• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walleye fishing rods and reels?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
What is a good walleye fishing rod and reel too. Nothing overly spendy but something that is good quality.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Are you buying one pole for only catching walleye? If so that makes a difference!!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Any old rod and reel will work, but I like the ugly sticks in a light action, seems like you can feel a lot more when jigging

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Pretty much just for walleye some pike too. A good all round rod would be nice to. What kind of reels are quality but not super expensive? What do you use for line i think i might try spider wire.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
8lbs spider wire is good stuff. If I was you I would do 2 different poles if your after pike also. Pike seem to get much larger then walleye and I tend to use a heavier string when pike fishing JMO. I would go with a medium duty rod for pike just because of how we fish for pike around here. We do a lot of trolling for them and that seems to bend a little duty rod way to much for my liking. I guess it kinda depends on if your fishing rivers or lakes for these fish too. I have about 4-5 poles that I can pick from depending on what I'm after that day.:face-icon-small-hap

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Well i fish on rivers and lakes. We troll for the walleye with spinners, but you will catch pike too. So we have decided to start keeping the pike and are going to pikle them.

Premium Features