• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric starter squeal when cold?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I've got a 2013 RMK Assault and when the sled is cold the electric starter squeal's when you go to start it. Starter spins and engages like normal but it has a terrible squeal to it. If the sled is warm the starter works like normal with no squeal.

Any Ideas on why it squeal's when cold? Never seen anything do that before.

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Did you ever figure this out? I just bought a 2015 that is doing the exact thing and having trouble identifying exactly where it is coming from. I did just put a new battery in it and it is fully charged. Any help would be appreciated.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I'm having a similar problem but the starter will not engage.

I've tried a different known good battery, still no joy. Bendix seemed a bit sticky when I moved it in and out buy hand. Cleaned it up to where it moves smoothly, still no joy.

Polaris wants $175 for the bendix assembly :face-icon-small-sho

Anyone take the bendix apart before?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Murph is the man to ask on this... He knows that whole system like the back of his hand.

He's in Asia right now as Crew Chief for a Moto-GP team.... but He'll probably check back in here.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'm having a similar problem but the starter will not engage.

I've tried a different known good battery, still no joy. Bendix seemed a bit sticky when I moved it in and out buy hand. Cleaned it up to where it moves smoothly, still no joy.

Polaris wants $175 for the bendix assembly :face-icon-small-sho

Anyone take the bendix apart before?

Here is the kit to rebuild the bendix for $47.89.

I was able to lay my hand on a new one for $80 so I just replaced mine and it took care of the problem I was having.

R
Oct 16, 2016
Jamestown NY
I took the gear drive apart on the end of the starter cable drive. It is pretty much a rubber clutch set up. I took the rubber off and cleaned it. Solved all of my starter issues.

Premium Features