• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any opinions on a Skidoo 550 vs. AC M5 in the BC mountains for a 10 year old boy

D
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with these two sleds? I am looking for a fairly light sled with enough power for my 10 year old son (and maybe eventually 8 year old daughter). In the newer body styles. Both kids have sledded with me for years doubling and are very aggressive dirt bike, mountain bikers on very steep local terrain. They love speed and hill climbing with me on a sled, but are getting ready for their own machines. I want to find sleds that won't overwhelm them while they learn. The sled should have good powder in clear cuts and bowls, but with a short track length a kid can handle. I looked at the 300 for size and weight but it doesn't have the track and power for the terrain here in Nelson.

Thanks very much for your opinions.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The m5 liquid will have more motor than a 550 fan will. If they kids have much experience at all, I would think the 500 will be a better choice in the deep. The 550f's are good sleds, but after about 30mph it seems like the rubberband breaks. 0-30 they are snappy, but run out of poop quickly. The 500 liquids, well, alot of old guys loved our 500's when they were the big motors on the market! They will take a small kid alot of places with a paddle track on them. My boy spent alot of time with a poo 500 with a 2"x136" under it. It is amazing were they can go with them.

K

KAW76

Jan 28, 2009
Ravensdale, WA
M5

I agree both are good lseds but I think if you are thinking og etting a few years out of a sled the M5 would be better for him if he becomes more agressive? I believe the 550 has something like 55-60hp and the M5 is closer to 80 hp? I have owned two 550's for extra sleds for new rider's and taking the girlfriends, they are good sleds, but for a ten year old boy I think the M5 would edge it out performance wise? IMO. good luck either choice won't be bad.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Again, both good sldes, but like said, the 500 has more power, and the Ms are easier to pull over and side hill. I have a M1000 and a XP 800

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
I am a believer of lighter is better for kids.

Most 10 years olds weigh 80lbs? Mine does anyway, and he has a tough time handling the old s-series chassis 500 fan when its deep or the trail is rough. It's wide and heavy.

A 300lb, 60 hp 141" sled would be ideal.

M
Nov 23, 2008
I can't speak for the 550, but my girlfriend now rides a M5 and its a fun little sled. I do believe they are around 80hp. I have heard from some that the carbed 05s run a little better than the efi 06s but I can't confirm that. The track (1.6" attack 20) was a handicap for it though, once it has some miles and the paddles are bent over it doesn't have a lot of hook-up or brakes if the track is on the other way around. Just changed it to a 2.5" challenger will be interesting to see how it does now. A couple other things I have noticed: It pulls over easily to start so they should be able to get it going on their own. I did notice the throttle might be a stretch for smaller hands? Probably could be changed though I'm sure. Stock setup the engagment rpm is quite high (5200ish) which without traction was frustrating but I have left it high to spin the bigger track.

Depending what you think they can handle I Have seen a few older Indy Lites with a 133 or 136x1.5" and plastic skis on them, while no comparison for power and ride, theyre light and can get around and when theyre stuck are sure easy to pull out! Geared down for the track they do about 50mph flat out.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got the wife a 05 M5 new. She loves it. She's about a buck and a quarter and 5' tall so there would be room for the kids to grow. That thing is sooo light I pull it over on top of myself every time I ride it. Just enough power to get up the hill but not so much I'm digging her out of a trench all the time. Sometimes gutless is good. With 2" 144 track it goes anywhere. I have to pull start it cold but she can do it the rest of the day. Put oil and fuel in it and forget about it. My .02

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
DOO 550
I Just sold girlfriends 550 Tundra. Had installed 2" by 16" by 144" track and lightweight seat and pipe. It worked excellent in deep snow.Really easy to throw around.In very technical deep snow it was sometimes easier than my 800 Tundra. When stuck super easy to tug it out. RER is nice too. (She not to happy about having to move up to my 800.)

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Haven't touched the M5 although I suspect it is a good sled.
That said, I have had my boy on the doo fan for 4 seasons and it worked great. He wrestled at 110 lbs last season so he is a little guy. He is 15 now and ready for a larger sled but he learned a TON on the fan.
Only regret with the fan is that it didn't have the track to run in the deep.

BigT

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Hope you ride with some other adults.Seen too many dads and their 10 year old sons struggling to get unstuck before dark etc.Id like to see a 10 year old try and deal with an avalanche situation and dig his dad out not a good idea.

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
We had an 05 M5 for our then 10 year old boy....we ride in the mountains and we found it didn't have enough HP, and the track was the sh*ts. 141 with an attack 20. We only kept it for one spring, and the conditions were your typical spring riding conditions (go anywhere with a bit of fluff on top). Couldn't get the thing out of a bowl and my husband had to get on it and pack a good trail to work it out of there. If I was to compare it to the fan, I'd get the M5, but your son will quickly outgrow it. Our son is now 13 and on his second season on an '08 M6 and it has been awesome, it's got good power and the 153 track is excellent.

Premium Features