• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex MPI Supercharger install

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Trying to finish my MPI install and I am having fits trying to finish it off and looking for some advice.

The elbow that goes into the blower seems to be too big. When I get it on the blower it's smashed into the motor mount and crushes the elbow into an oval. If I keep the ring insert in to keep it round, it comes off the blower when I try to clamp it down.

Also the filter seems too small to clamp around the elbow and comes off when trying to clamp it down as well.

Ironically this step in the process has taken longer than the entire install.

Any one got any ideas or fixes for this? I've talked with MPI and they know this is a problem due to the new silicone provider, but don't have any solutions yet.

Also, looking for ideas on a good source for keyed 12v power for my gauges and fuel pump, where is the best place to tap into?

Thanks

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
This a stage 1?

Also I tapped the headlight wire and used that to feed a relay and connect all my gauges directly off the battery, they come on with the switch now. I would run your own relayed harness to minimize any possible electrical issues down the road.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Yes it's a stage 1, sorry.

Will the headlight handle that many taps, even with relays? I'm gonna be running two gauges, a boost-it controller and a MSD fuel pump.

Thanks

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Just run one tap from the headlight to the relay then hook up everything directly to the battery through a large wire harness. If your doing the fuel pump you may want to just tap that instead otherwise your fuel pump wont come on with the key.

A relay just needs a signal from a wire and it put no load on that wire. Once you have that it switches and supplys the power from the battery directly...hence a relay.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
For the elbow just brute force it on and go, your just trying to prevent snow from getting in the engine so get it secure and go. Ironically mine fits like a glove and I didn't have to "sqoosh' anything. One thing to call mpi might be to ask if there are different size elbows and make sure you got the right one. What do they reccomend? The kits are far to overengineered to just shrug thier shoulders.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Well from what they say is the old manufacturer (blue/red hoses) were much thinner and more pliable.

The new ones (black) are much thicker. In fact the reason the filter element won't fit over the hose is because it's meant to fit on a 2 1/2 inch OD, but the new one is 2 3/4 inches.

Because of this "extra" thickness, I can't get it to bend easily, it's tighter on the blower, closer to the motor mount, and tighter on the filter.

If I could just get my hands on an old elbow from what I've seen I'd be set.

Thanks for all the help.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
That "new" black elbow is a POS! It fits like crap. I'm shocked they even send them out knowing how much of a PITA it is.

It can be made to work but its not right and its a bastard to get installed. The wall thickness of the elbow is WAY too thick and makes the O.D. wrong.

Keep trying or try and buy one with the correct I.D and O.D. Eric

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I cut the elbow back where it attaches to the supercharger on a bit of a angel , that helped there, then I went to a muffle shop and had a pipe that fit inside the filter stretched so the other end fit inside the silicone hose and connected it that way. At the end I did cut a hole in the hood and ran a hose through it to get into the fresh cold air. Shame on MPI to send out crap like that.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I agree on the crappy setup.

But I know that MPI is dealing with an extremely TINY spot to deal with, and they have been really helpful in trying to come up with a solution. Hopefully I can fix it soon though it sucks to be sitting on something that seems so simple.

Thanks for the ideas.:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features