• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What should Polaris feature on the 2019 models

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When Polaris introduces the M/Y 2019 RMK snowmobiles, what refinement or reinvention should be the flagship feature?

Panel design?
Electronics?
Gauges/controls?
Weight?
HP?
HP to weight ratio?
Ski stance?
Center of gravity?
Chassis width?

Thank you in advance for keeping this positive.

Last edited:
U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Yup, This^^. Want to see them go the way of the auto industry and decrease (or dont) the motor displacement and add a turbo. Seems to be more efficient and will be hugely beneficial at altitude.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Turbo would be nice, but I think a few more years away. Hope they make a liar out of me, BUT.. The snow check program is a joke. You pay a ton to get a specific color then Polaris puts a in season rebate on the current model year and you can buy the same sled for 2K less. I would like to see selectibility that really matters. Offer on upgrade to one of the camso tracks, 3.2 or x3 or 2.8. Offer the front cooler, maybe a fox shock package.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Are there any refinements that would increase chassis durability?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Thanks Scott

Ambassador Scottie (I like the sound of that).

Well...

Improve (greatly) the quality of the wiring harness, choice of connectors, add a fuse box, go full DC on the electrical system by using a series/switching voltage regulator, ditch unsealed relay connections, use better wire for the vibration environment it lives in.

Improve the electric starter system from the "hodge podge" system... ditch the boat anchor battery.

Skis.... IMPROVE the spindle/snubber design so it doesn't FAIL like it does for most.

Address the wear issues on the tracks that have been shown here and across the web.

Offer a low and high seat option during snow check.

Change the toe holds to be less of an injury hazzard.

Integrate the oil tank into the fuel tank.. and make it smaller... say enough for 2 rides instead of four.

Specify that Walker Evans, In the shocks they make for the RMK's, switch to MUCH more durable synthetic shock oil so they aren't worn out so fast, needlessly.

Improve the EV cable design as it has been shown to break often. Incorporate a sensor and ECU routine that will indicate that the EV cable has broken or the solenoid is not functioning (this would be EASY).

Skinny up the sled even more.

Offer up a narrow ski stance option during snow check.

Offer up a front tunnel/bulkhead cooler as an option during snowcheck like you did in 2015. (we now know that is doable)

Partner with Garmin or Raytheon for better PIDD Mapping.

Continue to build a GREAT SLED...and listen to your customers.

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Dump tunnel coolers and use SKS style bulkhead cooler only. Make bulk head cooler bigger if needed for cooling capacity. Tunnel heat melts snow gets everything wet then eventually re-freezes as ice build up. Keep tunnel cold to eliminate this. Locate heat where track will always clear the ice. (The bulkhead)

Rotate stock at dealers! All 6 dealers in my area have same exact base model sleds and colors. It feels like Walmart! I can’t find a pro-x switchback or switchback XCR 800 anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ambassador Scottie (I like the sound of that).

Well...

Improve (greatly) the quality of the wiring harness, choice of connectors, add a fuse box, go full DC on the electrical system by using a series/switching voltage regulator, ditch unsealed relay connections, use better wire for the vibration environment it lives in.

Change the toe holds to be less of an injury hazzard.
Continue to build a GREAT SLED...and listen to your customers.

I would settle for at LEAST these 2 .. And yeah the last one too if they would be better at it say10% more- that would be 100% better.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
As every one wants a better product but it also comes with price increase and also less service work for dealer making money on repairs. Imo the sleds are pretty darn good so much that I have not bought one for a few years. The innovations of longer tracks and lighter weights of sleds really drove sales when we coming from a 136 in track and a 525lb sled. Putting boost on and being dependable will be next step.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
A leaner map for +40 temps. these things are absolute hell to tune in the spring, can't help but think they simply get fat. I've never had a sled drive me as nuts in the spring as the Axys does.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
A real one ski, not the Timbersled (wantabee) crap!

Narrow the AXYS chassis by at least 12" (24" max Width at widest point of the Plastics), Lose the conventional CVT and develop an in the driver CVT (I'll sell them my designs). Yeti style belt drive from crankshaft to CVT input on the driver CL. Yeti Ski or similar. One pair of A-arms pointing straight out the front to a Yeti like spindle. Mono-arm style rear suspension (think, EZ-Ryde but do it better). Mount the rear shock in the arm with linkage to near the upper pivot (eliminates the need for excessive chassis reinforcement behind the arm pivot point / foot pegs / balance point). A real thermodynamic cooler extrusion (finned inside and out, NOT the bathtub extrusion design you've used for 13 plus years now), only under the fuel tank and front close off of the bulkhead. Everything behind the fuel tank / foot pegs / rear suspension arm pivot to be "REAL Carbon Fiber" (not the FAUX carbon fiber you currently import and use) skin strictly for snow protection. 10-12" wide track with good lug towers incorporated (CMX's new offering or similar) in various lengths. 600 and 800 CFI engine choices. Max Wet Ready to Ride weight of 300. Excellent arctic quality waterproof electronics / wiring harness (not outsourced Chinese garbage).

As they commit to a build sheet 3-4 years before production most all of this thread is a waste of time for 2019 or even 2020.

I
Nov 26, 2007
A arms that don’t bend by looking at them. Whatever happened to the break away tabs saving the a arm and bulkhead, has anyone ever seen one break?

Premium Features