• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TKI vs Kurts Gear down on 2019 850

S
Feb 17, 2008
Chicago Illinois
I'm looking to get some information and opinions on what's the better choice. There was a post about two years ago on this same topic, so I was looking to see who's running what? I did have a TKI set up on a different 850 sled and enjoyed the torque it had.

I like the Kurt's because it has clutching accessories that come with it, but in the same note the TKI has the tensioner.

What's the best option?

Thanks

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Go with Tki as you will have more options for gear ratios if need be.
Kurts will work with you on clutching if you have a tki belt drive.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
TKI gets my vote:
Gear ratio options
Easier belt replacement due to having a tensioner
Cheaper belt replacement

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I've got both...and they're both quality pieces.

Kurt's gear down and clutching is a great combination and makes the sled's throttle response very crisp. I've had his kits on my sleds since the Pro chassis and haven't broken a belt.

The TKI is a nice kit and has replaced the chain cases on my 3" sleds. Since it has a tensioner, you will have to keep tabs on your belt tension. Mine seems to stay pretty close to good, but others seem to have to adjust it more. Depending on your exhaust, getting to the adjustment bolt can vary in difficulty. I never broke a TKI belt either. No clutching though... If you gear it down, Kurt's clutch kit will work great with the TKI.

The Kurt's kit includes install tools that make installing the pulleys a 1 minute operation. Installation is a bit more involved on the TKI; you have to mount the tensioner and inconsistencies in the Polaris casting can fight you.

Overall, Kurt's combo gets the nod for price, performance, and ease of installation/operation.

L. Perry

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2015
I have run both, running tki on a turbo axys at the moment.
I would do the tki. Liked Kurts on my pro but had a pulley spin out.
Turns our they were recalled so they replaced it next day ups but didn't help with getting it out of the ****hole I was in with it.
TKI has the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Kurt’s only gear ratio option for the axys 2.37? That’s all I see on the website. What gear ratios would you prefer? I’ve only used the pro gears on my axys 800’s.

T
Sep 10, 2009
I have also run both styles.

Pros on the TKI - Can adjust gear ratios to dial in exactly what you want. Easy to put belt on.
Cons on the TKI - I bent/broke three tensioner arms which ruined days of riding. I've had friends bend tensioner arms which also ruined days of riding. The lower pulley clearances on the driveshaft were sloppy causing the pulley to rock slightly breaking the bolt head off which also ruined a day of riding.

Pros on Kurt's kit - Simple gear down and the clutch kit works great with it. No screwing around tuning the gearing and clutching. Put it in and have fun instantly. Has not ruined any days of riding for me.
Cons on the Kurts - Not a huge deal because it comes with install tools, but the belt is tougher to get on.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have also run both styles.

Pros on the TKI - Can adjust gear ratios to dial in exactly what you want. Easy to put belt on.
Cons on the TKI - I bent/broke three tensioner arms which ruined days of riding. I've had friends bend tensioner arms which also ruined days of riding. The lower pulley clearances on the driveshaft were sloppy causing the pulley to rock slightly breaking the bolt head off which also ruined a day of riding.

Pros on Kurt's kit - Simple gear down and the clutch kit works great with it. No screwing around tuning the gearing and clutching. Put it in and have fun instantly. Has not ruined any days of riding for me.
Cons on the Kurts - Not a huge deal because it comes with install tools, but the belt is tougher to get on.

I agree with Travis!!!
A couple of summers ago, I replaced the QD and ORIGINAL belt on my Pro at 2400 miles. My track is the Camo X3 x 156" track (7t 3.0 pitch Avids).
I bought my TKI used...from either Travis or Tory (I can't remember now, HAHA).
It was bolt on and go. I liked that for my Pro because I had changed drivers and track and wanted to pick a specific ratio to suit my build. I liked the idea of having the tensioner for swapping gears on and off...but I've never pulled them off, so in the end, it was a benefit that I never utilized.
I still have that sled and I still have the TKI on it. Has over 1200 miles on the TKI now.

This year, I ran my stock QD on my 19 850 for about 450 miles and then decided to go with Kurt's Gear Down. Bolt on and go. I have one ride on it....and it's been great so far. No gearing options, but after not needing to change the TKI gears on my Pro's TKI, I'm not anticipating that I'll need to on this chassis either.
I think this ratio is a good one for my BD boosted 162 x 3.2" track (7t, 3.0 pitch Avids). Clutches are cooler and it's got a little more grunt on the bottom.
I made steep pulls last weekend in deep SOFT spring mushy powder with 63mph track speed. With the gear down, I think I'm going up the hill with more track and ground speed than when I had stock gearing.

As a side note...(I like Tom and he makes really great products, so I have no beef whatsoever. I'm a fan)
I have been told that belt tensioners create a parasitic loss of HP. I haven't seen dyno sheets to prove either way so I can't verify that.
BUT, it does make sense to me. I have seen dyno sheets that compared track tension. Tracks did have more HP loss when they were too loose or too tight. They did best when tightened to specific factory specs.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone had issues running pro pulleys? I didnt run them for a lot of miles on my last sled BUT seemed to work great and the gearing is super close to Kurts. 2.37-2.39. Just seems kinda crazy to me to spend an extra $500 for the Kurts kit when you are essentially achieving the same thing with the pro pulleys. Another thing... if I remember right I had seen multiple pictures of trashed bottom gears on Kurts kits a couple years ago. I THINK they have been redesigned since. Hope so. Can anyone confirm that?

I also ran a TKI kit on my last sled. Belt stretched a chitload the first 20 miles or so. Tensioner bolt pretty much had zero clearance with the BMP full velocity can. After that first 20 miles I didnt touch it. Worked good. Toms great. I would recommend, BUT if your going to gear to around 2.4 I see no reason to spend all kinds of money when pro pulleys work good.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Anyone had issues running pro pulleys? I didnt run them for a lot of miles on my last sled BUT seemed to work great and the gearing is super close to Kurts. 2.37-2.39. Just seems kinda crazy to me to spend an extra $500 for the Kurts kit when you are essentially achieving the same thing with the pro pulleys. Another thing... if I remember right I had seen multiple pictures of trashed bottom gears on Kurts kits a couple years ago. I THINK they have been redesigned since. Hope so. Can anyone confirm that?

I also ran a TKI kit on my last sled. Belt stretched a chitload the first 20 miles or so. Tensioner bolt pretty much had zero clearance with the BMP full velocity can. After that first 20 miles I didnt touch it. Worked good. Toms great. I would recommend, BUT if your going to gear to around 2.4 I see no reason to spend all kinds of money when pro pulleys work good.

If you don't care about a tensioner don't waste you time with Kurt's, just use the Proride gears. If you see the value of the tensioner go with Tom's kit. The reasons always noted by guys for a tensioner usually miss the mark as why they are so great. Its not ease of changing belts or even gearing that is most important. It is the wrapping of the belt around the top gear that allows for no tension and most contact with the belt. This way the friction is minimal and the teeth don't get ripped off the belt. Ya the other reasons are good too.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kurt’s only gear ratio option for the axys 2.37? That’s all I see on the website. What gear ratios would you prefer? I’ve only used the pro gears on my axys 800’s.

Kurt's offers a 32/67 and a 29/69 set for the Axys. The Proride kit is 24/58.

I ran his kit on my Pro and it worked great. Just put his 29/69 kit on my Axys. Need some seat time this spring to assess it.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Have about 1000 miles with the pro ride gears.
Using a local guy's clutch kit; A2D Sledworks.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Kurt's offers a 32/67 and a 29/69 set for the Axys. The Proride kit is 24/58.

I ran his kit on my Pro and it worked great. Just put his 29/69 kit on my Axys. Need some seat time this spring to assess it.

Is the proride gears really 24/58?=2.41
Though they were in the 2.1 range..28/58?

Premium Features