• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken clutch cover bolts

B
Have a 17 mountain cat with 1650 miles and have broken two different clutch cover bolts one on each of my last two rides. Noticed rpm was 7950 or so last ride but snow was wet and pretty deep. Clutches look ok plan on going through them this summer but still have a couple months of riding left. Wondering if anyone has had this problem or just time for new bolts will replace all this summer.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Only time I've ever broken cover bolts was on a M1000. I discovered that the shoulders on the bolts were too tight in the holes in the cover on a few of them. So when the bolts were being tightened the shoulder would bind and start stretching the bolts in the threads to try to pull the bolt through the cover (yes I was tightening the cover evenly and not letting it get crooked). Ran one size bigger drill bit through the cover bolt holes and fixed the problem.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Usually a symptom of something warped or binding in the tower or cover. Check for flatness with the cover and spider and check for cracks. Look at bushings and look for binding or excessive movement. As stated here, look at binding of bolts. Did you by chance replace them or have them out and reinstall? They are very easy to over torque and break or weaken...less is more. Use blue loctite to assure smooth torque down with no binding. Only time I've broken them was due to cracked spider on M1000 that I didn't see/catch...spider broke and the issue became obvious.

Premium Features