• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Friends PRO took him a little too Hi!!

J
Mar 26, 2010
Sorry about that! I probably should have put a little input with that pic. He is fine! We found him within 20 seconds of the Avalanche stopping. Dug down to his face and got him some air as fast as possible. He is doing fine and will be back on the sled this weekend. Slide triggered when he got up on a heavly windloaded slab and the crown fracture was at least 10' thick where it broke! Some of the chunks were bigger than a VW bug!! As for stealing his Pro Ride I wont have to because I already have one of my own!! Love it!

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
thank god he is ok, 20 seconds that's amazing, great work on getting him out.

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Glad he's okay but I gotta ask.... What's he doing on a heavily windloaded slab when the Avy Center says the southern Madi range has 'considerable' avy danger???

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My Bad, didn't mean to be so insensitive. I thought he just fell into some deep snow. I didn't realize he was in an avy. Good to see he is ok.

J
Mar 26, 2010
Yes he was wearing a beeper and yes he had an avy pack. He had the handle zipped up at the time because we thought we were done climbing for the day. We found him so quick bc one of the other riders with us saw his fingers sticking through the snow.

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Yes he was wearing a beeper and yes he had an avy pack. He had the handle zipped up at the time because we thought we were done climbing for the day. We found him so quick bc one of the other riders with us saw his fingers sticking through the snow.

I have thought the same at times. Thinking I dont need it right now (handle out). I quess my handle will always be out and accessible. He is lucky.

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
What the ???

After I said thanks for digging my *** out; pretty sure I would've puched you in the FACE for taking a picture of me instead of digging my *** out!! You can still see snow packed inside his flipp'n helmet for Gods sakes!

Talk about a photo-op time??? That's some funny stuff!

J
Mar 26, 2010
Relax man he was fine and talking the whole time. Picture just happened to get snapped as he closed his eyes. I asked him if I could take the pic!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Bummer on the avalanche and awesome that he is OK. I was in a big one in 2004 and it is not fun. I wear an Avalung which I think has more value and costs less than the avalanche airbag systems. It will work even if you are stopped at the bottom of a hill and get buried. The airbag won't do you a damn bit of good in that situation. I also am not sure that I want to be hauling *** down a tree covered mountain with the airbag holding me way up on top. If you hit a tree it is going to hurt!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Bummer on the avalanche and awesome that he is OK. I was in a big one in 2004 and it is not fun. I wear an Avalung which I think has more value and costs less than the avalanche airbag systems. It will work even if you are stopped at the bottom of a hill and get buried. The airbag won't do you a damn bit of good in that situation. I also am not sure that I want to be hauling *** down a tree covered mountain with the airbag holding me way up on top. If you hit a tree it is going to hurt!

Your going to be hauling azz down the hill with or without an airbag. I like my chances much better towards the top of the snow vs the possibility of being at the bottom with the rocks and a guarantee of not being able to see anything coming. BCIL was able to swim to the side of his avy because he was at the top and could see where he needed to go. If he would not have had that advantage, he'd be dead.

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
I just thought it was funny! I could just see the whole scene unfold. My buddies would do the same thing. Once everthing is good; we wouldn't miss the chance to start ripping on each other. I am glad it was a situation where you could take a photo and have a good laugh about it!

And that was the first thread I've read where someone actually said an avi-lung is better than an ABS?? Really? I'll reserve any comments because I just don't know alot about the avi-lung. Do you ride with both? Pretty sure I'd want to be on the top/surface vs. 8 feet below struggling to find my avi-lung??

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
Sorry about that! I probably should have put a little input with that pic. He is fine! We found him within 20 seconds of the Avalanche stopping. Dug down to his face and got him some air as fast as possible. He is doing fine and will be back on the sled this weekend. Slide triggered when he got up on a heavly windloaded slab and the crown fracture was at least 10' thick where it broke! Some of the chunks were bigger than a VW bug!! As for stealing his Pro Ride I wont have to because I already have one of my own!! Love it!

Is it just me or do you come across as being 'stoked' about this just because he was fine. From the sounds of it the slide was pretty damn big..lucky mofo for sure:face-icon-small-con

J
Mar 26, 2010
No I am not STOKED about it! It was a really intense experience that I never want to go through again!! Just wanted to share the pic and a little bit of what happened!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho

The problem with the avalung is you need to get the thing in your mouth and hope the brutality of the avi doesn't rip it out before you need it. Obviously the avi packs need the cord pulled, but if you get it out, after just grin and bare it and hope to hell you get lucky and stay on the top!!

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
Always great to hear good news after something like that. I'm glad to hear you were able to get to him so fast and he was not injured or killed. On a lighter note, how did his sled fare?

Premium Features