• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse Turbo VS MPI Stage 3 Supercharger

For the Nytro

OK OK, I know this is an old battle but I need input on this. The T-kit with put out more psi but does this make it better? Basically I’m looking at both and I have friends with the mcx T-kit I don’t like the lag and I have a buddy with the mpi stage 2 works really good. So would you plz help me put together a Pro/Con list.

My sled will have Van amberg or Diamond-S titanium tunnel (undecided) 174X15X2.5 Camoplast Extreme, Full Timber Suspension with fox shocks, Corillo or Powerlite Rods (undecided), J.E Pistons, New valve kit from outlaw, Jardine crotch rocket pipe and Simmons Flexi-Skis.

Titanium 375

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Ephraim, Utah
www.diamond-smfg.com
Ti Tunnelhttp://snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23735&stc=1&d=1219184628
DSC02408.jpghttp://snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23736&stc=1&d=1219184761
DSC02410.jpg

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Paul has proven with the Impulse Nytro kit that it will pretty much outrun anything out there. I've just never been around a MOUNTAIN set up supercharger that ran all that well although I've "heard" that there are a few out there. All I know is I've seen the Impulse Nytro's run and they rip and have wicked throttle response.

B
Oct 17, 2004
Kelowna B.C.
I live a few hours from the hill and no madder what the temp is when I get there I ride, I have unloaded my sled in -38C Basically what I’m saying is propane jells and I don’t want the headache.

Propane does not Gel....At -44F and below it is a liqued and does not support combustion because of the lack of vapour!!! If you are out riding in these temps you will have a lot more headaches to worry about then what the sled will put forth!!! Where abouts do you live/ride anyways??

BC.

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
i saw a few super chargers run last year that were well set up , they ran awsome from the bottom end to mid range then fell on there face on top . if you want to run big boost call impulse and ask about there race kit , its suppose to have the low end of the smaller turbo with the unreal top end of the larger turbo. If that other supercharger (not mpi)company ever puts its plan into production though they could rule the mountain hands down from what ive heard so far

Last edited:
B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Turbo no question!!!!!!!!

I have had a stage 2 kit on my Apex, switched to a Synergy Turbo, lost a lot of money and a lot...and i mean a lot of time wasted (2 seasons) dialing in something that never could out perform ANY turbo!
Mind you thats from a guy who wouldnt buy a paper clip from Mac at MPI!
Impulse would be my choice if i ever did another turbo

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
From a lag stand point, if your one and ONLY concern is lag.

SC..

A turbo will always have lag.. no matter how minimal it is. The difference exists, its just mechanics.

What will work best in the long run...well, I've seen plenty of dislike towards MPI on previous posts.

The Impulse kit works, I've seen lots of praise for it, and can actually praise it myself.

With a fuel controller [Impulse], the response can be dialed in much better than the "untuneable" MCXpress kits.
But, the MCX is simpler and probably has far less issues due to this as well.
And, not that the MCX is a pooch..its a blast to ride and rips once its spooled just the same.

Propane does not Gel....At -44F and below it is a liqued and does not support combustion because of the lack of vapour!!! If you are out riding in these temps you will have a lot more headaches to worry about then what the sled will put forth!!! Where abouts do you live/ride anyways??

BC.

Sorry, Propane in a bottle will stay in liquid form at - ??F/C (specific number unknown) but if you try to get that propane to flow out of the bottle in colder temps it will gel in small lines. I know this because I work with it everyday for the last 3 ½, we have electric blankets to keep the bottles warm in the winter. I live in Grande Prairie AB; I have to travel to get to the mountains. Winter is my busy season, so no madder what the temp is when I get there I ride.

B
Oct 17, 2004
Kelowna B.C.
Sorry, Propane in a bottle will stay in liquid form at - ??F/C (specific number unknown) but if you try to get that propane to flow out of the bottle in colder temps it will gel in small lines. I know this because I work with it everyday for the last 3 ½, we have electric blankets to keep the bottles warm in the winter. I live in Grande Prairie AB; I have to travel to get to the mountains. Winter is my busy season, so no madder what the temp is when I get there I ride.[/QUO

As long as it is in the bottle (under pressure) it will allways be a liqued...Are you trying to use the Vapour or the liqued at those temps you work in?? Anyways lets not argue the Characteristics of Propane.....Don't count out the performance of this kit untill you have the chance to throw a leg over a sled running it!!! They really do RIP!!!! These kits have been tested in some really cold weather and performed excellent.

BC.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Propane is stored at roughly 140 psi, at that pressure propane's freezing point is roughly -190.0 °C and has a boiling point -42° C

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Yup, full of hot air !!

I use to work in Natural Gas Processing Plants. We processed NGL's like propane and also used propane as refrigerants. Doesnt mean I know anything at all about Propane Snowmobiles tho !! All I know it is a cheaper, cleaner, more reliable, more readily available fuel source.

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Sounds like you know a thing or two about GAS!!!!

BC.

so anybody in canada going to be installing these kits or is it still just brad & val.
how do you find the throttle response with the propane seeing as you own one now & does the kit add allot of weight to the sled.i think the propane kit is very cool would love one just not sure if i want to invest so much off the start i hear the kit is pricey.
as for the choice between the impuse kit or the stage 3 super you wont notice the turbo lag almost not there with pauls kit & from what i have seen & my experience with him. spectacular customer service thats # 1 in my book super nice guy to deal with & he rides his stuff so he knows what you are talking about if there is a prob he will help you.as for the super too many probs not enough help.:beer;

Premium Features