• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bed liners

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Sorry if this has been hashed out before. I did a search and didn't see any topics. Lets hear some opinions from the truck experts. Spray in liner, no liner, drop in plastic, old carpet from from living room ect et al.

Thanks, Brian

hockeyb4

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Liners

Well for me the best bet is Line-X they are the best I have found. I see alot of bedliners and currently have a rhino liner in my current truck and am not impressed it came with the truck so I didn't get a choice.

the Line x is a 2 component system that is sprayed on hot and as soon as it cools it is ready to use and is tough as nails. The rhino liner is also a 2 component system as far as I know but it requires a day or so to cure out then it is still soft so it rips and tears easily.

I guess it all depends on what your using it for too.

Dec 6, 2007
Mayer, MN
Herculiner

I went and bought the Herculiner at Menards for a truck once and it seemed to work very well. I purchased a few extra cans to make the floor of the bed and tailgate extra thick. Used a 3.5" angle grinder with a wire wheel and took all the paint off to the bare metal then used acitone for a final prep. Saved some $$$ and carbides dont tear it up as easy as some of the commerical companys spay on liners do. Just my $.02

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I've had a few different spray-ins and would say they Line-x worked the best for all-around toughness. Sled carbides are the biggest test and eventually will get through anything, but the Line-x seemed to do well.

Drop-ins are not as fancy, but they definitely work better for sleds and easy cleanup. I've had a few of those too and never had an issue other than it doesn't look/fit as nice as the spray.

If I were to buy one again, I'd get the spray-in because I like the non-slip aspect for truck camper/dirtbike season, and because I have a sled deck.

If my main use was sleds in/out with no deck....drop in all the way.

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I haven't pulled the trigger for my new truck yet, but on my 2002 I had a Line-X and it held up great. My only regret was not going over the rails with it.

I don't have any experience with the other liners, but when I do my new truck I won't be shopping around - it will be going straight to Line-X and I will go over the rails this time.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I'm no expert and didn't sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I've always driven a pickup and have had no liners and plastic liners.

I've got an OEM plastic liner now, just because it came with the truck. Otherwise I'd have a spray-in, probably Line-X because that may be the only liner place near here.

Spray-in keeps your stock tie down hooks usable and accessible. Doesn't get dirt under it. Things don't slide around as much. The top of your rails can be protected and work well for protection when mounting a topper or bed cover.

Also, plastic liners still rub thru the paint in various spots. Not a big deal I suppose if you keep using the liner because you'll just end up with some shiny spots.

Rubber drop-in would be ok if you don't haul much and you don't mind a few scratches and dings where the rubber isn't. The rubber tailgate piece would be a lot easier on your knees.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm on my 3rd truck in 10 years with a spray in liner. They hold up well and once cleaned hold resale value pretty well. I've had drop-in liners, and they are too slick for my taste.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Depends what you're looking for.
Spray in for trucks that get used, but not abused (don't care what kind of spray in it is, if it's a heavy const truck there are things that will gouge/slice the best spray in) and the bed is exposed so you want a decent look and rust protection.

Plastic bedliner if you want to preserve the integrity of your bed and you beat the crap out of the truck bed. You can get plastic liners for very cheap if you go to a spray in place, they have take-offs laying around usually.
Throw a rubber mat on top to keep stuff from sliding around, can pull teh mat if you WANT something to slide in (like a sled).
Plywood if you want a disposable surface that can take a hit from dropping heavy stuff into the bed.
No bedliner and a rubber mat. Keeps stuff from sliding around.
The last one is what I've had in almost every truck I've owned, but I'm too cheap to get a spray in liner and most of the time, there's a tonneau cover or topper on the truck.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Had rhino liner in my last truck. Turbo liner in my new one. Think the Turbo will hold up way better. Feels a lot harder. I did like the rhino better though because it was a little softer and didn't allow things to slide all over. You put a cooler by the tailgate, and it stayed there! With the turbo liner, and even the line-x, you put a cooler by the tailgate, and it ends up upside down and backwards in the front of the bed. Everything slides all over! Pain to have to crawl in the bed every time to retrieve your crap.
Just my observation

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Line x all the way, there is a reason they are number in the industry!!! My buddy owns a line x shop and ive seen what its capable of, cant go wrong with line x

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Premium Features