• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's the best adjustable weights?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Looking at getting some adjustable weights. What's the best ones to get? Easy adjustability in the field? Should be some good info out there after this season. Even clutch kits or setups for 10000 ft

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Looking at getting some adjustable weights. What's the best ones to get? Easy adjustability in the field? Should be some good info out there after this season. Even clutch kits or setups for 10000 ft

Not sure what machine it's for but, Dalton, Cutlers and MDS. The first 2 are basically the same, set screw style. I have never used MDS but have read good things. Their claim is 8 hp to the track on the 18 MC, if that's true it's a no brain'er for that machine. Check out Racin Station.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I'm running BMP magnetics; Somewhat easier to add or subtract weights; the biggest advantage is not having to fool around with Locktite in the cold weather. Call Kevin @ Hubs Performance.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Easiest adjustable in the field are cutlers by far. MDS are great weights, but not easily adjustable on the snow. Pretty much have to pull the belt, clutch cover and primary spring to adjust any weight other than cpc.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'll be looking for a set next year as well. Cutlers are easy to adjust. What base weight does a guy need for 10,000 ft?
Can you adjust the magnets while on the sled or do they need to come out to?

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
Easiest adjustable in the field are cutlers by far. MDS are great weights, but not easily adjustable on the snow. Pretty much have to pull the belt, clutch cover and primary spring to adjust any weight other than cpc.
I can adj my mds easy on snow all three in 10 to 15 min, just pull the belt.
Also slp weights are very quick

Hoss

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Weights

Anybody using the ssi weights. They all are about the same price just wonder what works best, backshift, upshift, rpm consistency is my main concern.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Ramp profile is aggressive on MDS...mudrange pulls hard...do MDS before any motor mod...
-Increase track speed by about 5mph or more over stock setup
-great backshift
-hard pulling,

--they improved them for 2018 sleds also

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If your not pulling the primary spring and cover and just prying it open under spring pressure to adjust your weights yer just asking to lose a finger of part there of. Seen it happen.

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
If your not pulling the primary spring and cover and just prying it open under spring pressure to adjust your weights yer just asking to lose a finger of part there of. Seen it happen.
There is risk to everything one does in life, it's fairly simple with the right tools, also can do it pulling cover about as fast. The thing that takes the longest is getting the tools out

Hoss

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Secondary clutch setup

48 degree helix stock
160/260 secondary spring
Anti-bind plastic washers under spring cup
20/49 gearing -- 7 tooth...2.65 gearing overall

I tried 43 deg helix , didn't pull worth anything compared to the stock 48....

Premium Features