• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Now we have great trails in McCall, lets call a truce.

I

idaspud

Dec 22, 2007
Mtns of Idaho
This has to be the year Snowest Magazine rates McCall as the number one area in the West. We surely have set a record of machines and riders here during the best snow year we have had in a long time. I rode over 1100 miles on great snow and the great trails myself. Things finally came together, good snow year, fairly new groomers, new groomer sheds, enough money and someone to guide and coordinate the group in the high use area north of McCall, to get it done! Mr. Miller!

To answer why the club doesn’t plow the lots, the club has no permanent equipment to do it. The county is now responsible to plow the lots but the residential areas and roadways are given a higher priority, for example “in order to get the school buses thru”. They get to our lots when they can. I have sat at the county roadmasters desk as he answered call after call requesting plowing of someone’s road. The State has directed that the groomers are NOT to be used to plow the lots. “Anyone doing so will be fired.” The groomer operators out of the Wallace lot worked extensive overtime all winter, over 30% most of the time. They couldn’t plow the lots too after grooming 14 hours all night, even if we had the equipment. We had major storms almost every night for weeks. Some with 20” of snow.

The plowing is an area that definitely needs attention. We all know that and parking is definitely part of the grooming program. The State directed the club to keep the lot at Wallace from getting any smaller but it was already too late and the snow floor was in place. We rented a front-end loader and ran it with volunteers almost 100 hrs in 2 months to see what could be done on a trial basis. It will help. What we have done is request a grant from the state to buy a front-end loader to “help the county highway rigs” that are not designed to plow lots but mainly roads. We are waiting now to hear if we will get the money to buy this equipment. IF we get the grant from the State then we will integrate the new machine with the groomer operators, the volunteers, and the county road trucks into some kind of program to plow the lots in a much more efficient manor next winter. Different subject, but we need to think about what to do with the long-term parking and overnight rigs too. They keep the lot from being cleared efficiently by randomly parking in the middle of the lot. Maybe another smaller lot for them or a widened area along the road? Any ideas?

The operators and the club, the Chamber of Commerce, the City, County and the Forest Service all have the same goal, “to provide the best trails in the West”. Now the trails in the north county are being done very well and with the help of lot’s of people. One example, the Sheriff’s department “groomer call-ins report log” is sent to several of us so we can post the “grooming done” on the Internet. Many thanks to the officers there too. Many thanks to the City and the Chamber for funding help. We definitely need extra support to the State funds for things like the fuel costs and the operator overtime if we are to keep the trails in the prime shape we now have. The beneficial financial effect on our area by riders is immense and recognized.

It always takes two to argue, I know, I am married. Let’s spend our energies working “together” instead of disagreeing and lets get McCall to the number one place on Snowest. We need to have the best grooming, parking areas, reporting, maps, signage, and management of the program in the country. We are blessed with a great riding area. Let’s do it. Oh yes, we need the snow. And finally, how about a warming hut up by Sater meadows above Brundage reservoir? Okay Forest Service? Spud.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The lot was the problem this year. No doubt. The snow was stacked to the hight of the loader. And, had the lot been 10 times bigger, you'd still have filled it up.

The county, forest service, whoever, needs to widen the road leading up to the lot to three lanes. Then use the third lane as a parking lot in the winter. The 3 lanes need to be about a mile long, no overnight parking. Two sections of the lot needs to be reserved for overnighters. Right hand side gets plowed Thursday night, Left hand, Tuesday night, so your cars has to be moved those nights, sorry. Otherwise plow around them when you can. You don't need a front loader, you need big blower. That mile of road would be easy to clear fast and efficiently. The club needs authorization to plow the last mile of road.

Is it possible we could turn the road around the north end of the lake into a parking lot? It's not plowed anyways. Make it one way in the winter, exit out through the east of the lake.

just my thoughts.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Thanks for the informational post... I hope things get straightened out with parking. I'm just wondering... do you need a permit to work out of the parking lot or run a business? Is it county land or forest service?

Thanks, Scott

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
the county manages the lot from an ownership point of view.

Wade has the right idea IMO.

IMO Make the road the best place to park for day use (those that come and go in a single day.) Turn the parking lot into overnight, long term, and rental areas.

to make this work, we really need a few more turn around places on the road south of the parknig lot which are really easy to do.
then we need a snowmobile trail that paralels the road so you can unload 2 miles south of the parking lot, hop the trail, and head out.

I built the sled trail once, and the mccall club called the sheriff, road department, state, and county commissioners on me. It will be in for next year.

Sure I'll call a personal truce with you on two conditions.

Write two letters. Write one to the commissioners saying how great the trails were this year and what a great job Kevin did signed by every active board member.
The other letter to my wife apologising for the insult and discrimination your board did to her. Doesn't need to be in the paper or anything, just a personal letter to her signed by all the board members.

Have this done and in their hands by April 2, 2008, and I'll call it all good.

Mel, one thing about me. I don't lie. You get those two letters written, and I'll drop the rest.

Doug

Last edited:
I

idaspud

Dec 22, 2007
Mtns of Idaho
whose land?

Thanks for the informational post... I hope things get straightened out with parking. I'm just wondering... do you need a permit to work out of the parking lot or run a business? Is it county land or forest service?

Thanks, Scott

Finally got an answer from the state dept of lands today and the parking lot at Francie Wallace is leased by the county from the state and they do not require permits if the business has an office elsewhere and uses the lot for a trailhead as an example. Hope this answers your question.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
for the record, when a groomer broke down this year, cheapthrills loaned us a 2 up sled to run mechanic and driver in to fix it. for free.

when we wanted to train new drivers, cheapthrills loaned us a 2 up sled so 2 large fat guys didn't have to double up on my mod buggy. for free.

when we hired a new guy and i needed to get him into warren during the day to see how the airport is laid out, cheapthrills gave us sled, gas, and clothes for the day. for free.

when we wanted to thaw the groomer out, cheap thrills shut the generator off after 6 hours.

when i was struggling hooking up the drag 7 times by myself, cheapthrills came over and offered assistance.

when a widow's snowmobile was crushed in the parking lot, cheapthrills made her a raging deal on back country transportation to and from her home which was supposed to be a secret.

when we were hurting for money, cheapthrills donated 2500 bucks that i know of towards the grooming program.

when i got pissed and frustrated and mad, cheapthrills had the card in the mail to me and the mrs. with a thx and a pat on the back for trying hard.

when i turn at the corner in downtown mccall and admire the huge xmas tree all lit up i know cheapthrills donated the time and paid employees to make that happen.

when i think about the economic impact that cheapthrills has on mccall, i'm kind of in awe.

when i see someone go into the bathroom at the parking lot, i realize that the trash is hauled by cheapthrills, and wipe paper donated. and i think i should be doing more for the bathrooms.

think about all the people that get introduced to our great sport by cheap thrills.

finally, when a tree hugger comes into the parking lot and can't get out, i watch the cheapthrills folks push the car up the hill cuz sledders are good folks and we want to get along.

Cheapthrills makes my life better.

So, I appreciate your efforts in investigating the exact ownership issues of Francis Wallace Parking Lot.

And I hope in my lifetime I can do as much for the sport of snowmobiling as Cheapthrills has done already.

Doug Miller

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Doug... I'm not attacking Cheapthrills and I know Chuck does a lot for sledders in the area, I've helped him and he's helped me on issues. My issue is he use to pull all the trailers and sleds out every night and now there are trailers there all winter. In turn, now Tamarack is leaving sleds in the parking lot at night so they don't have to trailer them. So when the next rental company does it and then another type of business comes in, where does it stop? Plowing is already an issue with overnighters, cabin owners and rental companies and the lot use to be much bigger. Possibly when the parking lot gets figured out and an additional trail gets put in up Warren Wagon Road there will be additional parking set aside for rental and other businesses.

R
Sep 9, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Thanks Mel. I have been waiting for your reponse.

Thanks Cheap Thrills.

Miller, you sound like the poster boy for Cheap Thrills.:face-icon-small-hap
Wow that was a vision I don't need anytime soon.:D

Now how about a grooming report???

Premium Features