• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adding reverse

K
Oct 16, 2008
Northern BC
Hi guys,
I am looking at adding reverse to my 2001 800 mxz, electronic or mechanical.
I know you can get electronic reverse for that year of sled, but can you get mechanical? Is adding electronic reverse just as simple as changing the computer box (no engine mods to be done?)? Is there any aftermarket kits for this mod? I am pretty new to snowmobiling, so I am all questions right now!

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
kvfrider-Welcome to the forum!

Yes there was RER available in the late model 2001 MXZ's but if your sled did not have it than it is not as simple as changing out the MPEM module. I did it to my 01 Summit this summer and looking back, it was pretty straight forward. Here is what you will need:

1. First you need to pull off you starter assy and peek up into the upper left crankcase area were your pickup is located and see if the case was machined with the additional pocket for the second pickup. Most of them were but some were not. If not, you are dead in the water....if it is there, than you are in business.

2. You will need a complete wiring harness from a 2002 Summit or MXZ (ZX chassis) as they are all the same and wired for RER even if the sled didn't come with it. ***It has to be a 2002 model because in 2003 they changed from the 290W iginition system and then this mod would get more difficult***

3. You will need a magneto (flywheel) from an RER model (2002 only).

4. You will need a dual pickup coil from any 02 Summit or MXZ with RER.

5. You will need an MPEM from a Summit or MXZ that has RER and DPM and/or DESS (tether included) to match what your sled currently has. These items can not be added to MPEM so you need to ensure you find one that all ready had it. It can be off of a 600, 700 or 800 it doesn't matter. If you aren't lucky enough to find a used one from the same model sled as yours, you can send it to BRP race division and have it reprogrammed with the correct timing curve for your motor. Also, if the tether cord and cap were not included, you will need to have it reprogrammed for your tether as well.

6. You will need an RER secondary clutch with the correct helix and spring for your model.

7. You will need the RER switch/push button. Beeper is optional if you like to sound like a forklift when backing up. If you want the beeper than you will need a new DESS indicator light on your instrument panel or you will need to reverse the wires for it to beep. If you don't want the beeper, leave the wires alone and the DESS light will flash when RER is engaged. A DESS/RER indicator light will allow you to have both flashing light and beeper....your call.

8. Go on eBay and buy a service manual for 2001 and 2002 so you can compare the wiring diagrams when you do the wiring harness swap to ensure everything else is plug and play.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but once you have done it and look back it isn't all that bad. Since you are looking at doing this to an MXZ, you are way ahead of the game since 90% of all sleds with RER in 2002 were MXZ's and there are lots of people parting them out. If you are patient, you can find eveerything you need on eBay or on forums. I did mine for $225 in parts and $85 to have the MPEM reprogrammed.

If you decide to go this route, let me know and I can help you out with any questions you might have....:beer;:beer;:beer;

P
Feb 24, 2008
2001 came with and option for a manual gear reverse, just swap some parts in the chaincase. But electronic reverse came stock as an option on 2002 and newer, But require a different secondary clutch (rer)for the reverse shifting to work along with an ignition swap to reverse the engine. Pretty expensive unless you buy parts off e-bay. I'd recommend mechanical reverse. easy install and there are lots of mechanical reverse kits out there off of retired/wrecked zx sleds. Same reverse on all sizes of sleds, just different gears installed for final drive. I happen to have one just sitting in my 2001 800 summit which could possibly be forsale. Also look on skidoo.com parts and pull up the parts schematics on both years of sleds and compare part numbers and see pictures of parts on the different types of reverse.

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
purp45

If you are selling that reverse kit I have a 01 700 summit. Let me know if your selling it.

K
Oct 16, 2008
Northern BC
purp45,
Thanks for the info. I have checked the brp parts catalog and I still cant find what I need for the mechanical reverse. I looked under chaincase ( is that the right spot?!). Also let us know what you want for the reverse kit you have, if you are willing to part with it!

M
Dec 2, 2008
Q For Heavysledz - same deal on a 2002 Summit Highmark X

Excellent how to! I too am a newbie, just bought a 2002 Summit Highmark X with DESS but no RER. I have a few questions regarding my specific model, would you mind taking a look at them?

1. First you need to pull off you starter assy and peek up into the upper left crankcase area were your pickup is located and see if the case was machined with the additional pocket for the second pickup. Most of them were but some were not. If not, you are dead in the water....if it is there, than you are in business.

I assume that my model will have this?

2. You will need a complete wiring harness from a 2002 Summit or MXZ (ZX chassis) as they are all the same and wired for RER even if the sled didn't come with it. ***It has to be a 2002 model because in 2003 they changed from the 290W iginition system and then this mod would get more difficult***

No problem there...

On both 3 and 4, is there any chance those would be on an 02 DESS non-RER model?

5. You will need an MPEM from a Summit or MXZ that has RER and DPM and/or DESS (tether included) to match what your sled currently has. These items can not be added to MPEM so you need to ensure you find one that all ready had it. It can be off of a 600, 700 or 800 it doesn't matter. If you aren't lucky enough to find a used one from the same model sled as yours, you can send it to BRP race division and have it reprogrammed with the correct timing curve for your motor. Also, if the tether cord and cap were not included, you will need to have it reprogrammed for your tether as well.

I found one off of an 2002 800x, but it doesn't have DESS - do you see that as a problem?

6. You will need an RER secondary clutch with the correct helix and spring for your model.

Luckily, it has a 2005 secondary clutch that I believe is RER - is there a way to tell by looking?

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Excellent how to! I too am a newbie, just bought a 2002 Summit Highmark X with DESS but no RER. I have a few questions regarding my specific model, would you mind taking a look at them?

Answer: Yes it should but it would save you a bunch of time if you pull the rewind starter off and look boefore moving forward.

No problem there...

On both 3 and 4, is there any chance those would be on an 02 DESS non-RER model?
Answer: No, they are different parts between the RER and Non-RER models so you will need to get the correct parts from a sled that had the RER originally.

I found one off of an 2002 800x, but it doesn't have DESS - do you see that as a problem?
Answer: This will work but keep in mind you will not have the DESS any more. Are you sure this MPEM has RER but not DESS? Quick way to tell is look at the second connector from the left to right (the one to the right of the 3 pin triangular connector) If it has 4 pins, it is an RER equiped model. If only 2 pins, it does not have RER. Also keep in mind that you will need to have it reprogrammed to match you specific model sled.

Luckily, it has a 2005 secondary clutch that I believe is RER - is there a way to tell by looking?
Answer: If it is from a 2005 model, it will all ready be equiped with an RER button style helix even if the sled did not have RER.

M
Dec 2, 2008
Cool! Ok, a few more clarifications...

I really appreciate your help!

Answer: Yes it should but it would save you a bunch of time if you pull the rewind starter off and look boefore moving forward.

You got me thinking, do I need a special starter to kick backwards, or does the MPEM handle this with the current starter?

Answer: This will work but keep in mind you will not have the DESS any more. Are you sure this MPEM has RER but not DESS? Quick way to tell is look at the second connector from the left to right (the one to the right of the 3 pin triangular connector) If it has 4 pins, it is an RER equiped model. If only 2 pins, it does not have RER. Also keep in mind that you will need to have it reprogrammed to match you specific model sled.

Just talked to the guy, and as you suggested, it DOES have DESS. On the reprogramming, is there any difference between the MXz800 and The Summit 800 HighmarkX engine programming that you are aware of?

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
The starters are the same. If the motor dies and you restart, it will be in forwardagain and you will need to hit the RER button to have the motor change directions.

Yes, the Summit and MXZ have different timing curves. It will work but you will loose some of the timing retarding capabilty that the summit has. There are some features the Summit models have that the MXZ's do not. I would suggest you get it reprogrammed with the correct program. If you want to throw it in and test it on your sled, it will work fine for that purpose.

F
Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, WY
Just a couple of notes about this...

A full harness is not necessary. Parts actually needed:

* One new connector for the trigger coils, another single trigger coil, or a dual pickup assembly (new/used), which would include the connector.
* One new connector for the temp sensor, if you have DPM and still want to use it.
* New connector locks for the rest of the existing connectors, save the stator connector. The reason being is that on the 2002 RER MPEM (and non RER as well?), there are plastic posts inside the male end- socket on the MPEM, which do not match the 2001 connectors. Keeps from having someone plug connectors into wrong sockets on MPEM. See pic.
* 1 terminal pin for RER switch. On non RER models, there is one hole of the wiring harness connector, which plugs into MPEM, that has no wire or terminal pin in it, and has a plug installed. Should be a beige wire, which runs to one side of the reverse switch on panel. Other side of switch should be a black wire- find a spare black wire, or tap into an existing one on the engine side of the harness. See schematic.

Connectors and locking portion of connector,as well as the metal terminal pins can all be ordered. The assumption here is that the reverse beeper isn't necessary. Could still wire that in, too, without buying a whole other harness, used or new. The point of all this is for those that just don't care to pull one harness out and swap for another.

Assuming the bosses are cast into engine for second trigger coil (pickup), all one needs is a the correct tap- holes cast in appear to be correct size, and no drilling required. Worked for me, anyway. I haven't seen any of the cases where the second set of bosses aren't cast in, but haven't looked at a ton of cases, either.

M
Dec 2, 2008
This is the kind of support that will keep this forum valid and watched - thanks very much for your help. I just had my last ride of the season, and will be doing the reverse mod this summer, so I've copied everything down and again, I very much appreciate the assistance!

David

M
Dec 2, 2008
For Heavysledz & FIII_Mtn - MPEM Question

Hi guys, FINALLY getting around to this project. Found an 2004 Summit HO MPEM with RER, DESS and DPM. Any thoughts on using the 04 MPEM? I know Heavysledz mentioned the 290W ignition, but I'm guessing the MPEM doesn't care...

Cheers,
David

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Primary also for Polaris.

We have been picking up Fuji taper 550F P85's from Polaris dealers, these were brand new takeoffs since BRP allowed them to share the technology around 05'.

The Polaris conversion also requires a new primary to retrofit, just an fyi.:)

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Hi guys, FINALLY getting around to this project. Found an 2004 Summit HO MPEM with RER, DESS and DPM. Any thoughts on using the 04 MPEM? I know Heavysledz mentioned the 290W ignition, but I'm guessing the MPEM doesn't care...

Cheers,
David

David,

You have to match up your ignition system (i.e. coil,flywheel/magneto) with your MPEM or you will burn it up and the timing is also different as well as most of the connectors were changed between years which opens up a big can of worms. If you want to use this MPEM than you need to ensure you get the magneto/flywheel, coil and wiring harness from a 2004 but will still need to change out a few connectors on your DPM and possibly DESS connectors if you are using your older components. Whichever way you decide to go, buy a manual for that year of snowmobile so you have the correct wiring diagrams and part numbers for the correct connectors if you need to change any of them out. You can find them on eBay for under $10. Hope this helps...

M
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks Heavysledz. I'll go with 2002 off the MXZ (kinda sucks because the guy with 02 is pretty proud of his mpem vs the guy with the 04 - oh well).

Have a good one.
David

David,

You have to match up your ignition system (i.e. coil,flywheel/magneto) with your MPEM or you will burn it up and the timing is also different as well as most of the connectors were changed between years which opens up a big can of worms. If you want to use this MPEM than you need to ensure you get the magneto/flywheel, coil and wiring harness from a 2004 but will still need to change out a few connectors on your DPM and possibly DESS connectors if you are using your older components. Whichever way you decide to go, buy a manual for that year of snowmobile so you have the correct wiring diagrams and part numbers for the correct connectors if you need to change any of them out. You can find them on eBay for under $10. Hope this helps...

Premium Features