• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightning style weights

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Contracting having some made without the drillable holes. Anyone interested? Going to be available in 4-5 different grams. Unless there is more interest in another category.
Edit: Looks like 6
62-64-66-68-70-74g

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Maybe add in there 68gr? The new 850 is supposed to run 10-70's from the factory at ~6000' I believe.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Contracting having some made without the drillable holes. Anyone interested? Going to be available in 4-5 different grams. Unless there is more interest in another category.
62-64-66-70-74g

I’d be interested, depending on cost.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Tony, I would be interested also, Why not have holes like Lightning? That is the advantage of the Lightning is that you start out over weight and then drill to fit for what you really need! I have used the origional Lightnings for years as they were made by Bill and Mary-- WMS and I liked the profile that they figured out to begin with.
gtwitch in wyoming

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony, I would be interested also, Why not have holes like Lightning? That is the advantage of the Lightning is that you start out over weight and then drill to fit for what you really need! I have used the origional Lightnings for years as they were made by Bill and Mary-- WMS and I liked the profile that they figured out to begin with.
gtwitch in wyoming

I truly agree with the adjustability with the drillable holes. The problem has been the tempering is inconsistent. Some holes drill easy while others don’t drill at all.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I truly agree with the adjustability with the drillable holes. The problem has been the tempering is inconsistent. Some holes drill easy will others don’t drill at all.
No kidding, Ive burned up so many drill bits I am just about over dealing with that method of weight change.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Keep the holes, but make them larger.... Then use the Yamaha tuning rivets to dial them in. Those rivets came in sizes from .8 grams all the way up to 4.5g the options where endless.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If the holes are there people will miss match rivets or drill them to different sizes. Then it’s Tony’s fault it doesn’t work.... most guys that like to tune, the rivets are too big of a jump in weight.

No holes is fine with me. If I need a tweener size, I will machine a set down.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Keep the holes, but make them larger.... Then use the Yamaha tuning rivets to dial them in. Those rivets came in sizes from .8 grams all the way up to 4.5g the options where endless.

I’ve played with many a Yamaha weight. As you know Yamaha has many different profiles to get it just right.
The problem with the rivets(or magnets) at .8g in one location (on the Lightning weight) changes its shift characteristics in a negative way. I’ve went as far as threading the holes and using set screws and bolts. That doesn’t work either.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
If I recall, about 6 years ago I compared the profile of the SLP magnum weights to the Lightning weights and the profile and heel location was almost identical if not the same and the SLP weights I had were too heavy, so went to a lighter Lightnings (2 grams less) because it was simple!! KISS, Last fall I found a set of 68 Lightnings and machined them to go between and last year, I felt that I had it dialed on my 2011 800 163 PRO with SLP Stage 3.. I still think there is improvement to be had by a different helix???
gtwitch in wyoming

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If I recall, about 6 years ago I compared the profile of the SLP magnum weights to the Lightning weights and the profile and heel location was almost identical if not the same and the SLP weights I had were too heavy, so went to a lighter Lightnings (2 grams less) because it was simple!! KISS, Last fall I found a set of 68 Lightnings and machined them to go between and last year, I felt that I had it dialed on my 2011 800 163 PRO with SLP Stage 3.. I still think there is improvement to be had by a different helix???
gtwitch in wyoming

How did you have slp magnum force weights 6 years ago?
They came out 1.5 year ago.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
They were the weights that came with the SLP stage 3 kit from SLP and came with the rivets. I put the stage 3 kit (heads, no reeds! pipe and can and clutching) on the sled in spring of 2013 (Jan or Feb). 2013 to 2018---Missed it by a year!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They were the weights that came with the SLP stage 3 kit from SLP and came with the rivets. I put the stage 3 kit (heads, no reeds! pipe and can and clutching) on the sled in spring of 2013 (Jan or Feb). 2013 to 2018---Missed it by a year!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Ah you had the slp MTX weights.

The magnum force weights have a different profile and heel height.

Set screws go in through the heel.
No rivets

Premium Features