• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha - Shock Pressure Reference Thread

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Thought this would be a good thread to start. In the test ride reviews it was mentioned several times shock settings will be super critical for the Alpha. This will be a perfect spot to share settings and talk experiences.

I do not have anything specific to share yet. However when I checked pressures from the factory/dealer the rears where very close to what I used on my past sleds. I had to slightly increase both as I’m likely above the average rider weight. The fronts are where I saw a huge difference. Typically I run 60-65 in the front. But they came at a 100. At first I thought that is way to much but the more I thought about it, I’m curious if the fronts will need more pressure then past sleds due to the mono rail and overall the sled being easier to tip. Anyways look forward reading what everyone is finding throughout the season.

As with past shock pressure threads, give some stats; rider weight, track length, typical snow conditions, HP mods, etc....

Let it snow!!!

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What do you usually run the rear? Haven't check mine but something is way off. Can't even budge the suspension on mine. Like they were setting up shocks for a sand rail for the baha 1000. It is also not locked

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
165” track, 175lb rider, snow conditions were good, 5-6ft total with about a foot of fresh ontop and soft below that. I have about 100 miles on.

I’ll have to check the rear pressures but I took about 10 lbs out of both skid shocks from what cat had in there. You’ll want to use setting 2 on the trail, you’ll bottom out on moguls if you leave the adjustment at 1. 3 is almost a complete lockout and will rattle your teeth out regardless of what pressure you have. I felt that the limiter strap was right on point and that the rear really needed very little adjustment from the factory. Doesn’t wheelie but is playful. One thing that I did notice is that it gets up on the snow much much better than the gen 4 I was riding with. I could stop pointed up a hill and not get stuck when going again, but he would.

I think the front shocks were set up around 110 psi from cat. I dropped them down to 90 in my garage. I bumped it down in increments of 10 psi as we rode and the lower I went, the better it got. Things were decent in the 60-80 range but I felt that the front end really took a lot of input back from the terrain. If you were sidehilling over an old track, it would kick the skis enough that I didn’t like it. I realize this is a reality on any sled but I want to tune it out as much as possible for obvious reasons. The lower I went in pressure, the better this got and the easier it got to handle. I stopped at 50psi and this is likely what I’ll end up running (on setting 1 for powder riding and setting 2 front and rears for on the trail back). Setting 1 is was too soft at 50psi to ride on the trail and you will bottom out both the front and back on moguls. The adjustable dampening did exactly what I hoped it would - allowed me to maintain low psi and just click to 2 when conditions are rough.

50 psi allowed me to initiate turns with basically no effort, just turn your head and the sled does it. I found on the higher pressures that I was watching the skis and not the terrain in front of me. On 50 I was looking 200 meters ahead and the sled just predictably does what it’s supposed to on it’s own.

We tried some very steep sidehilling to compare and anyone who has concerns about the alpha washing out, you can get that out of your mind right now because it is not an issue at all.

Edit: My front skid shock is at 50psi, rear skid shock at 125psi.

Last edited:
E
Aug 28, 2017
Really interested in this thread, I haven't had my Alpha on the snow yet (no snow in the hills around here yet :(.....) Mine is a 154, dealer said it was set up for a 200lb rider, I'm about 175. Brought it home and checked the pressures in the front shocks. They were set at about 100psi, I lowered them to about 65 psi, made a huge difference in pulling the sled over on a flat surface. Obviously I need to ride and adjust, it needs to SNOW! Would be really interested in the rear shock settings that are working for people. I wish they would have included the I act system on the Alphas.

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
So is it the greatest thing since milk like I thought? Would like to hear thoughts on performance and ride

Do you mean the QS3’s or the monorail?

I was really happy with the QS3’s, the adjustable dampening feature is perfect and it really allows you to set the pressure and go, no messing around depending on terrain. You can make most of the adjustments you need with the dial.

As far as the alpha skid, I was initially expecting it to have some quirks on the trail and ride noticably different in some scenarios but that wasn’t the case at all. It just quietly does it’s thing in the background and you don’t really notice it. If you unknowingly hopped on an alpha and rode it on the trail up, most would never even know it wasn’t a traditional two rail sled.

In the deep snow, the turning radius is significantly reduced and most importantly it really holds an angle nicely. If you have the sled banked at 45 degrees, it maintains that predictably and without effort.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I was meaning the mono rail. I rode one last year and also told everyone if I blindfolded them they wouldn't know it was a single rail vs. 2 rail on the trail. I just didn't test it on the rest because of snow conditions so wasn't sure how quick or good it handled

J
Jan 7, 2016
Really interested in this thread, I haven't had my Alpha on the snow yet (no snow in the hills around here yet :(.....) Mine is a 154, dealer said it was set up for a 200lb rider, I'm about 175. Brought it home and checked the pressures in the front shocks. They were set at about 100psi, I lowered them to about 65 psi, made a huge difference in pulling the sled over on a flat surface. Obviously I need to ride and adjust, it needs to SNOW! Would be really interested in the rear shock settings that are working for people. I wish they would have included the I act system on the Alphas.

Careful on making it to easy to get on edge with low air pressure. That shock will bottom out real quick once on edge and all the sled weight is on that one shock, especially when you hit a bump or rut.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Just put over 100 miles on the Alpha this weekend in a variety of conditions.
Before riding I set it up the same as my 18 Mountain Cat. Im 175 w/o gear.

Recommend for up to 225lbs
Skiis 55-60psi
FT 45-50
RT 125-130

It worked great, if you want it to be real maneuverable off Trail, I wouldn't go above 60 PSI in the front skiis. Anything stiffer will require significantly more effort to maneuver off trail.

Bump skiis to setting 2 on the trail to add a little more stiffness and less body roll.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
For QS3, i like more 65-70 psi on skis shock and i weight 155lbs undressed so maybe a 180-185lbs ready to ride (i have a backpack)

Below 60psi in skis shock, the suspension bottoming too easy.

With a stiffer front ski shock, the front end are higher on snow and when you hit a bump on sidehill, it's easier to hold on side, with a lower pressure, the shock bottom and you lose the balance.

I cannot help you with rear suspension, i have a standard suspension on a 18' MC. But i ride with FTS at 35psi and RTS at 140-145psi when i ride on deep and steep. If not, on harder terrain, i like FTS at 45-50psi and RTS at 130-135psi

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Having not ridden an Alpha yet, from a theoretical perspective handling bumps should be the same as a regular mountain cat. That's assuming all the mounting points in the skid are the same. I would be interested to see if the bottom out bumper on the Alpha rail is higher up from the hyfax than a standard skid. Only reason I would think that is the increase to 10" wheels and keeping them out of the top of the tunnel.

From a handling perspective the skid on the Alpha isn't providing as much resistance to the sled rolling side to side (by design of course). That's probably going to make ski shock pressures more important to get the feeling the rider is looking for. That'll be pretty rider specific. I personally have liked higher spring rates on my front ends to hold the front end up when it's on one ski. Keeps snow drag down, avoids bottoming on impacts as others have mentioned, and I feel the sled is easier to balance once it's up. I also am a larger person and try to finesse the sled and am pretty good at making the sled do the work. Both things make the stiff front end less of a hindrance for me rolling side to side. A less experienced rider that needs to make corrections on the spot, or more aggressive style rider that likes to just rip the sled over might appreciate a slightly softer pressure setting to ease the tipping. The nice thing with the quick switch is if you want to try the higher air pressure you can back the compression damping off to make it more bump compliant or vise versa

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
When you guys have lowered the pressure from 100(Seems really high) to the 55-60 range are you losing ride height? Just sled sitting on ground and/or with rider on the sled? My 14 Cat always sat nose down and it gave the sled a weird stance and seemed to push a lot of snow on deep days. It would come up a little with higher shock pressure but it ruined the handling and really increased steering pressure.

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Is limiter strap tensioned when sled just standing with 75psi in fts, i have a hardcore with coil shocks feels soft front and center.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I adjusted my limiter to the tightest it could go and it made a world of difference! I run boost aswell and i have no more issues. rear shock on lockout for serious climbs.

How did this impact sidehilling?

Premium Features