• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

14 M8000 LTD flooding

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
Had issues yesterday with my 14 M8000 LTD flooding out. When we went to unload it just cranked and cranked with no fire. Started by pulling a plug and it was really wet. Took the spark plug wire and snapped in a new plug and I had spark. Messed with it for a little bit but decided to head home to my garage and tools. Today I put a new set of plugs in and had hold the throttle all the way open while I cranked and it sputtered to life. Let it run for about 3 - 5 minutes and it seems fine. Shut it off and sat for 15 minutes and fires right off. The one thing that bothers me is after we rode Thursday we towed to our hotel and I did not have my cover on it(it was sloppy on the roads). It was -4 when we woke up yesterday. Could have the Intake Air Temp sensor iced over as it sat over night? My intake is sealed the best I could but maybe some moisture got in there? It ran awesome on Thursday and Friday. I just purchased this sled 2 weeks ago and this was my maiden voyage - just trying to regain some confidence in it.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I had something similar happen to my 2016. Ran hot one day back to the truck, sat outside in the cold (covered) and then absolutely would not start until I burned all the gas off in the crank.

When these things go into protective mode that dumps fuel, like engine temp or like you said, screwy temp sensors, they seem to over do it.

Super cold temps seem to always be part of the equation. I'd say you're probably fine for now, just be aware of over heating the sled for now.

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
Just have to keep an eye on it I guess. I have started it 2 - 3 times over the last few days and it seems to be normal.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend's 2016 had an injector get stuck open and was flooding it. Bad enough it pooled in the crankcase and would blow all kinds of fuel out. Ended up replacing the injectors.

His was also one of the ones that on two occasions would not want to start on the mountain after shutting it down. It went in for warranty for that, but nothing was found to be wrong. Tech suggested he make sure he let it idle just a little bit after stopping so the engine temp could normalize before shutting it off. No issues after that. Makes some sense I guess: warm motor, colder water from the heat exchanger hits the water temp sensor when you pull it over after being parked, computer gives it too much fuel, and it doesn't start.

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
Dealer told me turn key off, hold throttle wide open and pull it over a few times to clear out fuel. Had an hour of pulling and learned that and had it running within 4 or 5 pulls after doing that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
In Cooke last year was 5 below, started fine, I let warm for a few minutes but not until up to temp, shut it off went to eat, would not start, just about ready to give up then decided to put a new plug in the mag side the only one you can change without taking hood off, started right up, 2014 m8

R
Dec 9, 2007
Similar experience a couple weeks ago with my 2013, rode fairly hard on a cold day when temp never got above 0F, left it on the trailer outside and it got 20 below. Would not start next morning no matter what I did ... Buzzard luck my diesel truck wouldn't start either. When I got home it had warmed to 20s, started first pull.

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
If it doesn't fire take the hood off, unhook the fuel pump wiring harness and pull it till it starts, usually 2-3 pulls then let it run till it dies. Plug the harness back in and you're good to go.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If it doesn't fire take the hood off, unhook the fuel pump wiring harness and pull it till it starts, usually 2-3 pulls then let it run till it dies.

More like 60-70 pulls in my case but same idea :face-icon-small-hap

J
Oct 13, 2016
Similar deal on my 15 800. Rode hard one day, stayed the night at the Sno Park with the sled parked outside and wouldn't start in the morning. Finally got it started after some googling on what to do. That was over 1,000 miles ago and never had an issue since.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My 15 M8000 is doing it now too.

I rode last week and it ran great. I left it in the back of my truck overnight. The next morning it started up first pull and I put it in my shop with the stove going to melt all the snow off.

Today I went to load it for tomorrow and it fired up on the third pull and slowly sputtered to a stop. I have spent the rest of the afternoon pulling on the sled and it won't even fire. Damn! How am I supposed to ride tomorrow. :(

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
My 15 M8000 is doing it now too.

I rode last week and it ran great. I left it in the back of my truck overnight. The next morning it started up first pull and I put it in my shop with the stove going to melt all the snow off.

Today I went to load it for tomorrow and it fired up on the third pull and slowly sputtered to a stop. I have spent the rest of the afternoon pulling on the sled and it won't even fire. Damn! How am I supposed to ride tomorrow. :(

Pull a plug. See if you're dry or soaked.

Premium Features