• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speed sensor

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I have an '06 M5 and the speedometer quit working. As it was just the speedometer I thought it might be the sensor on the tunnel side of the diamond drive. When I removed it one of the wires had rubbed through and was grounding on the chassis. I repaired the wire but it still does not work. The sensor fits in a hole on the back outside of the d-drive abd is held in place with a plastic pin. I "think" that the sensor is sensitive to its orientation in the hole but I do not remember what that is. The sensor barrel has one flat side. Is that the side that is supposed to face the plastic pin or does it not make any difference?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I would plan on replacing the sensor. I have heard the sensor is a common fail item. I had to replace mine at just over 2200 miles. My 05 M7 and your 06 M5 uses the same sensor. OEM sensor 51 dollars on dirt cheap snowmobile parts. I do not recall having to orient the sensor, just remove the diamond drive and replace the sensor. Be careful you do not pinch the wires when you reinstall the diamond drive.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sensor

Thanks D.
I was thinking that was probably the issue. Seems like a lot of $$ for what it is but $51 is as cheap as I have seen them. Thanks for the lead on the part.

Premium Features