• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If I extend track do I need to do any gearing or clutching

S
Jul 8, 2015
Hello, I am new to the forums so please be easy on me. I am looking to have a project sled this next winter and I am either looking for a old rev or an older xlt or indy (I can find my own, don't need people to try to sell me theirs). I will then put a new skid in and a longer track in. I can figure out how to do that much but my main question is do i need to do anything to my clutch or gearbox, I do not have any experience with them.

Thank you.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Sledhelp

the clutch guru's on this site will need a little more information on your plans before someone can answer that question. first off snowmobiles don't have gear boxes. they have what they call chain cases or on the new ones belt drives which consist of a top sprocket and a bottom sprocket and a chain/belt obviously. those are mainly used to control top speed of the sled.

How long a track are you planing on running?
How tall are the lugs on the track?
What type of snow do you normally ride in? light powder or wet heavy snow?
altitude you will ride at most of the time?
Your weight geared up?

those are just a few factors that add load or drag that you will have to compensate for by tuning your clutches. to give you the best people answer you will need to give guys on here more to work with. hope this helps

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
No need to start a new thread, great discussion already started here.

Keep it here.

S
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks guys, I like the suggestion on the rev but the old ones are just so expensive for the age and miles, I am still looking for sleds but I am pretty much set on an old xlt or Indy 500 because they are super cheap and indestructible. I will get back to you when I have a sled if I get one.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Careful, the Polaris XLTs were known to let the cranks go at 3000+ miles.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Careful, the Polaris XLTs were known to let the cranks go at 3000+ miles.

I had a '94 XLT that I long tracked and sold at 5800 miles. The guy rode it a couple years then sold to an Import/Export guy and it was sent to Russia...

I do believe the guys that piped the triple created a shorter fused engine though.

Premium Features