• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried these replacement plug wires and caps?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I noticed my plug wires and caps have several gouges in them from rubbing on components while riding. The wear hadn't gone completely through the rubber outer coating of the plug wires but, it's close in a couple spots. I have added electrical tape over the chaffed areas and rerouted the the wires using zip ties in an attempt to stop the rubbing.

The bottom line is, I am thinking about replacing the damaged stock plug wires and caps and I saw these on SLPs website. Has anyone tried them and are they a decent replacement for the stock spark plug caps and wires?

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=2&catID=1&productID=244

Are there better options out there?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I had the same problem and did the same fix as you. Don't think you really need to spend the money and replace them though. As long as you caught it and fixed it they should be good. Besides, I am not sure the ones on the M are real easy to get off the coils?

Aaron

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Slp plugs and wires

Slp's new wires and caps work awsome. There is absolutely no way plug cap can come off of Plug. With pipe off it less than a 5 min job. All MSD caps, wires and cap locks. A little expensive but anyone that has had a cap come off on the mountain will appreciate these.

C

corydoneen

Dec 21, 2010
Eastern Wa
i noticed the same thing on mine last year and put the correct size wire loom over each wire and it seemed to fix it with out a problem

S

SnoShark

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado
I noticed my plug wires and caps have several gouges in them from rubbing on components while riding. The wear hadn't gone completely through the rubber outer coating of the plug wires but, it's close in a couple spots. I have added electrical tape over the chaffed areas and rerouted the the wires using zip ties in an attempt to stop the rubbing.

The bottom line is, I am thinking about replacing the damaged stock plug wires and caps and I saw these on SLPs website. Has anyone tried them and are they a decent replacement for the stock spark plug caps and wires?

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=2&catID=1&productID=244

Are there better options out there?

I have a 10 M8 and had the same thing on two of my wires. I read countless threads, ideas, complaining about lack of warranty, etc.... I finally called my dealer to see if he had any ideas on how to fix it and he told me to send mine in. I received two complete sets of wires and coils no questions asked. I assume he got them covered somehow. Nevertheless, on my new ones I added clear tubing over them and then wire loom (smurf tube) over that. Oh yeah, and then some zip ties for that extra warm fuzzy feeling. Great design fellas! So far so good. CAUTION: I did have one screw strip out and then snap when removing the coil and spent hours trying to drill it out of the T-nut. PITA. Must be another batch of cats high strength bolts....Good luck. I haven't noticed any increase in HP:face-icon-small-ton

S

SnoShark

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado
Make sure you THOROUGHLY check them. The one that is routed by the coolant hose off the reservoir was cut the worst and not visible.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Are we talking about a pacticular year. I have a 2010 HCR and I had a hell of a time getting the spark plug caps off to change plugs.

I have a 2010 M8 and noticed the plug wires were rubbing. In the end it is easier to pull off the expansion chamber and your plugs will be right there.

Premium Features