• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

idle problem

V
Jan 10, 2010
I have an 01 500 XC SP. whenever I start it up it will only run on one cylinder. when I get the rpm's up it runs on both cylinders and sounds great, it seems to me as if one of them is not getting enough fuel, not sure how to sync my carbs. or maybe its another problem. any help would be great thanks

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Miss

Check the plugs and see if they are wet. If so then it's not a fuel problem. More likely electrical. Check plugs and plug caps for loose connection. If screw top type plugs, make sure they are tight. Also make sure caps grip terminal tight. Check throttle adjustment and make sure it's not too loose and allowing the deadman switch to engauge. See if you can find another CDI to borrow and try that. No real way to test them other than swapping them out.
If plugs aren't wet then look and see if the idle jets are plugged.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
pilot jet is plugged. Its the smallest jet in the carb so the easiest to plug.

Also change your plugs, some will foul and only run at higher speeds(more electrical power)

Wet plug doesn't always mean too much fuel or no spark. When you run out of fuel, one cylinder will drop first and when you pull the plug it will be wet, but its out of fuel.

V
Jan 10, 2010
I cleaned the jetys and they are clean, and I have brand new plugs in it I just tested the spark and it seems fine, the plugs are wet though when I pull them.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Have you done a compression test to make sure you have good compression on both cylinders? You said that it "sounds" great when you get it hitting on both cylinders but how does it pull under a load? Doing a compression test is quick and easy. If you haven't verified that you have good compression, then you could potentially be wasting time looking at other things.

L

locknload

Dec 5, 2007
Sounds like you have a crank seal leaking, find out which side is not firing at idle and mist carb cleaner around the area of the seal and see if it starts to fire.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
120 psi is pretty close to walking wounded. New rings would be a good post christmas gift to your sled.

Premium Features