• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Canadian Sledding Area at Risk

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Bringing this issue back up again from the old forum.

http://www2.lwbc.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=8767

Cat Skiing operation requesting exclusive rights to their tenured land near Trail BC

Just saw this in the Trail times. Big Red Cats has applied for EXCLUSIVE rights to their tenure in the Nancy Greene summit area which includes
Mt. Mackie (Bugle Creek), Neptune and Crowe. This area has been open to public use since they have started cat skiing there a few years ago, but now they want to exclude sledders from crown land that we have enjoyed for decades.

I do not agree with ANY company having exclusive rights to any crown land. It should be there for all to use.

If you agree, please send an email to lwbc.cranbrook@victoria1.gov.bc.ca

Or you can write one by hand and have it sent to the Natural Resource Officer at

FrontCounter BC,
1902 Theatre Road,
Cranbrook, BC
V1C7G1

You can also submit a comment at this site.

http://www2.lwbc.bc.ca/ApplicationP...04290&PrimaryStatus=any&Submit=Submit&id=8767

None of you may have ever rode these areas, but if it was an area you have rode for years, you would hope every sledder out there would support you.

Thanks
Kevin Stein

R
Nov 30, 2007
Kootenays B.C
This has been happening all too often in the Kootenay area, I have seen this type of strategy used on several occasions by different cat skiing/touring operations to literally privatize large areas of public lands. I have attempted to speak with a couple of the company owners who where much less than honest straight up buisness owners. Furthermore they flat out lied in many letters they have been lobbying the government with regularly doing their best to misrepresent the facts and portray sledders as hazardous threats to their buisnesses. A lot needs to be done about this in our area as there are too many touring operations as it is who are now expanding and going for yet more tenures.... Is it possible to get few of local clubs behind this cause ? Its a drag to deal with the political game but were loosing more than most folks realize.. The government is allways looking at votes and cash so its real important that many voices are heard through strong petions and letters starting at local levels and up the poo pile....... Good luck with this & please post any news. Happy Trails

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Just got back from the meeting with Kieran from Big Red Cat Skiing. Must say I am very pleased with the progress from the talks. Roughly 15 sledders attended the meeting, and many had some great suggestions.

In the end, Kieran agreed to withdraw the application, and we (sledders) agreed to form a safety board with members from Big Red Cats where we could all agree on safe procedures for snowmobile travel on the dangerous cat routes. Plans are for public awareness for safe travel. Specifically, signage with warnings of the danger of sno cats travelling on the narrow, steep trails, with signs located at the bottom of each area that is a risk. As well, sledders will be self-policing, making out of town visitors aware of the dangers and how to travel safely. The areas where the cat skiiers are skiing will be shown, and hopefully respected by the sledders. Looks like a win-win situation for all!

Kieran earned my respect, and I'm sure the respect of the local snowmobiling community with the effort to work together on this issue without involving more regulation from the government. :)

Kevin

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
You need to move this to "General", this land use forum is a ghost town.........nobody comes here, lets keep these issues (with good or bad outcomes) in everybodies face!!!!!

P
Hows this?

The way I understand it is a private company wants to have exclusive use of crown land. This goes agaisnt everything that crown land was set aside for in the first place. A temporary barrier is still a barrier. It makes absolutely no difference what the company does, this is unfair and should not be allowed. Would this type of consideration be given for a mining company? or a foresrtry company? how about an oil company? No absolutely not. Why then should any private company even be considered for such an outrageous request?

R
Nov 30, 2007
Kootenays B.C
Its great to hear of a positive outcome for your riding area. Often its not the case. Between the heli/cat touring tenured areas, parks/reserve and now increasing habitat areas the backcountry areas get smaller and busier. I think its great to care for and respect the environment but the extremist political bs approach is so full of holes its absurd and often so far outta whack its incredible that many people seem be hypocritical enough to support it. As much as I fully support being responsible and protecting our planet, I see lots "environmental activists" in the Kootenays who are not willing to work out ANY compromises with the motorsport community, they seem to milk as many gov. grants and funding to create themselfs "income". Its become trendy to be green, though many preach it hard but dont really live it....... Its important that our voices for keeping areas open are heard. Once closures are established the trend will continue regardless of what science or stats really reflect !!!!

S
Dec 21, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
WOW you mean they were actually able to come to an agreement without government involvement?! :beer;:beer; This is what needs to happen everywhere. At least the cat ski operator was willing to listen. Here in the Sea to Sky corridor, it is absolutely disgusting what is going on. Closures happening without any real public consultation. Callaghan is now officially closed, effectively immediately "to preserve the non motorized experience" thanks to the new X country ski centre constructed for the olympics. Honestly, I enjoy both motorized and non motorized back country sports, and there is plenty of room for all activities to take place, but I am always blown away by the extreme attitudes and views of many of the non motorized participants, they are some of the most ignorant, judgemental and annoying people I have ever met! You try and explain to them how it is possible for all activities can coexist but in my experience they are completely unwilling to even listen or consider alternatives most of the time. Truly frustrating!:face-icon-small-con

A
Jan 26, 2008
The shop
WOW you mean they were actually able to come to an agreement without government involvement?! :beer;:beer; This is what needs to happen everywhere. At least the cat ski operator was willing to listen. Here in the Sea to Sky corridor, it is absolutely disgusting what is going on. Closures happening without any real public consultation. Callaghan is now officially closed, effectively immediately "to preserve the non motorized experience" thanks to the new X country ski centre constructed for the olympics. Honestly, I enjoy both motorized and non motorized back country sports, and there is plenty of room for all activities to take place, but I am always blown away by the extreme attitudes and views of many of the non motorized participants, they are some of the most ignorant, judgemental and annoying people I have ever met! You try and explain to them how it is possible for all activities can coexist but in my experience they are completely unwilling to even listen or consider alternatives most of the time. Truly frustrating!:face-icon-small-con

Can't agrre with you more. When shutting down Callaghan the closure border stretches right down to the sproat access leaving it on the verge of open . Funny how they only made the parking zone that maybe holds 5-10 trucks stacked in on a pull-out, for such a huge riding area. Then they have full time CO's patrolling the area for anyone who may park on the road because the parking spots are full. If the spots are full you have to park across the hwy at Calcheck and the CO hides and waits for you to safely rip across the hwy to give you a ticket. VANOC should have to provide a parking lot instead of paying these CO's for such a bull sheet cash grab ticketing people for crossing the hwy or towing trucks not off the olympic road enough.

Premium Features