• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's your opinion on the '08 Dragon 800 engines?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Now that people have some miles on the new 08 Dragon 800's, what's you overall opinion on them? Did they get the bog issue figured out?

How's the fuel mileage compared to the '07 Dragon 700's?

Is the stock clutching close?

J
Mar 7, 2008
I can tell u this, if a D8 gets worse mileage than my shiny new D7 i would go broke trying to put fuel in it for a weekend.

O
I have 900 miles on my D8 and it has been refalshed. The bog is gone the power is good. The fuel mileage is no better or worse than any of the sleds that I ride with. M 1000 s XP s RMK 800 s. Overall I am very happy with the sled :D

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I have 900 miles on my D8 and it has been refalshed. The bog is gone the power is good. The fuel mileage is no better or worse than any of the sleds that I ride with. M 1000 s XP s RMK 800 s. Overall I am very happy with the sled :D

How did they make the bog go away???? Mine's been reflashed twice and still runs crappy as ever in the midrange on the trail.(love it in the hills though)

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Well my 800 has been great....it has run flawlessly since I got it and i now have about 1000 miles on it. I am totaly impressed with what the power of the sled will do. I run the carls clutch set up and do see a little sacrifice in the top end but it runs so well thru the bottom end thru the mid range that all i can do is hang on and it takes me where i want to go (and then some). The power and handling of this sled is just great.:D:D:D:D

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I can tell u this, if a D8 gets worse mileage than my shiny new D7 i would go broke trying to put fuel in it for a weekend.

I ride a '07 RMK with the Carls 660 kit. I get about 55-60 miles per tank at the most, no matter if its banging the trails or playing in the back country. My friend has '07 Dragon 700, he had a 1/3 tank fuel left while I already burned through my tank plus the putting 2 extra gallons in. It would be nice to ride a sled that gets equal mileage to the other sleds in the group. I guess its not that big of a deal, just thought I would ask.

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with the HP in the 800 engine.

Wife rides a 08 700 RMK and gets better mileage than my D8 but I outweigh her by 100 + lbs. 8 - 10 mpg, deep powder 7 - 8 mpg. Wondered why I used less oil than her sled; maybe that is why a piston seized...waiting to hear from dealer who is waiting to hear from Polaris who is waiting to hear from?....and so on and so on, hopefully will still get to ride it more this season by the time they figure it out. Loved the sled until last Sunday.........:confused:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Jets

I ride a '07 RMK with the Carls 660 kit. I get about 55-60 miles per tank at the most, no matter if its banging the trails or playing in the back country. My friend has '07 Dragon 700, he had a 1/3 tank fuel left while I already burned through my tank plus the putting 2 extra gallons in. It would be nice to ride a sled that gets equal mileage to the other sleds in the group. I guess its not that big of a deal, just thought I would ask.

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with the HP in the 800 engine.

Jonce, what elevation are you at?? and what main jets are you running??

What e-clip setting is your needle on??

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Premix

Wife rides a 08 700 RMK and gets better mileage than my D8 but I outweigh her by 100 + lbs. 8 - 10 mpg, deep powder 7 - 8 mpg. Wondered why I used less oil than her sled; maybe that is why a piston seized...waiting to hear from dealer who is waiting to hear from Polaris who is waiting to hear from?....and so on and so on, hopefully will still get to ride it more this season by the time they figure it out. Loved the sled until last Sunday.........:confused:

Intersting. For 20 plus years I have been running premix along with the Oil injection system.

Buy cheap oil and run alot of it. Throw your Polaris gold in the drain oil barrel.

You already said it all, you use more fuel and less oil then hers...............

Do you actually think the dealer is going to know what happened???

You answered your own question.

Turn the pump up or premix it.

Remember, premix leans out the fuel mixture. So you must deside is it rich enough for premix............. If its on the edge, Turn the pump up.

Dan

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Jonce, what elevation are you at?? and what main jets are you running??

What e-clip setting is your needle on??

Dan

Hi Dan, glad to see you back on here.

I am getting typically the same mileage here in MN and MI as well as out in MT. I have been using Carls recommended setups - I believe its 420's and needle on #3. I will have to look at my notes.

I'm thinking about going with the new '09 RMK 800 next year. I've heard the CFI is a new setup, one less thing to touch.

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
Oil usage, how much?

Just a question, no where in any polaris master repair manual(I have 4 of them in my shop) does it tell you how much oil should your engine use. I try to have my oil pumps set to use 1qt to 10 gallons of fuel. I know a friend of mine that is using 1 qt to about 220 miles and he gets about 10-12 mpg. I wonder some times if these oil pumps are even set up correctly. I know two weeks ago before we went out to togwotee we checked a oil pump on a 03 vertical escape that my friend had used that belonged to someone else and the oil pump was set way low. Some times I think that these sleds are not properly PDI'ed at the dealer. Seems like a lot of people are happy when there sled doesn't use much oil, have't figured out that thinking yet. I try to make sure my engines use plenty of oil. Sorry this question got so long, so, how much oil should it use per gallon or per 10 gallons? The other point to all this is maybe just maybe these engines are not getting enough of any kind of oil? Sorry if this got off track.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
I have just over 1000 miles on my D8 now. It didn't run correctly from the day I picked it up and finally I got a Test flash which helped a lot. With the test flash my mid range power was much better and Im sure that was do in part to the fact that it had no power between 7100rpms and 7600rpms prior to this flash. I didn’t notice to much improvement in the top end but I don’t spend much time there. My milage is respectable and better than all my other sled except maybe the 99 700 rmk I had (one of the best running sleds I every setup, consistently got over 10mpg). Before the test flash it was about like my modified 03 vertical escapeon milage and after the flash I have seen over 10.5mpg on a nice family ride and nothing under 8.8 mpg on some of the hardest riding I have done. I would have gotten closer to 7 mpg on my old sleds riding in this same manor. So that’s about 20 percent better fuel milage than the old 800 engine, No complaints here.

Oil--I have used only about 4.5 quarts of oil to go 1045 miles. At 9.5 mpg that a 98:1 ratio. It seems like I am using no oil at all in this sled compared to all the other sleds I have owned, but maybe 100:1 average is reasonable in these new sleds. I have mentioned to my service manager that I am using very little oil and he said that the way they are set up to run and it scares him also. A Skidoo riding friend of mine is telling me the sled his wifle is buying for next yr. (skidoo 600) is claming that you can ride for a full season with out having to add oil, so this seems to be an industry direction.

Back to the motor. I still had a minor bog after the test flash that wasn't resolved so my dealer flashed my sled with the lastest production flash. I haven't had much riding time with this new flash to determine if it removed the minor bog or to determine how i feel it performs but my first thoughts are that it may be a bit lean right off idle, resulting in a little performance loss in the low 6000 rmp range, but I only have bout 75 miles on this flash and I haven't developed a good feel for it.

Over all I like the feel of the motor. I think it still needs a little tuning and I hope Polaris continues to work on the fuel/timing map for this motor to give it a more consistent power curve. It seems very strong at time and then it is off a little,--- clutching? But I truly think if a person had a number of dyno runs on this motor you would see a number of dips and the curve would not be as smooth as the carbureted sleds of the past. Just a little more work is needed. It's these little deviations and clutching that makes two very similar sleds with similar HP numbers perform way different in the field.

I like it and think it will prove to be a good engine.

S

sortastock

May 26, 2003
De Pere, WI
Oil--I have used only about 4.5 quarts of oil to go 1045 miles. At 9.5 mpg that a 98:1 ratio. It seems like I am using no oil at all in this sled compared to all the other sleds I have owned, but maybe 100:1 average is reasonable in these new sleds. I have mentioned to my service manager that I am using very little oil and he said that the way they are set up to run and it scares him also. A Skidoo riding friend of mine is telling me the sled his wifle is buying for next yr. (skidoo 600) is claming that you can ride for a full season with out having to add oil, so this seems to be an industry direction.

That's the new DIRECT INJECTION motor skidoo is running. Different ball game with oil consumption. But man, 100:1 is a little scary

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Its scary for me and it's scary for my dealer, but they didn't change it said it was set up correctly.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
My D8 never has had anything even closely resembling a bog. It has the SLP pipe and can, V-Force reeds, SLP Airbox mods, Carl's clutching, venting etc. I tried out a 19 tooth sprocket last weekend. I frankly could not tell much difference from the stock gearing. No belt problems with this sled either. I am very happy with the performance so far. I have about 850 miles on the sled. It uses very little oil like others mentioned above. I also compared my fuel consumption to my 07 RMK 600 (SLP pipe, can and airbox mods) and the D8 actually uses a little bit less fuel on average than the 600. That did not surprise me too much since the 600 is a carburetor motor and the D8 has fuel injection. I assumed that it would be more efficient.

One of my friends who rides a 2008 Ski Doo XP told me that he wishes that he had my motor and clutches in his chassis. He loves the way his XP handles. I personally like the handling of the D8 but some people don't I guess.

I also have Fox Floats on the front and Zero Pros on the rear and I am running more aggressive carbides on the skis.

Premium Features