• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why I started riding Yamaha again

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Well they definitely improved vastly compared to the apex ...that sled was a handful to ride forsure. At least they have made attempt to get back in the running with incorporating the cat chassis with their motor. Hopefully in the future there able to get the 4 stroke to comparable weight....they would sell a pile if the technology is able to get them there.

I see that some engine makers are playing with electrical solenoid driven valves...this allows for precise tuning ability, no cams, chains,gears ....not sure if the weight savings would be there , but some cool technology advances. (Not that this is a new idea)

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
They know how to make a lighter weight 4 stroke dirt bike

so take two YZF 450 top ends and put on titanium crankcase and bam 900 twin

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
We just installed a power claw on a new 850 pro...great looking sled...curious what didn’t stand up on the axys for you? Buddy was a doo rider but got tired of blowing belts and throwing money away on oil..

Motor blew up at 1100 miles. Power vale cable broke, primary clutch neede rebuilt twice in 1100 miles, bumper tab broke on a light tree bump, thumb warmer failed, raw rails and boards draw blood. Great looking, awesome riding, way to fragile for me though. It is a one season sled and even though I want a new one every year, sometimes I need to ride them for 2-3 years before replacing them. My '14 Por before the Axys was in the shop over a dozen times in one season, three different shops, in order to get it to run right. I definitely wouldn't buy a first year anything from them again. Being a beta tester is a pain...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Well they definitely improved vastly compared to the apex ...that sled was a handful to ride forsure.

I will also say that I have ridden a few sidewinders. I rode Alpine Wy a bunch and did some test rides on the stuff LCC builds. They are nice, and handle much better then an Apex, but you still feel the weight.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Motor blew up at 1100 miles. Power vale cable broke, primary clutch neede rebuilt twice in 1100 miles, bumper tab broke on a light tree bump, thumb warmer failed, raw rails and boards draw blood. Great looking, awesome riding, way to fragile for me though. It is a one season sled and even though I want a new one every year, sometimes I need to ride them for 2-3 years before replacing them. My '14 Por before the Axys was in the shop over a dozen times in one season, three different shops, in order to get it to run right. I definitely wouldn't buy a first year anything from them again. Being a beta tester is a pain...

Welcome to Polaris! Been there done that.
As for the original o p I think Yamaha has a lot of things great going for them I think they just need to take the next step forward!!
Big ten inch with all due respect I think you should step forward with the OP"s direction move this thread forward as it's not in a brand specific thread

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Big ten inch with all due respect I think you should step forward with the OP"s direction move this thread forward as it's not in a brand specific thread

Huh? I have no idea what you mean.

He asked me what went wrong with my Polaris, I responded...

You think I should switch to Yamaha?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Huh? I have no idea what you mean.

He asked me what went wrong with my Polaris, I responded...

You think I should switch to Yamaha?
He said for someone who has not ridden a sidewinder and complains about the weight , you spend a lot of time in a thread that is about the sidewinder.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
He said for someone who has not ridden a sidewinder and complains about the weight , you spend a lot of time in a thread that is about the sidewinder.

Pretty sure I mentioned that there are not any sidewinders around to try. The dealers can not sell them, nobody local owns one. You buy me one and I will try it LOL.

This IS an internet discussion forum right? I am in the right place I think. I understand why sidewinder owners might not want to hear some of the truth about those heavy a$$ sleds but I think it should be part of the discussion in the general snowmobiling section. Move it to the sidewinder section if you want to hang with people who all agree they are the best.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
:grouphug:

I think Big 10 is dead on. If your looking to have a "kumbaya thread" move it to the Yami section. Seems he's been very respectful in his reply's to me. Early season and not much going for entertainment on here, a little brand bashing is to be expected ;)

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Nephew has a winder 2017 I believe. It's a good high horsepower sled that has a weight penalty. I've ridden it liked it was good but it's not 2003. Durability will probably be great but I like a new sled every few years. Takes muscle to ride it for eight hours and be in SHAPE. Lightweight is where it's at more fun even with less horsepower. I was true blue until 2003.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta

Well hopefully my buddy has better luck...he had 2 850 doo’s and was fed up with the clutching, oil consumption, and questionable bulk head strength.

So this Sidewinder will be weighed soon. Here is the mods.....will be very curious what the actual weight will be. Looking like a possibility of 35-45lbs off the front end ...with a possible total of 70-80lbs. This will definitely be closer to a turbo cat or doo. I will post a picture when it’s weighed.

2EC3B954-2B4F-4AF0-B15B-7F04E6450274_zpsuv0jej25.jpeg

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Well hopefully my buddy has better luck...he had 2 850 doo’s and was fed up with the clutching, oil consumption, and questionable bulk head strength.

So this Sidewinder will be weighed soon. Here is the mods.....will be very curious what the actual weight will be. Looking like a possibility of 35-45lbs off the front end ...with a possible total of 70-80lbs. This will definitely be closer to a turbo cat or doo. I will post a picture when it’s weighed.

2EC3B954-2B4F-4AF0-B15B-7F04E6450274_zpsuv0jej25.jpeg

And what do these cost? I was tired of buy a Yamaha and modifying it with 5000 $ in parts to make it work. Every one wants to bash Polaris for durability but it's like a full mod sled with warranty. I've broke stuff on the Yamaha also they have faults also.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
yes mods are mods to each but Polaris at 2000 miles is past its life and a yammi is just broken.....IN. just my .02. not many yammi "fix kits" out there.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
And what do these cost? I was tired of buy a Yamaha and modifying it with 5000 $ in parts to make it work. Every one wants to bash Polaris for durability but it's like a full mod sled with warranty. I've broke stuff on the Yamaha also they have faults also.

I agree, done with spending a pile to make them something else. Honestly at the end of the day I don’t notice a difference when I’m out of gas Lol. How much weight less would that be??

But if someone has the cash for all the mods ...that’s awesome ...excited for them!!!!! Anyway still will be interesting to see the final number.

Last edited:

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
yes mods are mods to each but Polaris at 2000 miles is past its life and a yammi is just broken.....IN. just my .02. not many yammi "fix kits" out there.

This is one of the reasons I ride Yamaha. My apex I rode from 2005/06 season to 2011/12....and that was 17psi of boost from day one. I still don’t know how a stock apex feels for power. Lol

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think some of those weight reduction numbers are a bit optimistic. Is the 280 track really 15 lbs lighter than the same length PC? How does the belt drive drop 4 more lbs on this chassis than the similar Cat chassis? Post up when it is done, I am betting on more like 60 lbs and $6k to get there.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I think some of those weight reduction numbers are a bit optimistic. Is the 280 track really 15 lbs lighter than the same length PC? How does the belt drive drop 4 more lbs on this chassis than the similar Cat chassis? Post up when it is done, I am betting on more like 60 lbs and $6k to get there.

Yeah I agree...thinking will be less savings than estimated. Time will tell

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
First off I have never owned or ridden a Sidewinder. My only experience is my Turbo Viper. The biggest problem I see is the bulk of the weight is in the front. Even with loosing weight from mods the front is always going to be heavy and be out of balance. This is just my experience on my sled.

Premium Features