• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX Track and 129 Rail Extensions

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
I've got a 2016 120 Timbersled. I have had zero issues besides hating the lack of chain adjustment.

For what I do I just don't see big enough changes to the ARO or other very nice kits to justify selling my 16 for likely 3k or less and spending a bunch more on a new kit.

I was thinking I might want to upgrade a little for better deep snow performance.

Assuming the Yeti 129 rail extensions are still available I was thinking about getting the new CMX 129 track. Maybe the ARO ski as well.

Other than having to notch the track(which bothers me), any body see any reason this would be worthwhile upgrade to improve deep snow climbing. Also I figure the old track and ski are worth at least a few bucks to offset the cost.

Thanks

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I've got a 2016 120 Timbersled. I have had zero issues besides hating the lack of chain adjustment.

For what I do I just don't see big enough changes to the ARO or other very nice kits to justify selling my 16 for likely 3k or less and spending a bunch more on a new kit.

I was thinking I might want to upgrade a little for better deep snow performance.

Assuming the Yeti 129 rail extensions are still available I was thinking about getting the new CMX 129 track. Maybe the ARO ski as well.

Other than having to notch the track(which bothers me), any body see any reason this would be worthwhile upgrade to improve deep snow climbing. Also I figure the old track and ski are worth at least a few bucks to offset the cost.

Thanks

I am thinking of doing the same thing myself. I have the long track, and am on my third year with it and sometimes wish I had bought the short track. However, it has been a great kit for me (minus the chain). I ride with aro kits, and see how their track hooks up when mine spins out. Mine is probably a lot softer now than it was when it was new. My kit is pretty dinged up and I imagine resale value would be pretty low. Notching the track doesn’t seem like too big a deal to me. I don’t think it will affect performance one bit. I already bought the aro ski and it is a huge upgrade in my opinion.

M
Jan 14, 2004
My Camso is a 129 as that's all they make. My TS is a 137, in deep light snow you really don't feel much of a disadvantage running the LT. I'm about 90% sure next season we will be able to buy a 120, 129 or 137 with 5.5" rail spacing. To me that's the biggest improvement to handling.

The Camso feels like a short track with the mono rail but has the hook of the LT. There haven't been any days this year when I wished I had less track. I think CMX has the right idea with their kit by keeping the track as close as possible to the bike. It wont be a big deal to narrow the arms on the older TS kits to be able to run 5.5" spacing, that's my plan. My TS kit already has Iceage rails and upgraded suspension. I don't love the chain drive but oh well I can live with it. The 13,14 TS kits aren't worth very much so might as well mod em up. I may cut the front mount off and shorten it as well over the summer.

M5

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
I am thinking of doing the same thing myself. I have the long track, and am on my third year with it and sometimes wish I had bought the short track. However, it has been a great kit for me (minus the chain). I ride with aro kits, and see how their track hooks up when mine spins out. Mine is probably a lot softer now than it was when it was new. My kit is pretty dinged up and I imagine resale value would be pretty low. Notching the track doesn’t seem like too big a deal to me. I don’t think it will affect performance one bit. I already bought the aro ski and it is a huge upgrade in my opinion.

Does the Aro ski bolt right up to the old spindle easily?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Does the Aro ski bolt right up to the old spindle easily?

Yes, I believe so. I bought the new spindle also because it was a package deal. You have to modify the new spindle a little to keep it from bending but it’s easy. If I remember right, you just have to put the new rubber on the old spindle and possibly ream the hole a little bit for a larger bolt. Package deal on the ski/spindle/carbide/everything you need combo was cheaper than just getting the ski because you have to buy the loop, carbides, etc. separate.
You could just buy the package and sell the spindle if you want.
I got mine for less than 500 US.@

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
If i decide to sell my kit instead of going the new track route, i will sell the old ski and spindle with it. I’ll use the new TS ski on either the cmx or Snowtech. Or possibly camso??

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I have an unused set of Yeti extensions for TS. Make me an offer

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
CMX sells tracks. I was just in there and he has some. He is still shipping them out so get yours before you have to wait for next year.

Umm. I think he was talking about track kits without the ski and spindle. No reason to pay for another front end if you have one that works.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
the CMX track is amazing. It hangs with the ARO track really well. The thickness of the lugs seems to be the biggest deal, no flex, all bite on both the ARO and CMX. Side by side they seem very equal, but the CMX I've tried is on a snowtech MX kit, not a TS MH.

Don't waste your time with the yeti or other tracks with the thinner lugs is my 2 cents. 120/129... probably not that big of a deal unless your a big guy. my buddy with the 137 doesn't break any more trail than me but i'm 180 and he's 210.

Premium Features