• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or save money and buy a G4?

Turbo or G4

• Turbo T3

Votes: 36 23.2%
  • Buy G4

Votes: 82 52.9%
  • Ride a camel

Votes: 37 23.9%

• Total voters

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
I'm really torn what to do. So I just bought this 16 T3 174 and if I sell it now I'm gonna take a hard loss. Turbo it and enjoy for a couple years or cut my losses and get the new model?

Any current turbo owners tried the new G4 and have an opinion with more insight?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would buy a gen4. My buddy supercharged a pro in 15 and they came out with the axys in 16. The axys is a way better sled but after sticking ten grand in his pro, well, he is married to it. His sled is still awesome but it is still no axys. It is going to be the same thing for you with the xm. The new doo is going to go through the snow so much better. It will be the same difference over the xm as the axys is over the pro which is huge. Hands down gen 4.

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Why not just ride yours for a year while they work out the bugs on the new chassis/motor?
Don't kid yourself there will be issues with the new sled, I've already heard of the limp mode and engine fade.

Or just get the new one and keep your 16 lol

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I'd add a 3.2 track to yours. That should make up for any horse power gain. The 165" track is an unknown quantity.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
A buddy of mine tried the 3.2 on his t3 and wasn't impressed. For those that have done mod sleds for a lot of years you know how it is, after a few years, when the factory kicks a stock sled out that will run with your old mod sled. I have a buddy with an 860 and my bet is the stock sled wins. You have 2 good choices. Turbo or gen 4. Just a matter of what you are willing to spend or lose. I will say, if you watch my buddies supercharger, it struggles more in the trees. I am way out horsepowered but the older chassis doesn't go through the snow as good. I am not saying I always win but it equalizes things a little and the gen 4 will do the same to a turboed xm. I know he wishes he had an axys with boost instead.

Last edited:

nos800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Buy a Gen 4 and Turbo it!! The turbo system will likely fit the new chassis for a few years. I was going to do the same thing as you, but after talking to a fellow snowester he made me realize that I would be putting money into old technology. Which is fine. It may cost you $2000 to trade now, but what happens when they introduce a longer sled next year? May cost $4-6000 to trade. I guess it depends how good your dealer is.

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
Buy a Gen 4 and Turbo it!! The turbo system will likely fit the new chassis for a few years. I was going to do the same thing as you, but after talking to a fellow snowester he made me realize that I would be putting money into old technology. Which is fine. It may cost you $2000 to trade now, but what happens when they introduce a longer sled next year? May cost $4-6000 to trade. I guess it depends how good your dealer is.

cause I'm from BC I pay through the nose. After taxes I paid mid 17 grand. I figure i'll get 10-12 for trade in now....5-7grand hit. Thanks to Alberta oil hitting rock bottom no one is buying jack, my Nytro hasn't got a single call from anything west of Saskatchewan.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I'm demoing a Gen 4 next week and I will let you know. I am on the same page as you. '16 174 T3 & Turbo Nytro.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Turboed XM

You are going to be able to turbo T3's/XM's for very little money as the existing kits likely wont convert to the Rev
Gen4. The T3 is a wicked machine with boost.

Turbo kits seem to hit bottom around 2k. I would think you could get an XM kit for $2000 to $2500 and run it for a year and get almost what you have into it back out of it.

That is pretty cheap power!

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
You are going to be able to turbo T3's/XM's for very little money as the existing kits likely wont convert to the Rev
Gen4. The T3 is a wicked machine with boost.

Turbo kits seem to hit bottom around 2k. I would think you could get an XM kit for $2000 to $2500 and run it for a year and get almost what you have into it back out of it.

That is pretty cheap power!

yeah right now I can get an aerocharger kit with all the clutching and everything for $3500cdn. And it came off a 174 so I wouldn't even have to tune it, or at least it would be a minor adjustment.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Why not just ride yours for a year while they work out the bugs on the new chassis/motor?
Don't kid yourself there will be issues with the new sled, I've already heard of the limp mode and engine fade.

Or just get the new one and keep your 16 lol

This is good advise:face-icon-small-coo

Played the Mod Sled game for a lot of years and spent a boat load of money doing it. It was fun and learned a lot but it was not for the faint of heart or ANYONE not willing to constantly work on their sled to keep it running. The harder you push it the more maintenance it requires......just a fact. And now that the new sleds are so good it makes little sense to play the mod sled game.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Used a buddy's t3 174 back in 15 and it was noticalbe quickly that motor needed a boost in power.. I could see the G4 getting the hp it needs when they come out with the 174, and then there is always the BB for twenty more

Rode a buddys 872 a few weeks back and it was ok on the 174 in the trees, but once comming off a turbo sled that works, it's just no comparison for what we mostly do.. Hard to go backwards

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
So after riding it, what are YOU gonna do?

I am holding off until the 175 comes out. Don't get me wrong, I think the 850 is awesome and a huge improvement. I would have bought one if it came in a 175 this year. I need the floatation because I'm heavy. (350-375lbs ready to ride)

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
I'm really torn what to do. So I just bought this 16 T3 174 and if I sell it now I'm gonna take a hard loss. Turbo it and enjoy for a couple years or cut my losses and get the new model?

Any current turbo owners tried the new G4 and have an opinion with more insight?

I have a t3 174 also and I really like it for how I ride. I'm used to having big power but everyone seems to be having plenty of fun on stockers this year except at those certain times when you want to hit something then your wishing you had 300+Hp. A 4 year warranty and no wrenching and no problems sure is cool tho too especially when your beating up on everything made that is stock for stock. I rode the 850 and I honestly expected a lot more from it, I was actually disappointed. It has better bottom end/mid range feel to the motor to me and felt like it climbed faster or easier than my sled but it was neck and neck everytime we drag raced it up a hill. I didn't like riding it down the road, it felt like a sled that would benefit the shorter guys. It is balanced really well but it has grates for getting your feet even more forward and that didn't feel even from side to side. I honestly felt like when I was standing on it looking down I was on a 2016 cat. It did not feel like a game changer to me and I highly doubt it's going to do much more for me stock on the deep days when you want to climb more. No big bore is going to help this problem but A Turbo on a t3 will tho but then your back to messing with stuff working on it most likely, blowing out reeds, breaking pipes, cracking air boxes, I could go on but that's the delima. I can Guarantee this tho after seeing what happens the last 20 years of sleds coming out, the 850 will have drastic changes done to it for 2018.

Premium Features