• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Team primary Cutler adjustable weights

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
So I was trying to figure out this new primary clutch and came up with a super helpful tip for removal and install of these new team weights.

I was trying to tune the clutch in before going to the rabbit ears to ride my new beast. While taking out the stock weights to grind them to get rpms, I came up with this magnet trick. The steel washers on the side of the weight kept falling down in the clutch and making me curse the stupid design of this new clutch!

First I take the belt off then spread the clutch and stick a old weight in between the spider and the sheave to hold the clutch open so I can get the weights out. Then I stick a magnet to the weight and it has to be this big fat magnet in order to hold the washers to the side of the weight just right. See pictures below.

With the magnet stuck to the weight, slip the bolt out of the weight and the weight and washers come out in one piece super easy nice and slick!

The stock weights that came in my clutch would not contact the roller. I could put my finger on the heel of the weight and rock the weight in and out. It made no sense to me that the weight would not contact the roller until the Weight swung an .125" inch. I didn't like it! I wanted adjustable weights that fit correctly.

So when I got my Cutler adjustable weights, I was happy to find out they do contact the roller at all times and do not free swing at all. Dale designed his weights to contact the roller how freaking smart!

To install the new weights I just reversed the removal sticking the magnet to the weight and the washers to the sides then slipping the bolt through work super nice.

I put a 3 gram screw in the heel and put it all the way in until it stopped. 68 grams in the weights and I gained 200 rpms. I was now hitting 8160 to 8240 on each pull up a small test hill where before I was only getting 7900 rpms at best with the stock weights that I had ground down to 68 Grams. With the cutler weights Engagement rpm was increased by 300 rpms from 3900 stock to 4200 rpms. I was a little afraid of it banging into gear but it is smooth as silk! Super happy with these weights! Engages smooth and pulls hard all the way up!

So there's my team primary clutch Tip of the Week. Oh and get yourself some Cutler adjustable weights if you want to tune in your rpms super easily!

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Would it not be easier to remove the front plate and take spring out to take pressure off before changing weights

I don't think so. Wedging a weight in there takes 2 seconds, removing the 6 bolts takes a minute or two. Then you have to put them back in after your done. There goes another couple minutes and bloody knuckles from the razor sharp edges of the belly pan!

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
How did you get the weights already is my question?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The Proclimb has finally turn into something I can like. So.... YES! I am liking it more every ride! It has the fun factor I needed. Some more power may be needed tho!:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
Premium Features