• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive Belt Break In

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Does anyone have any info regarding the Break in process for the QD system belt?

Just wondering what is happening to the belt in the first 100 or so miles. What is the fiberous material coming off the belt? Is there a physical change that happens to the belt?

I took one out this weekend in 14 miles. I rode 13.3 miles with my panties on and then we came into a nice meadow with rolling hills and I let er rip for about .7 miles.......lots of neverending catwalking and WOT...... and then I took out about 3" worth of cogs.

Installed new QD Belt and put on another 54 miles yesterday driving nicely and breaking it in as per manual.

On an installation note, it took me around 15 minutes total time to change the belt and I did not use the special tools for sliding the gears in place, but they would just make it that much easier but definetly can be easily done without them.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I really hope there not that touchy to proper break in. Hard to get 100 miles on in the mountains with out wfo.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I'm interested in this part indicating he took out 3" worth of cogs...

"I took one out this weekend in 14 miles. I rode 13.3 miles with my panties on and then we came into a nice meadow with rolling hills and I let er rip for about .7 miles.......lots of neverending catwalking and WOT...... and then I took out about 3" worth of cogs."

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Just imagine the belt with out the cogs. Not too hard of a leap to believe that a belt failed. There has already been confirmed reports of this.

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Pictures

Not sure what difference pictures will make, but here is what it looks like.

I think it was the WOT runs that was the cause which is why I am asking what is physically happening to the belt during break in.

I hope mountainhorse may be able to shed some light to this topic.

image.jpg

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the pics! Very unsettling for sure..Guess I'll be ordering a spare.

S

spider

Apr 21, 2012
Crested Butte, CO
So were you able to drive the sled with it like that?

I'm interested in hearing the break-in theories as well, 100 miles seems like a long-*** time.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
My hope and guess is that there are some defective belts. Or they went with a lower quality belt or different manufacture then their test and demo units.

there is no way they were failing like this and made it through R&D and all the demo days, something had to have changed or is defective. Should be cured by a simple belt up date or a recall on a bad batch of belts.

Last edited:

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
I don't care if you rode the sh!t out of it, no excuses for these failures. I know stuff breaks, but between this and the driveshaft issues, polaris didn't test well enough. Not every person that owns one of these sleds is on snowest talking about their issues. So, with the few that I've seen reported on here...really makes me wonder how many actually are breaking. Will they cover that belt under warranty, beings it only had roughly 15 miles.

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
22 road miles yesterday in which I was not shy with the throttle and nothing broken, Lots of short WOT, sled ran really good, even new, even with mixed fuel.

Premium Features