• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vibration rubbing noise

M
Mar 11, 2019
New to forum searched a few pages couldn't find anything. My 16 SBA TD has a vibration rubbing noise that started pretty intermittent now is consistently happening when coming to a stop or slow turn to left. To me sounds like track rubbing on something. Looked over suspension and bearings tightened track and chain tension nothing has helped or made it worse. Any suggestions would be great thank you.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
recently had a upper idler wheel (plastic) loose a bearing and spoil the wheel at the rear of the running board and a vibration to follow, new wheel and bearing and problem went away.
gtwitch in wyoming

M
Mar 11, 2019
Went out again today to pay more attention to when it happens and noticed it gets more noticeable the longer I ride and don't seem to notice in powder. Changed belt with no change. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't my ggb trail can. It started shortly after I installed it. Any thoughts. Puzzled

M
Mar 11, 2019
Sounds like the sounds I was hearing on my 18 Axys.
Exactly how I described it sounded like track rubbing and heard worse turning.
Turned out to be jackshaft bearing

How did you find it. Was there play in shaft? Was it secondary side or brake side?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Yep, you might have something coming loose in the suspension. Probably a bearing as mentioned. Loosen the track up all the way and remove rear wheels, pull skid out, leave track in (avoid pulling driveshaft at first). Now you can check skid for everything and then check driveshaft with track still on it...yank back and forth to see if it is loose. You will find it that way. If driveshaft, you will obviously have to pull that and fix. Basically, more tension in the right situation is letting something come loose and the track rubs due to slack.

Also check entire drive system...shafts, bearings belt, clutches.

M
Mar 11, 2019
Yep, you might have something coming loose in the suspension. Probably a bearing as mentioned. Loosen the track up all the way and remove rear wheels, pull skid out, leave track in (avoid pulling driveshaft at first). Now you can check skid for everything and then check driveshaft with track still on it...yank back and forth to see if it is loose. You will find it that way. If driveshaft, you will obviously have to pull that and fix. Basically, more tension in the right situation is letting something come loose and the track rubs due to slack.

Also check entire drive system...shafts, bearings belt, clutches.

I guess I have a summer project now that it's raining here in MN. Thank you for confirming my feeling of suspension related. With seeing nothing wrong I was beginning to doubt myself.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
With seeing nothing wrong I was beginning to doubt myself.

Yep, I know the feeling. The thing about rear suspensions with a big track is that everything seems tight and under tension when you check it quickly by hand...but that is because the entire track is putting each part of the suspension in tension in a single direction. Now, ride it and load it different and a lose bearing or wheel or mount is allowed to go loose because the direction of the tension reversed. And if you find one bad bearing somewhere, replace all bearings related to or around it...because those aren't far behind and they are cheap to replace while in there.

S
Jan 21, 2014
Minnesota
Just an update I did find the problem was not in suspension at all, eventhough there were some bad idler bearings when replaced vibration was still there. Further inspection found mag side motor mount bracket bolts at engine loose. One broke and other stripped threads. All good after fixing that.

Premium Features