• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who wares shin / knee protection and What?

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
I was out riding the other day and....well.... came a little disconnected ( all but the hands) with my sled. In an effort to "reconnect" I grabbed some throttle and got my feet pointed back in the right direction. Only problem was I missed a perfect remount by a few feet and clipped my right knee on the left running board while still on the throttle.:eek: . (Wish I had a pic to post) I am sure I am the only one to have done this move..:D Not.... Over all not to bad and finished the day out OK. Next few days were a bit on the stiff side and the scab and bruise should be gone in a week or so. It got me thinking about shin guards, I have some Fox Knee/shin guards I use for dirt riding but think they might be a bit much and also might make one knee on the seat a bit awkward ???. Of course a good rap to the knee could do much worse. Mostly all mountain riding.
What have you found to be the best comfort and functionality?? Some pants with a pad mounted in them might be the ticket...

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
I wouldn't ride without knee/shin guards. They have saved me from considerable pain on numerous occasions. I used to use some Fly combo knee/shin guards for dirtbike riding and now I use my custom DonJoy knee braces with the optional knee/shin guards attached to them.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills
I also became (disconnected) from my sled. And my shin hit the rack on the back of the sled and bent it. The rack was made out of 1/4 by 1 inch alum. Had a bump on my shin but not bad.

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
I was out riding the other day and....well.... came a little disconnected ( all but the hands) with my sled. In an effort to "reconnect" I grabbed some throttle and got my feet pointed back in the right direction. Only problem was I missed a perfect remount by a few feet and clipped my right knee on the left running board while still on the throttle.:eek: . (Wish I had a pic to post) I am sure I am the only one to have done this move..:D Not.... Over all not to bad and finished the day out OK. Next few days were a bit on the stiff side and the scab and bruise should be gone in a week or so. It got me thinking about shin guards, I have some Fox Knee/shin guards I use for dirt riding but think they might be a bit much and also might make one knee on the seat a bit awkward ???. Of course a good rap to the knee could do much worse. Mostly all mountain riding.
What have you found to be the best comfort and functionality?? Some pants with a pad mounted in them might be the ticket...

OMG, that was like reliving a nightmare.... I did the exact same thing last year during our CO Snowest Forum Ride, but I ended up in the ER with a deep laceration. Had a cut that was an L shape that was about 2"x2" and you could see the knee cap.... Royally sucked....

I got a pair of Klim pants that should help tremendously, as well, i am looking into some knee/shin guards...

Glad urs wasn't as extreme....

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
I've got em now!

Last year I found a hidden creek....and by the time I I was able to react it was too late, had some nice purple colors on my knee. Then I thought about getting some knee guards but didn't. One of first couple rides I was helping our group get past a downed tree...still can't figure out how it happened but a tree branch swung up and got my knee. After that ride I had enough and wear them all of the time. I actually just stole my sons old knee pads...they have worked out great for me :D

F
Nov 26, 2007
Fox makes a combo knee/shin guard that sells for about 15.00 dollars. I wouldn't ride without them. Plus they give you a little warmth too.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
As the stupid ad says....Just Do It!!. asterisk is the best and a little spendy$$. Thor makes a set with some beef to 'em. Get some with all the support and protection you can afford!! Yes I have lots of experience on the subject..A friggin expert some would say...it only takes a second and your ridin a 2004 or later....couch watchin' Montel marathons.

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
Thanks for the responce
Nothing like that few seconds after the big bang where you do the quick self acessment and either feel some releaf through the pain that its not that bad, or the O Sh!# this is gona cost me this time...
Verticaledge69 how long did it take to heal up???

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'm considering some after this weekend.... moving teh handlebars back about 6" would help tremendously... every time I kicked my knee up on the seat i ended up hitting hte gas cap :\

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I have a pair of the fox and also fly shin/knee gaurds, both are about the same quality and between 15-20 bucks. I dont ride with out them, just like I dont ride without my tekvest. Sometimes they will shift on you if your riding with your knee on the seat, but eventually you will adjust them back without even noticing.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
You mean like this? I hate the idea but I am going to get some after last weekend.

100_0534.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Fox shin guards. HARD plastic protects WAY better than KLIM foam.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Devil don't you have some for bikes?

don't really on KLIM, just spend the 20 bucks at the local moto shop and buy some fox/thor or whoever knee and shin gaurds. they work, I know after I put a knee sized dent into the shroud on my bike this summer and had no idea how or when I did it. (Turns out a made a knee sandwhich with bike and tree trunk and ground.)

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
Those little foam pads won't do jack, at the very least wear MX knee/shin guards. I used to wear HRP's.

I tweaked my knee in a dismount last season and was about >< that close to having knee surgury. Since that little expirence I know wear EVS Vision knee BRACES. The $200/pair price tag was hard to swallow, but it was a lot more appealing than the thought of surgury.

Premium Features