• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA DTS Tracker or BCA Tracker 2 Beacon

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Need to buy my first beacon this year. These are the two im looking at. Not knowing much about them yet is the a big difference between the 2 of them. Other then the $55. Which is the better choice?

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
i went with the tracker 2 bought mine about a year ago...if i remember right the tracker 2 is a 3 antenna beacon and is even easier to use. Witch is a huge plus imo since when avys happen and someone is buried you are most likely going to freak out especially if that person is close to you.

But do some research on the net about them both, lots of reviews on them. They are both good beacons though.

M
Nov 13, 2010
The BCA Tracker 2 is easier to use.... It's been a while since i was comparing them- but i think.... On the DTS tracker you can accidently turn it off when going from send to search. And on the Tracker 2 you have a slide that you pull to switch modes.... so it is very quick and easy to do.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
The BCA Tracker 2 is easier to use.... It's been a while since i was comparing them- but i think.... On the DTS tracker you can accidently turn it off when going from send to search. And on the Tracker 2 you have a slide that you pull to switch modes.... so it is very quick and easy to do.

I went with the Tracker 2 for the above reasons. Also if you go to one of Mike Duffy's classes, it is the beacon that he recommends. I will attach a link to his website.

http://www.avalanche1.com/

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the tracker 2 and after what yous have told seems like a no brainer to get that one.

Now i just need to attend a class to learn how to opperate it. :face-icon-small-coo

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the tracker 2 and after what yous have told seems like a no brainer to get that one.

Now i just need to attend a class to learn how to opperate it. :face-icon-small-coo

Get one and attend one of Mike's classes and he will show you how to use it. :usa2:

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Definitely Tracker 2 over Tracker DTS. Greater range, easier to use and faster.

Discount on avalanche gear if you attend a class. Classes are posted on the schedule page at www.avalanche1.com

Thanks for the interest. Mike Duffy

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Definitely Tracker 2 over Tracker DTS. Greater range, easier to use and faster.

Discount on avalanche gear if you attend a class. Classes are posted on the schedule page at www.avalanche1.com

Thanks for the interest. Mike Duffy

Are the classes limited to a certain number of people were a person needs to call and reserve a spot or does a person just show up at place and time of class?

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Classes have limited space, so it's best to sign up in advance. Payment can be made at the time of the class. Mike

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Classes have limited space, so it's best to sign up in advance. Payment can be made at the time of the class. Mike

Mike's classes are top notch. You will not be disappointed. Only thing I wish, is that the class was longer. Keep it up Mike, you made a huge difference in our group and how we look at riding out west. :usa2:

Last edited:

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca

Another question for you Mike. How often do you recommend a person or group of riders do a refresher of your class? It will be 3-years since I took my class in Omaha, NE.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm pretty sure I'lll be picking up a pair of Tracker2 beacons this fall.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Steelman,
Thanks for recommending the class. Some students take the class every year. They say they learn something new every year and it gets them in the right mindset for riding in avalanche terrain. I upgrade the class with new information and techniques every season. I would suggest taking it every couple of years.
Key thing is to take the on the snow rescue class. I looked at all the snowmobile avalanche fatalities last year and there's a common problem. In over half of the accidents, rescuers are failing to uncover the buried person in time due to not being proficient in rescue or with their beacons. Other snowmobilers with training are pulling off some amazing rescues, those without training are making deadly mistakes.
If we want fatalities to drop, what is needed is for more riders to become proficient in rescue. Wearing a beacon is not enough.
Class schedule has been posted at www.avalanche1.com on the schedule page.

I'm ready for winter!

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Steelman,
Thanks for recommending the class. Some students take the class every year. They say they learn something new every year and it gets them in the right mindset for riding in avalanche terrain. I upgrade the class with new information and techniques every season. I would suggest taking it every couple of years.
Key thing is to take the on the snow rescue class. I looked at all the snowmobile avalanche fatalities last year and there's a common problem. In over half of the accidents, rescuers are failing to uncover the buried person in time due to not being proficient in rescue or with their beacons. Other snowmobilers with training are pulling off some amazing rescues, those without training are making deadly mistakes.
If we want fatalities to drop, what is needed is for more riders to become proficient in rescue. Wearing a beacon is not enough.
Class schedule has been posted at www.avalanche1.com on the schedule page.

I'm ready for winter!

Thanks again and I have added your website to my signature. Will give everyone a shortcut to the site.
Thanks Again,
Rob

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
There will be 3 classes in MT. Waiting for the dates to be confirmed.

Premium Features