• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

More options for the 2020 Khaos 850 RMK

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
In those tough snow conditions I pull over and flip my sled "almost" over on it's side and spin the track with the throttle. I slowly let it auger down into the snow as I watch the temp drop. By the time the sled is back up right its pretty cool. The only cons to this is 1. it makes a deep hole for someone to drop in (thats why I get off to the side). 2. You can get carried away with this technique and almost get stuck lol. I know others do this as well if someone has a video?

There was no doing this. I tried everything. This isn't my first time sledding. Had to shut it down which I hate doing. This was worst case scenario.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
There was no doing this. I tried everything. This isn't my first time sledding. Had to shut it down which I hate doing. This was worst case scenario.

I understand, wasn't implying it was your 1st rodeo, I know you have lots of experience. Plus you chopped snow with a shovel to put on the tunnel, tough to keep cool in those conditions! I know its frustrating when they get hot and no good snow to get into.
Has anyone else found the factory tunnel bag to hold heat? I love the bag but in low snow conditions even the top of the tunnel dissipates heat from heat exchangers below. I swapped to the Skinz QR Next level bag and it really did drop temperatures! Two factors I found with this bag, 1. It's up off the tunnel about an inch allowing air to circulate. 2. If I need to put snow on the tunnel it even goes under the bag increasing surface area. The Skinz bag holds as much as my large factory bag, but in a shorter bag that is semi ridged and water proof. Ill try to add a couple pics to compare below. I really like the bag and the QR so maybe I'll do a different thread with more pics to keep this one from getting side tracked.

IMG_4627_1024.jpg IMG_4387_1024.jpg

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I understand, wasn't implying it was your 1st rodeo, I know you have lots of experience. Plus you chopped snow with a shovel to put on the tunnel, tough to keep cool in those conditions! I know its frustrating when they get hot and no good snow to get into.
Has anyone else found the factory tunnel bag to hold heat? I love the bag but in low snow conditions even the top of the tunnel dissipates heat from heat exchangers below. I swapped to the Skinz QR Next level bag and it really did drop temperatures! Two factors I found with this bag, 1. It's up off the tunnel about an inch allowing air to circulate. 2. If I need to put snow on the tunnel it even goes under the bag increasing surface area. The Skinz bag holds as much as my large factory bag, but in a shorter bag that is semi ridged and water proof. Ill try to add a couple pics to compare below. I really like the bag and the QR so maybe I'll do a different thread with more pics to keep this one from getting side tracked.

I have noticed this as well. My sled runs a bit warmer in marginal snow when I have the tunnel bag on. Next season I will be running the Brp linq can on the tunnel of my Khaos but I dont think the small tunnel bag will fit because the can is wider than the stock Polaris rack and can. Might consider selling my tunnel bag and getting one of those Skinz bags for those reasons.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Hey Scott,
Yes, this one has a lot of miles on it. This is one of the sleds I rode that Burandt set up. Yes, the lack of preload is intresting on these shocks. However they rode amazingly well in all the conditions we put them through. Pounding down rutted up trails, boon docking, tree trimming...I mean tree hustling, side hills, steep climbs up rutted hills etc. I'll attach some pics of Keith Curtis triple crown race sled set up the same preload. These shocks are the main reason Im snow checking a Khaos.

I see Erik Woog owner of Vohk just posted an Instagram video claiming the same thing I said weeks ago that these are the best factory shocks out there saving owners thousands $$ over aftermarket shocks. Anyone able to post up his video comments?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

I have replaced the stock scratchers with the cable scratchers, huge difference. When Polaris went from the 4wrap scratcher(Thanks Gregg) to the 3 wrap. They lost the ability to put enough pressure on the trail to cast snow. They dance off the trail instead of doing their intended job. I won’t get into the reduction of cooling system to save weight.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I have replaced the stock scratchers with the cable scratchers, huge difference. When Polaris went from the 4wrap scratcher(Thanks Gregg) to the 3 wrap. They lost the ability to put enough pressure on the trail to cast snow. They dance off the trail instead of doing their intended job. I won’t get into the reduction of cooling system to save weight.

2018 dual coil ski-doo scratchers on my sled are great. Spendy, but the best IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IiYD3xs7Q

You don’t need the plastic brackets for stowing the scratchers, they just broke off after 3 rides.

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada

I noticed this with my 2019. They dont kick up nearly as much snow as the ones on my 2016 did.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Do those shocks have any rebound adj or just compression.

These shocks do not have rebound adjustment. Here is a little more info from a message that Walker Evans just sent me:

A mid Mounted Body for bottom out resistance and , Hi/Low Clicker
Adjustability

Walker Evans Enterprises
2304 Fleetwood Dr.
Riverside CA 92509
951.784.7223 Phone
951.788.1738 Fax

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I noticed this with my 2019. They dont kick up nearly as much snow as the ones on my 2016 did.

My favorite scratchers are the Ice Storm, by Over The Top Racing (OTT).
Side by side, they send out a TREMENDOUS amount of spray...and they are pretty reversible too.

I've never seen cable scratchers that have much downforce. I'm sure there are some that do, but I have yet to see them.

https://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-ICE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

Forward%20Position.JPG

Reverse%20Position-01.JPG

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Here is a little more info on these new shocks. I will add a few more pics I have of them as well below.
Notes from Polaris on these new shocks:
"Immediate Response. The Walker Evans Velocity Hi-Lo Compression Adjustable Shocks are the best of the best for a variety of conditions, as they have proven in dominating hillclimbs and snocross tracks."

Other outside info: "The biggest improvement on these shocks over the standard WEs is the position of the piggyback resevoir. Mounted much lower on the shock body, the resevoir is now below the full travel of the shock piston. This allows the shock to have two very different performance ranges; plush for the first bit of travel to be compliant in the small chatter bumps but stiff once the piston has travelled past the resevoir orifice. Imagine a shock that can be set up soft for comfort and ease of powder carving but still has the ability to absorb the big hit from that drop you just pounded without bottoming."
Awesome to hear, I was curious about the resi mounting. Especially after riding the Khaos, the shocks blew me away for out of the box package. Internal bypass is a stellar setup allowing a very fun compliant setup with aggressive anti bottoming. Its cool to hear the tech specs that backup the handling performance I was experiencing, not just "oh they are great". They are a very well built high end package.

Its no joke about saving thousands. I have over $3k in shocks on my current axys. It would be nice to pull a sled out of the box and ride it vs needing to upgrade! Also I think once more and more riders get to experience such a high end shock they can begin to appreciate the energy it saves vs getting pound around on a trail and rough terrain.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just sent my snowcheck to Kurts,
Going to be doing their gear down kit and a Camso X3 156 on it.

Got out on their demo 850 with their clutching and gearing combo this weekend and all I can say is WOW, that crew definately knows how to make a sled work to its full potential.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Just sent my snowcheck to Kurts,
Going to be doing their gear down kit and a Camso X3 156 on it.

Got out on their demo 850 with their clutching and gearing combo this weekend and all I can say is WOW, that crew definately knows how to make a sled work to its full potential.

Nick, glad you had a chance to ride one. That’s awesome.

Wonder how a few dealers have the opportunity to demo 2020 offerings. The rest of the nations dealers didn’t. I believe snowcheck numbers would increase if Polaris had an early release dealer demo program. The mom and pop stores that sell 30 sleds a year need Polaris to step up their game. Polaris needs to support them also, not just those with mega sales. The mom and pop stores were their bread and butter. Now they are left out.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think all the brands are bad now in regards to demo rides, youtube should be filled vids of people testing the new iron out, and not just the riders who pimp the brand for a living.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I think all the brands are bad now in regards to demo rides, youtube should be filled vids of people testing the new iron out, and not just the riders who pimp the brand for a living.

Especially since cat and Polaris 850 are spring only options.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I just talked to Kurt's Polaris today and they have a 2019 850 RMK 155" that they converted last week to the new 163" Ice Age Khaos geometry rails with the M-67 track. Riding it side by side with the 155" Khaos they said people should be really happy with this combination.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I know a few of my friends are holding out till the last minute, they're still out enjoying their 19 and haven't put it up for sale yet. The 17th is the last day. Who's still on the fence?

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I'm so torn. I've had good luck with my 19 850 but think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Khaos today. Main reason is for the shocks and improvements to the internals on the motor. Hope I don't regret going back to a 155

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I ordered the Khaos 850 Black on black with red accents, rails and spindles with the PIDD, low bars. I have couple other sets of Ice Age rails but Im going to order the Khaos geometry 163" rails form Ice Age and give it a try.

Premium Features