• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling in Closed Areas

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
The one real problem with democracy is that 51% of the people can tell the other 49% what to do. Tyranny of the masses. The more voters that the scofflaws sway to the other side, the easier it is for the enviros to pass laws in their favor. Upset disinterested people enough and they suddenly become interested.
The greenies love to wave pictures of sledders blantantly disregarding the law. One that circulated in this area for a while was a sledder flipping the bird at a boundry sign as he rode past it. Kind of hard to counter that kind of juvenial behavior. I can't confirm it but I heard that it was pulled from a sledding forum. They get a lot of mileage out of acts like that.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Who on this forum is living in a democracy??? Who would want to? Who knows the difference?:clock:

Hey, take it easy on Steamboat, he's getting old ! He knows this is a Republic. He also knows that in a Republic we elect officials that vote for us (supposedly based on our wishes) so we don't have to vote on every single issue.

Do you know what a Democracy is? It's two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner !

So while his fingers got ahead of his thoughts there for a moment, his train of thought was correct.

If you want to control the law, you have to control the lawmakers. Period.

We aren't getting closed out of area's because the other side is right. We are getting closed out of area's because the other side has people's ears on the subject and they don't stop pushing.

People riding OOB only give them more ammo to shoot us with. Great.

B

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Hey, take it easy on Steamboat, he's getting old ! He knows this is a Republic. He also knows that in a Republic we elect officials that vote for us (supposedly based on our wishes) so we don't have to vote on every single issue.

Do you know what a Democracy is? It's two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner !

So while his fingers got ahead of his thoughts there for a moment, his train of thought was correct.

We aren't getting closed out of area's because the other side is right. We are getting closed out of area's because the other side has people's ears on the subject and they don't stop pushing.

B

Bagger,

Nicely put explanation.... Nothing is perfect, but it's the best system going. And you're right about the reason we get closed out, they don't give up.:face-icon-small-sad

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
Not all closures are done at the Federal or State levels. Many are deceided at the local level and put to a popular vote. But then I AM getting old as you say. For the most part our elected officials are put there by popular vote. They are charged with protecting the interests of the majority that elected them. The more people that are driven to the wolves side of the table by irresponsible riders, the more we look like dinner.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
lets not get carried away here, there is not plenty of places that arent closed anymore... and if we dont organize and step up our attack to get areas re opened, then were just going to lose more and more and more...

and when the day comes that areas i grew up riding are closed, and i have done all i could to keep it open, well then, its the middle finger to them as i will ride where i want to... until then, its letter writing and money donation time...

Exactly.

There are more corperations donating big $$$ to shut us out now than ever before.
Look at REI's web site and see just how much they donate to whom (just 1 example of MANY)
I too, am keeping with the high road in that I'm writing the letters and donating what I can, for now.
I do pay attention to who supports us and who does not. This does determine where I will, and will not spend money.

As for your point Phatty,
When the day comes that there are no more riding areas with in reasonable distance to be able to ride legally, My middle finger will be right beside yours.
Until then though, Letters, T-Shirts, information put out on the other forums I advertize on, and donations, while riding legally.

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Exactly

Stu D,
You are right, there are a BUNCH of corp's out there funding this crap. We aren't fighting individuals, but ALL the individuals who are getting the backing of the corps.
I'm not advocating sticking our collective heads in the snow and see'n what happens......
Let's get creative, lets get pro-active and get our side of the issue in front of the people.
The big corps follow the dollar, lets work on expanding our membership. Not just sled NEW rider/owners (but that's where we need to start) but folks that join the local club, state organization, and outfits like SAWS.

Some of you lucky Bastages grew up sledding. I didn't. I bought my first sled just to access our cabin......and the hook was set. But every time I get a chance I drag someone new out on the snow. I've only had one person have a miserable time. (and it was funny, but that's a differant story) We have to increase our numbers, and we have to "bring the newbies up right". Get them in a local club, get them out working on trails in spring, and INVOLVED.
B

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
We need something to break the feeling of inevitability. You talk to hunters, a lot believe hunting will be outlawed soon. Backcountry horse people, believe they will be kicked out of Wilderness soon. ATV and 4 wheeler's have already raised the white flag, all over the country. A lot of sledders I know, believe it will all be limited to trail riding soon, and the decision is already made.

I have a bunch of ideas, but they all involve money. And, we seem to have a problem with fund raising for sledding.

P
Nov 26, 2007
wilds of Montana

B
I do appreciate your definition of democracy,seems a lot of people have no clue.
As to controling lawmakers, are you suggesting we should take up a collection and buy a few?....;)

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I do appreciate your definition of democracy,seems a lot of people have no clue.
As to controling lawmakers, are you suggesting we should take up a collection and buy a few?....;)

Either that, or we could just follow a couple around for awhile with a camera..........probably cheaper and there's nothing like a little leverage!
B

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Stu D,
You are right, there are a BUNCH of corp's out there funding this crap. We aren't fighting individuals, but ALL the individuals who are getting the backing of the corps.
I'm not advocating sticking our collective heads in the snow and see'n what happens......
Let's get creative, lets get pro-active and get our side of the issue in front of the people.
The big corps follow the dollar, lets work on expanding our membership. Not just sled NEW rider/owners (but that's where we need to start) but folks that join the local club, state organization, and outfits like SAWS.

We have to increase our numbers, and we have to "bring the newbies up right". Get them in a local club, get them out working on trails in spring, and INVOLVED.
B

You hit 2 great points directly on the head.
Newbys are the future of the sport.
With out them, there is no future for the sport.
and it is fun watching them get stuck.... alot. (it's OK to laugh at that some as we ALL were there once)

The $$$ is the big one though and you definately hit that right.
I'm not opposed to taking up a collection to bribe a senator.
Black mailing a senator could work too (but I refuse to follow Larry Craig into a mens room)

Organizing it shouldn't be THAT hard.
Most snowmobile MFGs/related companies/shops etc should be sent some sort of letter asking for financial help to go to an organization (SAWS or something similar) to be able to get pro-active and fight these bastards.
Asking them to join, of course, would also be a part of it.
I'd donate to it, happily, and put up a page on my site advertizing to other sledders as well.
The hard part would be finding the right politition(s) to be able to stand up for us.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Interesting thread, I didn't read the whole thing but enough. I led the fight in my area over the last couple of years to keep my favoite area from being closed. There is a dirty little secret I found. Often the skier/quiet use groups are doing no more than blowing smoke. That is what happened here. We did rally the troops in an impressive fashion. Started a new club where there was none, signed up a hundred or so memebers from two little mountain towns and fought back. We raised money with club dues and had a fundraiser last month that brought in thousands. We have been heard. We made nice with the forest mangers in two forests. They now notify us when meetings are being held. They used to be pretty secretive for "public" meetings.

I took they to task in the local paper, usually a scary place consideing the press usually comes down on the side of the libs. We turned it around, using common sense as an argument. The editor of the paper eventually called out the skier group, told it like it was. WE tried to work with them. They wanted to continue dis-information and attempts to incite issues that had no merit. Common sense won out. They did influence an enviro FS manager to the point of declaring and area "unsuitable". That is not a closure though and the admission was made publicly by a BLM manager that it was "to late" for the skiers. We had demonstrated use of the area. An area they claimed as "historically" a skier only venue. Boy were they bummed to see historic pictures of local on sleds, in the area from the 60's...ooops.

So as far as riding closures contributing to more closures, I don't buy it. Demonstrating use of an area of public land can work. It did in my case. Every area is different but the "wilderness" I ride illegally is so far off the beaten trail there is no way it could be enforced. It is better than ten miles from the nearest parking area and the skiers never get that far. The wildlife sure as heck isn't an issue, even the Elk have trouble in 10-12 ft of snow. Yes, I ride it...blatantly. I have discussed it with the FS people and they know, and readily admit they can not and will not bother trying to enforce it. They know we are not doing any damage.

Its is something that needs to be addressed locally, in an organized fashion. The greenies can be beat. I have a feeling we will see fewer and fewer closures as time goes on and hopefully, eventually reversal of some of the stupid policies previously enacted. I believe that a sleeping giant is awakening. I know when I took the greenies to task, backed by a substantial local user group, WE WON. Maybe just the battle, but it sure felt good. It out them on notice that we would not sit by and just let them steal from us anymore.

Work with land managers. If yours is a crazy enviro version, find somebody with a brain and work it from that angle. There are people in that system with brains and common sense. Appeal to them, make sure they now this is PUBLIC land they are messing with and we intend to USE it. It can work.

So say what you will, I pretty much ride where I want unless it is posted private land. I do avoid blatantly antogonizing by not riding closures that are in the public eye. I do ride remote closures, let them try and catch me. A little civil disobedience is what this great country was founded on. Sometimes, when you know you are in the right, I say screw the man. This land is our land, this land is your land. Lets live and let live. Lets band together and change what is wrong not ride in fear of retribution for bad policy. I don't believe for a second my "illegal" riding has hurt the sport. In fact I bet nobody but my riding buddies even know it is happening. What does that hurt?

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
It is not the one or two guys riding far from away from the public eye that does the harm. It is the morons that jump into closed areas in plain view of other users that causes the problems. Here on Buff Pass and the Ears it is common to see riders blow right past signs and ride out of bounds less than a mile from the trailhead. Most of the time it is some tourist that is just here for a few days and then heads back to Podunk, Nebraska. And most of the time it is some punk kid that has not seen the steady decline of riding areas. It is that "screw em" attitude that slams doors in our faces.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Ouray,
Congrats on the hard won battle. Way to organize and get people working together to get the word out. That's what we all need to do and in a big way......

I want you to consider this, what sorta' damage would it do to wake up and see a pic of you and a couple buddies in the wilderness on the front page of the local paper after this victory? Suppose the greenies could use a new pic of you OOB just as effectivly as you used old pics of sleds to win?

Maybe a headline like "Sledders win land battle and still ride in the Wilderness".

Bet that would make it tough to ever rally support again.

If you think your too far off the beaten trail to be photo'd think again.

I'm no body special, and even I have three buddies that would be happy to take me up flying in their planes some Saturday or Sunday........

Don't want to rain on your parade, you guys did a ton of hard work and won, Thank you.

I would just hate to see it messed up.

Here's to you. :beer; B

O
Dec 6, 2007
Ouray,
Congrats on the hard won battle. Way to organize and get people working together to get the word out. That's what we all need to do and in a big way......

I want you to consider this, what sorta' damage would it do to wake up and see a pic of you and a couple buddies in the wilderness on the front page of the local paper after this victory? Suppose the greenies could use a new pic of you OOB just as effectivly as you used old pics of sleds to win?

Maybe a headline like "Sledders win land battle and still ride in the Wilderness".

Bet that would make it tough to ever rally support again.

If you think your too far off the beaten trail to be photo'd think again.

I'm no body special, and even I have three buddies that would be happy to take me up flying in their planes some Saturday or Sunday........

Don't want to rain on your parade, you guys did a ton of hard work and won, Thank you.

I would just hate to see it messed up.

Here's to you. :beer; B

They tried that. In fact there is a picture I took of sleds parked in a wilderness area proudly hanging on the wall of a popular local restaurant. The USFS and BLM managers have all eaten there, seen it and had a chuckle over it.

I wish you and your buddies GOOD LUCK flying over the terrain we ride. We've had several CRASH in the past few years trying to get scienic photos.

The skiers kept sending pics to the paper, they were published. Those pics however were legal riding areas even though they attempted to infer otherwise. Didn't get them anywhere, in fact it may have made it more difficult for them to forward their adgenda.

Point is, it isn't anybodys land to take. It is public land, designated wilderness or whatever. That is the common sense premis that won this. What really helped win this was that the skier greenies are newcomers to an old ranching community. The old time residents had enough and stood up. You can only be a doormat if you lie down and allow them to treat you like one. They fight dirty, I can not comprehend when sledders insist on trying to play fair or be nice in the face of this. Freakin fight back guys! That is what happened here, it worked. Nice guys finish last comes to mind. You want to lose it all, keep up the pansy attitudes. No personal offense meant:)

Last edited:
S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
root of land closure?

Yeah Wade, zero dollar fines are one solution, but greenies would catch on in just two or three seasons. But when you say that you fully support some areas being closed, do you mean that you support some areas being closed to snowmobiles?

There's at least three kinds of illegal riding, A) accidental, B) deliberate/clandestine, C) deliberate/obvious. Since "civil disobedience" is a form of protest, you can't do it by accident. Sneaking past signs at oblique angles or on obscure paths seems more like shoplifting or poaching... to use Wade's reference, Gandhi would not be proud. An honest protester, if caught, instead of saying "I didn't see the sign," would have to tell the judge "I'm guilty because I ride OOB with moral conviction that these rules are unjust."

That said, I remain doubtful that public lands ever get closed due to illegal snowmobiling. Like I said on page one, I know locally of at least ten thousand acres above 9,600' that are now officially open as a result of persistent illegal riding, but not one acre of public land ever closed as punishment or remedy for illegal riding. Motor vehicle closures appear to occur for reasons that are not in response to illegal riding, examples being watershed protection or wilderness designation. In Lake Tahoe basin, MTBE fuel additive (toxic) is showing up in well waters downstream of legal snowmobile play areas. Now, THAT'S a closure waiting to happen whereas snow impressions in nowheresville are easy to ignore.

But don't make the mistake of assuming that no one knows about remote OOB snowmobiling, even if you use the back door. Even in small clearings, snowmobile impressons stand out on remote snows like a huge exclamation mark. Snow can preserve track marks for days or even weeks so aerial recon makes a quick and geographically precise tally of snowmobile OOB. The FS in Calif sends out news releases every year on this - which is why it is now obvious that portals of snowmobile access are not being closed due to OOB riding.

I've seen pictures of illegal riding. The funny thing is they look no different than legal riding. People who publish that stuff just look ridiculous, might as well record the ripples on a lake. Those photos actually work against the closers. Snotel said at the start of this thread that illegal riding is the root of the land closure problem. ? Someone said that we're losing riding areas primarily due to sprawl. ? In Cali we're gaining areas. There was never a organized mass 'protest' ride above Leavitt Lake as far as I know, just steady non-compliance by locals and visitors. Citations were issued for lapsed registration and bizarre stuff like filming without a permit, but not for OOB! As far as I can tell, it was the high-profile solo/tag team violations that convinced the FS that they could not afford to manage a closure on the area, so they simply opened 10K acres of the most popular terrain. I'm headed there tomorrow :D

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Don't worry Swami, I was referring to organized, non-violent, media informed, blatant riding, right in front of the sign, with a press conference afterwards. Followed by arrests and tickets to everyone. Gandhi, would be proud.

Yha, I support some areas being closed to snowmobiling. I don't think it needs to be 107 million acres.

Actually, if a forest supervisor ever said an area was being closed due to snowmobile violations, I think it would make for an interesting court case. I don't believe it would stand up in court.

Zero dollar fines might be a little bit of a stretch, but they shouldn't be allowed to fine you for more than the damage you caused. The forest service would probably claim they need to recover the cost of catching people, or something stupid like that. But, if they ever said that, I'd start seeing wilderness OOB riding just like speeding on the interstate. Do it, if you can afford it.

Even though I don't support OOB riding at this time, I can see that your argument makes sense. The Forest Service (or the people that support wilderness) need to put up the money to guard the wilderness from OOB riding. If it isn't important enough to hire patrols for, then why should it be important to me?

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
It must be quite hard to ride with your head so deep in the sand? I would love to see ANY documentation that links the opening of previously closed areas solely to illegal riding. It might have sparked a dialog that lead to the land managers working with the local clubs and other groups like BRC to come up with a reasonable plan. But I will never believe that they just threw up their hands and quit. You can bet big money that if they did that the greenies would sue for reversal and even more closures. The REALITY is that many land managers use documentation of infractions to request additional funding for enforcement. Let me assure you that I have been involved for MANY years trying to work within the system to keep public land pulic for ALL users. As an avid dirt biker and sledder for 30+ years I have seen many areas closed due to illegal riding. Both public and private lands. Steamboat/ Buff Pass is an excellent example. Rapid growth has brought increased complaints by newly transplanted enviro-nazis. The californication of Colorado has brought an influx of Cali enviro-trash and they will not be happy until every internal combustion engine is silent. (except for their SUVs of course). For every 1 area that allegedly opens due to illegal activities I can show you 5 that have been closed for the same thing. Even such OHV meccas as MOAB are under increasing pressure to close to motorized use.
But you go right on riding illegaly, I'm and old coot and 10 to 15 years from now I doubt I'll be able to ride much so it won't bother me if there is no place left to ride.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Used to be able to ride in Yellowstone on your OWN sled ,go to West for a weekend ride and ride back through and go home. Not anymore.....amazed at how many had to highmark or ride off trail in the park...look at what that got us..more rules and bad publicity. Hell those azzmonkeys probably went home to Arkansas or something! Nothing like having some greenie skier in your track flip you off on your way out!!

O
Dec 6, 2007
Steamboat, I can tell you from working with the land managers in my case, at least the reasonable ones, USE of an area IS reason for changes in policy, probably the only valid reason. I am saying that if you don't start somewhere, there isn't going to be any progess towards re-opening areas. Somebody has to start the civil disobedience and move into dialog with the managers. I firmly believe and have seen it work first hand more than once, you have to show use of the land in order to move forward with the changes. They are not going to work with you if you can not prove use by the public. The managers are charged with making public lands usable by the largest number of people, regardless of the use itself. Sometimes you have to remind them of it but they eventually live and die by the edicts of Congress and the people. Showing use, even if it is currently closed, followed by a sensible case for re-opening an area does work.

We do need to pick the battles wisely though. The skiers want easy access. They have no means nor desire to travel back into the forest several miles. I can and will on the sled. What I want is what the skiers want, fresh powder, and an incredible backcountry experience. On thing I stood firm on was access. We want to drive to the top of the pass unload and ride, not be forced to drive an extra hour to be out of their hair. I may have agreed to just a designated trail going back in a couple of miles to keep us seperated. Didn't have to but that would have been acceptable to me.

That is why I do not purposely ride closures on the road or in popular skier venues. We have the ability to go beyond that and truely access what is likely better terrian anyway. We have every right to use public land. There is lots of questionable policy out there right now but motorized users have begun to fight back in biggger an bigger numbers every year. I may be too optomistic but I think we can turn it around. Heck, I am sledless this year, it is killing me but I will continue the battle because I am still young at 39 and want to ride the awesome mountains around my home.

I hope that clarifies my point somewhat:)

Premium Features