• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain can preference.

B
Oct 2, 2017
Which company do you think makes highest quality mountain can? MBRP, GGB, Bikeman, SLP, Diamond, etc. Looking for good fit, sound, no h.p. loss. For 850 Patriot in Pro RMK. Thanks.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
To specifically ask about the 850 and ask about fit, finish and performance for an 850, that is really up in the air at this point, as new stuff is just now rolling out. Based on previous products for other machines like the Axys 800, SLP is top notch, but honestly so are several of the companies you listed.

SLP's new competition series is really nice and the fit and finish on that one is great. Our local dealer has some SLP stuff in for the 850 and I had the opportunity to look them over but again, performance reviews comes with seat time.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
not sure if SLP changed their design for the 850
i really like their stuff but last years 800 can
(like the quieter version now i guess)
will melt your side panel if you get on its side when hot
like stuck or whatever :censored:

maybe adding extra extra melt protection would do it?
but it's the shape of the upper outer corner that contacts
(i added protection and have all stock foam still on side panel)
needless to say i won't get a can like that again

ok long post but what i'm saying is slp is out for me unless they changed that design
i don't believe in loud cans (bad press)

so my vote is DiamondS super light good sound
more expensive though

SLP

Premium Member
We are offering 3 options for lightweight silencers on the 850 Polaris this year and all of them are available immediately:

Standard Lightweight Silencer - Saves 7.7 pounds and has the same SLP exhaust note you have known for years.

PicnicR Lightweight Silencer - Saves 7.1 pounds. Is the same body as above, but also uses a bracket for direct install of a muffpot or WPS trail chef.

Competition Series Ultra-Lite Silencer - Saves 9.3 pounds and has a more aggressive exhaust sound at full throttle.

The main reason to using one of these silencers with the stock pipe is for weight savings, but they also show a small power improvement. We have tested them on the dyno and the snow. They and are a little faster in the field compared to the stock silencer. For the real power gains the single pipe or twin pipes will be the way to go. Each silencer is available in black satin ceramic or silver polish ceramic coating.

Our intention is to make all of these silencers compatible with the SLP Single Pipe. If possible we will make it compatible, but as single pipe is still under development, we can't guarantee it will be at this point. They will not fit with the twin pipes, as the twin pipes will use individual glass-pack style silencers.

I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what they each look like.

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP

09-329.gif 09-327.gif 09-322 new.jpg

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I've had good luck with SLP in the past and will be doing the SLP can on my 850 this year. How well does the cooker work on their can with the integrated mount?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Please don't put on some obnoxious Can, I've ran numerous before and the only ones that are acceptable sound wise are the SLP or Diamond S.

I had a BMP Mountain can, it was horrible, I took it off after 1 day it was so annoying. Mandatory earplug riding. gross rattly sound, same with the GGB mtn cans i've been around.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I think they are all acceptable to a certain degree. I prefer louder as self awareness is better and my location is more defined.. I agree tho that someone who is just ringing the piss outta a loud can would be annoying.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think they are all acceptable to a certain degree. I prefer louder as self awareness is better and my location is more defined.. I agree tho that someone who is just ringing the piss outta a loud can would be annoying.
Quality radios are half the price of a cheap mtn can. That excuse can go out the window now.

I stopped helping people get unstuck with loud ass cans. Want a ski pull? Sorry, I would like to be able to hear in the future. Ill help pack things out but thats it. Once that sled starts I don't want to be anywhere near them.

I love a crisp clean exhaust note, but a non baffled, straight through glasspack style can is just NOT good. It rarely performs better then stock and is just flat out annoying for everyone else. Like the SLP can's i've been around have a really nice exhaust note, definitely louder then stock but really clean sounding, not just rattle your brain loud.

We are offering 3 options for lightweight silencers on the 850 Polaris this year and all of them are available immediately:

Standard Lightweight Silencer - Saves 7.7 pounds and has the same SLP exhaust note you have known for years.

PicnicR Lightweight Silencer - Saves 7.1 pounds. Is the same body as above, but also uses a bracket for direct install of a muffpot or WPS trail chef.

Competition Series Ultra-Lite Silencer - Saves 9.3 pounds and has a more aggressive exhaust sound at full throttle.

The main reason to using one of these silencers with the stock pipe is for weight savings, but they also show a small power improvement. We have tested them on the dyno and the snow. They and are a little faster in the field compared to the stock silencer. For the real power gains the single pipe or twin pipes will be the way to go. Each silencer is available in black satin ceramic or silver polish ceramic coating.

Our intention is to make all of these silencers compatible with the SLP Single Pipe. If possible we will make it compatible, but as single pipe is still under development, we can't guarantee it will be at this point. They will not fit with the twin pipes, as the twin pipes will use individual glass-pack style silencers.

I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what they each look like.

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP

Have you fixed the muff pot mount from coming loose? From what I am hearing there rivets vibrate and fall out,.. some are have to add a brace or use stainless bolts.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Quality radios are half the price of a cheap mtn can. That excuse can go out the window now.

I stopped helping people get unstuck with loud ass cans. Want a ski pull? Sorry, I would like to be able to hear in the future. Ill help pack things out but thats it. Once that sled starts I don't want to be anywhere near them.

I love a crisp clean exhaust note, but a non baffled, straight through glasspack style can is just NOT good. It rarely performs better then stock and is just flat out annoying for everyone else. Like the SLP can's i've been around have a really nice exhaust note, definitely louder then stock but really clean sounding, not just rattle your brain loud.

Note to self, don’t ride with you. Quality ear muffs are a 1/16th of the price of a can, so that excuse can go out the window as well. Too each their own tho man. If u use the right gear, getting un stuck shouldnt take the person wrapping out the motor anyway.

You may have more sensitive ears then I do tho so just tossing out options and ideas. Not mad at ya. Lol

SLP

Premium Member
Have you fixed the muff pot mount from coming loose? From what I am hearing there rivets vibrate and fall out,.. some are have to add a brace or use stainless bolts.

Yes, we have updated the way the cooker is held to the bracket. It is now sprung in place rather than riveted. The install literally takes minutes now, and the springs allow for a little movement, preventing the fasteners from coming loose. (See attached pic)

We ran this setup last season and also sent one with Chris Burandt to Chile through the summer. No problems at all and cooks perfectly.

new style 2.jpg

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The GGB Trail can ( Non Noisy ) is a very solid fit and very well thought out product for the 850.
They are just finishing the final stages for the mountain and trail cans.
Available 3rd week in November.

GGB is testing/and in development of a new Quiet can. This one is completely different than GGB cans in the recent past.

I have not heard the new Mountain can yet on the 850 to see if it's a barker or not....

Last edited:
Premium Features