• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 AXYS-MTN REACT™ 37" WIDE SUSPENSION, IFS SHOCK LENGTHS

N
Mar 7, 2018
I actually have a super similar story - Zbroz front end, standard eye to eye shocks! (except on an Axys) In my case I just ended up matching the ride height of an OEM by running more sag. In the end, I swapped the springs to a slightly heavier rate which let me run a whole bunch of sag but retain a stiffer overall rate. It worked. If I didn't make the change, yeah, heavy steering and more likely to trench. (this is why I wrote above for you to note the OEM bumper to ground number - its something you'll want to keep in mind)

In your case, there were a few small things you could have done to mitigate it. Its one reason of about a hundred I tell everyone to order scales off amazon to log their ski weight (specifically) when they get a setup they like...

No matter what, you can always go back to it! Static weight distribution is paramount to how a sled will ride.

Except for at full sag the a arm bound up on the spindles making it extra sketchy! No thanks.

Polaris has a team of full time engineers doing suspension design and calibration. I've bought, modified, and broken enough aftermarket stuff that I think I'll leave the properly functioning OEM components alone from now on.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd bet that some with nice aftermarket wide suspensions on their current AXYS will like them better than the REACT™ 37" and will swap out the whole setup.... like it's said above... personal preference.

To be honest... I really don't have fantasy's about riding super steep tree'd areas... I ride with some people that do... but I generally take the "B-Route"

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Except for at full sag the a arm bound up on the spindles making it extra sketchy! No thanks.

Polaris has a team of full time engineers doing suspension design and calibration. I think I'll leave it up to them for delivering the correct length shocks.

Axys did not bind on the spindles.

You are totally right btw - match OEM specs for most vanilla/predictable results!

Please, go read what I wrote. I did not say this is best. I'm trying to suggest to the masses opening your mind and playing with some of this is totally acceptable and if done correctly, can yield a sled the rides just fine, or even better depending on what you are looking for.

I totally forgot to mention, I did cut down some Assault shocks for my 155 Axys RMK. I LOVED that suspension. Ended up with less stroke by 1/2". Was sprung firmer. I was a better rider on that sled than any sled I've owned to date.

Currently trying a shorter FTS (barely) and longer stroke on my Gen4 for a variety of reasons. Again - just showing you can play with this stuff!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I actually have a super similar story - Zbroz front end, standard eye to eye shocks! (except on an Axys) In my case I just ended up matching the ride height of an OEM by running more sag. In the end, I swapped the springs to a slightly heavier rate which let me run a whole bunch of sag but retain a stiffer overall rate. It worked. If I didn't make the change, yeah, heavy steering and more likely to trench. (this is why I wrote above for you to note the OEM bumper to ground number - its something you'll want to keep in mind)

In your case, there were a few small things you could have done to mitigate it. Its one reason of about a hundred I tell everyone to order scales off amazon to log their ski weight (specifically) when they get a setup they like...

No matter what, you can always go back to it! Static weight distribution is paramount to how a sled will ride.

If you do what you are talking about you will NEVER get the weight distribution back to original and have the same handling/feel.

We live by the scales and measurements. What you are talking about doesn't work properly. Your are overlooking a bunch of factors. Good Luck!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
picture.php

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
MH, is it just the upper A-Arm that is the same as last year and the bottom and spindle are now forged or is it the entire getup?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If you do what you are talking about you will NEVER get the weight distribution back to original and have the same handling/feel.

We live by the scales and measurements. What you are talking about doesn't work properly. Your are overlooking a bunch of factors. Good Luck!!!

Lol.

I've learned to be weary of the "expert" who fails to articulate what they are saying objectively.

"a bunch of factors"...

Such as?

Explain how a longer eye to eye with more sag is somehow different on the scales than a shorter eye to eye with less sag? If I have 150 pounds per ski on the scales, this is objective. It does not care what the eye to eye is. It does not care what the stroke is.

Now I may reach the end of my travel more quickly. I may end up with an initial rate that is softer than I'd like. I may end up with a spring rate that is more aggressive than I want. These are all possible conclusions! But then again, with 150 pounds per ski, I may really like the setup...

Don't fear what you do not understand. Learn about it. Create a hypothesis and test it. Make an opinion based off these results (and others).

Saying "an engineer did it so it must be right" is an answer rooted in ideology. It is not rooted in critical thought and objective reason.

This doesn't make the engineer wrong. Not at all. But it also doesn't make his suggestion of eye to eye and stroke somehow mutually exclusive of any other setup.

Just look at what you guys do with clutching. Is it OEM spec? Nope. But it performs a task and does so in a way you guys tend to think is better than the polaris engineers figured out.

Does this make them wrong? Nope. But its cool you found something else that worked.

Suspension is similar. Understand what you are working with. Understand the other factors at play. Make your mind up from there. Don't be sheep.

I'm operating under the premise of taking quality of travel over quantity of travel. At least when everything is kept within a reasonable range.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
Lol.

I've learned to be weary of the "expert" who fails to articulate what they are saying objectively.

"a bunch of factors"...

Such as?

Explain how a longer eye to eye with more sag is somehow different on the scales than a shorter eye to eye with less sag? If I have 150 pounds per ski on the scales, this is objective. It does not care what the eye to eye is. It does not care what the stroke is.

Now I may reach the end of my travel more quickly. I may end up with an initial rate that is softer than I'd like. I may end up with a spring rate that is more aggressive than I want. These are all possible conclusions! But then again, with 150 pounds per ski, and I may really like the setup...

Don't fear what you do not understand. Learn about it. Create a hypothesis and test it. Make an opinion based off these results (and others).

Saying "an engineer did it so it must be right" is an answer rooted in ideology. It is not rooted in critical thought and objective reason.

This doesn't make the engineer wrong. Not at all. But it also doesn't make his suggestion of eye to eye and stroke somehow mutually exclusive of any other setup.

Just look at what you guys do with clutching. Is it OEM spec? Nope. But it performs a task and does so in a way you guys tend to think is better than the polaris engineers figured out.

Does this make them wrong? Nope. But its cool you found something else that worked.

Suspension is similar. Understand what you are working with. Understand the other factors at play. Make your mind up from there. Don't be sheep.

I'm operating under the premise of taking quality of travel over quantity of travel. At least when everything is kept within a reasonable range.

Winner!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 5/8" difference in length is no where near as critical as valving and spring rate!

Not even close, not even in the same discussion!

90% of riders won't even notice the difference from the shorter shock.

Neutral riding position is the only time there will be a noticable difference. (Sitting in the gararge or Driving down a smooth hiway). Add some preload to the front track shock and problem is solved.

The only issue from a longer shock would arise at full extension, tierods or other suspension part may rub. If not, ur good.

Alpha ......

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
so where can I send my "Keith Curtis" Fox RC2 shocks to have them shortened?
thanks

Premium Features