• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino GPS???

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
I am thinking about getting a couple of these but want to hear some opinions about them. I played around with one the other day and it seemed pretty neat. I like the idea of being able to see where somebody else is at all the time.....like when hunting. But I have heard that they dont get great reception all the time from some people. Would you guys recomend them or would it be better to get a different GPS and a set of radios seperate?

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
I am thinking about getting a couple of these but want to hear some opinions about them. I played around with one the other day and it seemed pretty neat. I like the idea of being able to see where somebody else is at all the time.....like when hunting. But I have heard that they dont get great reception all the time from some people. Would you guys recomend them or would it be better to get a different GPS and a set of radios seperate?

THEY F-ING RULE! We use them ALL of the time for hunting. If you want to push a big area with a few hunters, you can pace eachother without saying a word. Just push the talk button and you know where everyone is.

When we ride and someone gets stuck you can pin point them in second even at night. You can down load local maps and track your ride/hunt very easy. I would buy the 130 in my opinion, I dont like recahargable units because someone always forgets to cahrge them. If you get lost for a day or two you can just replace the batteries when needed.

The rhino is the best backcountry tool yet.

R

Rattlin_Ram

Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands
I have a 130 and they work great! Distance on the radio is not as good as some of the higher quality FRS radios.... And the batteries can drain quick...

But I'd buy another in a heart beat! love being able to see where the others are!

B
Nov 26, 2007
UT
My brother and I use them when we ride all of the time now.
We got suck in whiteout one evening on top of a mountain with only two ways out. It was so bad we ride 20-30 feet and turn around and our tracks were gone. We used the bred crumb trail we left on the radio to back track and finds are way back out to the main road.
It’s like I’m naked with out it now. Well worth the money

S

Sled169

I personally would step up and go with the 530. They have about 2 1/2 times the reach of the 130, the color screen is very nice. The batteries last for several days on one charge. You can get a back up batttery pack for it that take AA batteries if you are concered about that. I have had the 120 and 130, they are tough on batteries.

G
Nov 11, 2006
The best place in the world
I personally would step up and go with the 530. They have about 2 1/2 times the reach of the 130, the color screen is very nice. The batteries last for several days on one charge. You can get a back up batttery pack for it that take AA batteries if you are concered about that. I have had the 120 and 130, they are tough on batteries.

^^^ I totaly agree..

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Can I agree too? Got a RAM mount to put it on the KLR for touring in the summer. Will see how it does.

Definitely with whatever you get, get a COLOR screen. They are so much easier to read, see and use.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
As a consumer product I think they're great. Two technologies combined quite well.

Keep in mind you'll need a GMRS license to use the high power legally.

I don't have one, used 'em a little before. I'd go with the big one (530 iirc) over teh other ones, gives you a few more features.

I'm going to put my GPS on a mount and wire it into sled power this summer... radio I use goes on my pack and the spkr/mic goes on the shoulder.... not on the sled. Personal preference I guess.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
As a consumer product I think they're great. Two technologies combined quite well.

Keep in mind you'll need a GMRS license to use the high power legally.

I don't have one, used 'em a little before. I'd go with the big one (530 iirc) over teh other ones, gives you a few more features.

I'm going to put my GPS on a mount and wire it into sled power this summer... radio I use goes on my pack and the spkr/mic goes on the shoulder.... not on the sled. Personal preference I guess.

The 530 with more range would be nice. I just prefer changable batteries rather than rechargable. The 130 goes through about a set a day, day and a half.

We all use the long range GMRS channels anyway without the liscense. Just dont put your name on the ID, no worries.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The 530 with more range would be nice. I just prefer changable batteries rather than rechargable. The 130 goes through about a set a day, day and a half.

We all use the long range GMRS channels anyway without the liscense. Just dont put your name on the ID, no worries.

Is it a special battery? My VS has a rechargeable 2200mAh battery but you can get an adapter that'll let you run it on six AAs.

Edit: And yes, it's only illegal if you get caught. But.... can't use anything fun like repeaters or digital modes w/out that ticket.... there's no test for it or anything, just go through the application and fork over some $, FCC issues a callsign good for 5yrs...

C
Nov 28, 2007
Make sure to test out the radios right when you get them (vs. out in the county). My microphone was not working from the get go, a buddy's is not working, and I know of a couple others. I would not trade mine for any other gps unit though. Customer service is excellent! They had me send in just the unit (no battery) and they just sent me a new unit in the box (now I have two batteries, well, two of everything! Sweeet!

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I have a 130 RINO, and I think it is an ok unit. It is hard to navigate through the interface, and it eats batteries like no tomorrow.
I know the newer 500 series are better with the lithium rechargeables, but if I would do it again, I would go with just a GPS, like a Garmin gps map or Magellan and have a separate radio on my body. You would get way more features, a better, bigger screen, and probably more radio range too with a separate 2-way.... at probably a lower cost.

I sometimes mount mine on the handlebars, but since AB_Summit's accident, where he got separated from his sled, I carry the unit on my person when I am in challenging terrain.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Got the 520HCx, still learning but a great unit, can leave it on all day for 3 rides (not using radio much) on a single charge. Not sure what difference between the 520 to 530 is tho, however this 520 does all I'll ever need it to, including maritime etc...
G.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Can you download these onto Google Earth 3D?

(Google Earth uses a KMZ file...)

Where is Sled Idaho for this one?

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Dont waste your time with the 130...get the 530. I didn't recharge for almost 1 month in the spring and rode 7 times without battery dying.

Like others have said...if it is truly a concern, get the extra battery pack that takes regular batteries (once you use the 530, though, you'll laugh that it was ever a concern).

As for Garmin customer service, my microphone stopped working toward the end of the season. My unit is over 2 years old and Garmin is replacing FREE OF CHARGE!! My kind of company!!

my2c

Premium Features