• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'02 800 EFI problems w/ EFI

R
Dec 26, 2007
Bozeman, Montana
Got a buddies '02 800 EFI cat that won't run. When you put gas in the cylinders its fires and runs till that fuel is gone, thus narrowing it down to the EFI system. Any place to start? ECU moduel? Short? Spark is good at the plugs, so lack of fuel is the problem and it did it suddenly when we were out riding. Running fine all day the back at the truck in the parking lot it just quit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Matney

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
take the injectors out and see if it is spitting fuel there when you pull it over. Make sure the fuel pump wires aren't cut or came unplugged. If you aren't getting fuel to the injectors it is a fuel pump problem. Make sure there isn't a hole in the fuel line from the pump to the fuel rail had this happen before, but you should be able to smell this. If your not getting fuel through the injectors tap on them and check again, clean them also. If your still not getting fuel i would say it is your fuel pump or the pickups in the tank. How long has it been since the sled has run before this?

I have had this problem after the sled had sat all summer long got different fuel pump and it worked. Make sure when you store them to put stabilizer in the fuel. Hope this helps. zr600

R
Dec 26, 2007
Bozeman, Montana
Thanks guys, I'll start with that. I'm a carb guy. The sled has run about 10 times this year and hasn't sat more than a week or two.

Is there a quick check spot for the fuel pump? Find a line after it and pull it off and check?

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
fuel pump

yep pretty sure its your fuel pump, numerous problems with these. You might be able to take a battery (12volts) and try to jump the fuel pump just unplug it underneath the plastic shroud at the top of the fuel tank. and take 2 small wires and just touch them on the terminals you should be able to hear it spin if it doesnt spin try spinning it backwards and then back forward. You can unhook the fuel line on the clutch side where it goes into the rail above the injectors and see if there is any fuel coming out while you are jumping the pump. These pumps arent cheap either around $300 for a brand new one. Thats all the info i got for ya.

Arcticatdan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Newport, WA
did the bypass pump fuel back into the tank? If not the pressure is not right or the smart valves are not working. should pump a steady stream of fuel back into tank when not running engine.

Premium Features