money check is to pull rear suspension out and check to see if torque arms are parallel to eachother & perpendicular to the rails.

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Quick edit, when checking old hyfax for wear I mean esp. where front shock of rear susp. bolts to the rails!

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
Mine also sits down on the left. When u look up the track you can see that it hits the tunnel on the right side alot but not a mark on the left side. The gap between the track and tunnel is about double on the right compared to left. Do I have something wrong, or are they all like that?

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Guys I hate to point out the obvious but all you have to do is open the hood ........... no wait take off the hood and run a strait edge down the center of the bumper and over the center of the handle bars and you'll have your answer. The engine is completely off center to the PTO side even the MAG side spark plug is on the PTO side. Put an aftermarket pipe and can on it and it will be even worse. I pointed this out on another forum, the machine is so off balance that it's pathetic and NO putting scales under the skis and track won't tell you didly since it's an independant suspension. You can support the rear bumper and then pick up the front bumper underhanded and it'll dive to the PTO side and even worse if you have electric start. Even though the new PRO is slimmed down do you think they centered the weight in the engine compartment? This is a really hard machine for women to man handle and I would never advise one account of the extreme off balance. Next time I bye a new machine I want to meet myself because I'll tell you the truth about it no matter what brand it is.
Members of Snowest Snowmobile Forum rated 2172183 to be a helpful forum, I think I've pointed out the true problem ?

Last edited:
J

jb33

Mar 3, 2009
Clarkston
The only time mine (08 D8) leans to one side or the other is when I have a bent a-arm. They bend in funny ways if you still run the stockers. If you twist them by hitting something just perfectly it's really hard to notice that they are bent, but that could be the cause for some. I really notice when it's up on the truck rack through the back window. Doesn't take much of a bend to lean it to one side or the other. Not sure what to say if that's not the case. I have noticed the bars always seem bent to the left sitting on it tho. Looks like it's due to the way the steering post is designed.

I notice the same thing on my 08 D8. I know for a fact that i have a bent lower Left A-arm, so im hoping that if i just put a new one on it will fix the problem for me. Before i bent my a-arm though i didnt really notice the left side sagging, but i have fox floats to though.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
suspension sagging

Mine used to sag abit. Get ride of those WE front shocks and it will be alot better. I just put the Rydefx coil over front shocks on mine and it's a whole new machine. I wasn't so concerned about weight, the turbo took care of that problem. I was more concerned with durability.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
As stated before, changing out the stock walker shocks will help out with this problem.

Also check that your a-arms are not slighly bent...this will change the ski pressure on that side and cause the sled to tip easier to one side.

Currently running fox shocks on my D8s without the swaybar, the sled still leans easier to the left but not at all as bad as it used to.

Premium Features