• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin GPS external power

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I use a Garmin gpsmap 62st handlebar mounted year round on my sled and my dirt bike.
2012-11-06131311.jpg

The winter temps obviously take their toll on any type of battery used, and I have settled on replacing the batteries for every full day of sledding, as well as carrying spare batts just in case. The occasional situation has come up where I need to use the backlight full time to navigate my way out of the backcountry as its getting dark and/or socked in... this eats up the batteries very fast and could create a problem, or inconvenience for me.

I really want to get my gps unit running on external power, just wondering if anyone has tried this already, or has electrical advice. I have two different plans:

#1- Buy the Garmin "vehicle power cable", connect the cable to 12vdc power on my sled using a more suitable interface than the cig lighter plug, and temporarily seal the usb 90deg plug into the gps unit with silicone.
cf-lg.jpg

The problem with this is that I will regularly need to "un-silicone" the usb plug so I can connect the gps unit to my computer. The level of water resistance is also a bit suspect. I think that using this power cable without any effort to seal the usb plug into the gps unit is going to result in problems.

#2-hard wire the battery contacts in the gps unit to a cable that can be connected to 12vdc on my sled.
This way I should be able to completely restore the water resistance of the gps unit, and not have to mess with the regularly needed usb port.

Problems I can see going this way:
-I will need to regulate the voltage, but being as the gps unit uses a pair of aa batteries, can anyone tell me if they are wired in series or parallel? I tend to think they are in series, resulting in a 3vdc supply from the batts.
-At the assumption that the above is correct, regulating and supplying 3vdc to the battery contacts in the gps unit should be my goal?

I'm open to any thoughts, ideas, or advice!

barkbuster

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2008
If you use the gamin cord you need to keep the lighter plug as it steps the voltage down to 5 v.

You could use silicone dielectric grease on the connector to keep the water out.

I used the polaris 12v kit (female lighter socket) on my 09, with the Garmin cable. it worked ok, but the plug would lose contact if bumped, and the cord was in the way.
On my 12, Pro I decided not to hardwire the gps. Went back to using recharchable NiMh AAs. I run a Garmin Montana on the bars. It will run all day with backlight set at 30 sec timeout, or it will run all day with backlight full on if I swap out batts at lunch. I run a Garmin 62 as a backup, it stays on ,no backlight, in my pack. It will go several days on a set of rechargables.
I have been using Sanyo Enloop NiMH 1500 AA batteries.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I dont like the sound of that usb connection losing contact, hmmmm. Rechargables is one thing I havent tried.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I have an older 60cs that has not only the mini usb connection but also a round 4 pin connection on the back. The round 4 pin is power and for a transducer. I bought the cord off of Ebay and wired the 2 wires to the battery on my sled. No worries about water or snow its a tight fit and on the back facing down. I have a set of lithium batteries in the unit just in case. They are not affected as bad by the cold.

This is the cord I am talking about http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327900

Last edited:
S
Dec 9, 2009
I have an older 60cs that has not only the mini usb connection but also a round 4 pin connection on the back. The round 4 pin is power and for a transducer. I bought the cord off of Ebay and wired the 2 wires to the battery on my sled. No worries about water or snow its a tight fit and on the back facing down. I have a set of lithium batteries in the unit just in case. They are not affected as bad by the cold.

This is the cord I am talking about http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327900

That cord works very well, used that one for sale for several years and NEVER had an issue with it. Forget batteries and leave that backlight on all the time which is sweet at night and also keeps the screen warmer.
Someone please throw me an offer for that setup of cord, RAM mount and windshield mount.

Premium Features